Distance jump record attempt update

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a suggestion....I agree, running without oil is definitely a bad idea but what about this.....I saw an ad one time about a guy who ran Slick 50 in his airplane motor, he broke an oil line and all the oil left the plane. He still managed to land the plane safely without any oil at all!

Why not run Slick 50, drain it out for the jump, then put it back in afterwards....based on the above testimonial there certainly wouldn't be any harm to the motor, just a jump or two, right? Prolly get three easily!

This is exciting stuff, I'm loving every minute!! :punk:

Good suggestion, but I am afraid that this stuff is so efficient it may cause clutch slippage. Good call on the weight reduction however this may be one place we can't save any weight without sacrificing reliability and safety.

Well not to be rude but this sounds like HORSESHIT jumping a 500+ pound bike and using foam for mounts ect... Pic and video or it did not happen.

I don't know guys....I was pretty skeptical at first when reading about this deal, but these guys seem pretty serious IMO. They're pretty well up on it technically, even tho stuff keeps breaking and falling off 'Skyshot'....but, hey....there's gotta be a pretty steep learning curve here....eh? :confused2:

Actually, I don't think the tech issues are their biggest hurdle....the biggest problem facing them, IMO, is keeping that madman Rockatansky out of the clutches of the local constabulary! :punk:

I was at that point of almost ignoring these attempts at jumping the Vmax. I thought "who in their right mind would jump a vmax"? The longevity of my thought process, I came to find out, was not long enough. I needed to push through my insecurities about jumping from my last attempt to take a motorized vehicle skyward (which ended badly for my YZ250; bent in handlebars/ ripped off fenders/ I was lucky to have tumbled off upon landing and sliding watching the dismantling of my bike).
I have come around now to see that the Vmax with it's powerful motor c ould be the one to set a jumping record! It is going to take daring. It is going to take masterful skills. It is going to take a few parts welded on for in flight control. But it can ad will be done, and if you cannot wrap your thoughts around that, give it a bit to understand the possibilities!
****************With Vboost we fly!****************

I was at that point of almost ignoring these attempts at jumping the Vmax. I thought "who in their right mind would jump a vmax"? The longevity of my thought process, I came to find out, was not long enough. I needed to push through my insecurities about jumping from my last attempt to take a motorized vehicle skyward (which ended badly for my YZ250; bent in handlebars/ ripped off fenders/ I was lucky to have tumbled off upon landing and sliding watching the dismantling of my bike).
I have come around now to see that the Vmax with it's powerful motor c ould be the one to set a jumping record! It is going to take daring. It is going to take masterful skills. It is going to take a few parts welded on for in flight control. But it can ad will be done, and if you cannot wrap your thoughts around that, give it a bit to understand the possibilities!
****************With Vboost we fly!****************

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement guys. Btw, I must say that Redbone has by far the best and perhaps the most regularly updated Avatar of anyone on the forum, please keep up the good work. 85maxfan had a similar experience with his YZ 125 back in the day when he impacted an oddesy WOT in 4th gear, the bike just seemed to come apart along with several of his appendages. My YZ 250 suffered some parts damage when I seperated from the bike on a stadium jump and landed on my A@#! Never thought my ass would swell up like that and luckily no spine damage on that one! My GSXR 1100 seemed to not stand up very well either when I planted it under the rear of a 1990 chevy after failing to slow down from a very sucessful wheelie some years back.

Danny, funny you mentioned it but I got a warning the other night in a construction zone on the Kawasaki, lucky. The last thing I need right now is to lose my license and screw up our chances! Since you focus and perspective seems to be razor sharp I was hoping you could give me some advice on music. Up to this point I have been relying on BLS and Motothead for some hardcore motivation but I thought a man of you intellect could provide something of exceptional value? Thanks in advance!

If you're concerned about safety, I'd think having a frame held together with hose clamps and no engine mounts would be of slightly higher concern. See why I'm having a hard time taking this as anything but a running joke?

Its to heavy. Weak ass frame and way to much suspenion needed. Its suicide. Gonna bounce ur ass right off that thing. The Vmax is great but not for jumping anything over two feet. You would have to have such a smooth transition in ur landing. You would have to land on a down hill. I CALL FARSE!!!!!! BULLSHIT.

Wait a second, are you/they talking about the longest Vmax jump or the longest motorcycle jump. If it just the Longest Vmax jump it probably wouldnt be that hard, dout anyone has done it.

DID someone say motivational music???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZhbN9vNIGU
[

If you're concerned about safety, I'd think having a frame held together with hose clamps and no engine mounts would be of slightly higher concern. See why I'm having a hard time taking this as anything but a running joke?

Skyshot is NOT held together with hose clamps. It is REINFORCED with them. We welded the repair. I work extensively with aerospace materials and state categorically that the two part foam we are considering is MUCH stronger than the stock mounts. This may be a "joke" to you but its easy to document which of us gets the record buddy.

Well not to be rude but this sounds like HORSESHIT jumping a 500+ pound bike and using foam for mounts ect... Pic and video or it did not happen.

Skyshot weighs 629 wet and with foam in the hoops. We have NOT said we hold the record, we have said we will. Once we publish the video I predict you will be right there claiming it has been falsified right?

One thing that folks need to take into account is the LANDING. Unless these gents are extremely deranged they will have a landing ramp for sure. The purpose of a landing ramp is to convert downward momentum to ANGULAR momentum. Yes the stresses are much higher than what the bike was designed to handle, but with a lot of prep it can be made strong enough to survive. It is not as if they wanted to go 300' in the air and land on flat ground:biglaugh:

Know that weight is an issue, but I would think that gussetting the frame in strategic areas would be warranted for sure. Possibly getting a set of aluminum rearsets to replace the cast peg mounts:confused2: Just a thought.

One thing that folks need to take into account is the LANDING. Unless these gents are extremely deranged they will have a landing ramp for sure. The purpose of a landing ramp is to convert downward momentum to ANGULAR momentum. Yes the stresses are much higher than what the bike was designed to handle, but with a lot of prep it can be made strong enough to survive. It is not as if they wanted to go 300' in the air and land on flat ground:biglaugh:

Know that weight is an issue, but I would think that gussetting the frame in strategic areas would be warranted for sure. Possibly getting a set of aluminum rearsets to replace the cast peg mounts:confused2: Just a thought.
Thanks for the positive feedback on the pegs Jim. Rockatansky and I welcome CONSTRUCTIVE comments. Since rules govern just what mods are allowed in the stock category we will see if it passes tech.

IF and this is a big IF he was serious about jumping the bike the peg area needs work. Number on the peg mounting flange gets bent with a simple drop. If the pegs are angled wrong now then likely it's from bending that surface (look and see if it looks like the surface is not flat).

You could send a few pics of the area damaged and that would lend a little credence to the whole thread without giving up yours secrets. Even a pic of the broken backbone would help.

Otherwise I must assume this is Jon Cornell with some sort of agenda to get stuff stirred up,.

Sean

Danny, funny you mentioned it but I got a warning the other night in a construction zone on the Kawasaki, lucky. The last thing I need right now is to lose my license and screw up our chances! Since you focus and perspective seems to be razor sharp I was hoping you could give me some advice on music. Up to this point I have been relying on BLS and Motothead for some hardcore motivation but I thought a man of you intellect could provide something of exceptional value? Thanks in advance!

Mmmm...construction zones translate into inflated fines & license blemishes....best to avoid them!!
Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to help you on the motivating tunes thing as, these days I seem more attracted to the de-motivational stuff....the calm soothing, and sometimes spooky guitar work of William Elliott for example. I find it heightens the mind and intensifies sensations. While I fully understand your need, nay....craving for head banging motivational tunes, why not give the mellow stuff a shot.....it may just possibly help you become 'one with your flight'! At the very least it will take the pressing weight of the 'need to suceed' off making you a little lighter!

Mmmm...construction zones translate into inflated fines & license blemishes....best to avoid them!!
Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to help you on the motivating tunes thing as, these days I seem more attracted to the de-motivational stuff....the calm soothing, and sometimes spooky guitar work of William Elliott for example. I find it heightens the mind and intensifies sensations. While I fully understand your need, nay....craving for head banging motivational tunes, why not give the mellow stuff a shot.....it may just possibly help you become 'one with your flight'! At the very least it will take the pressing weight of the 'need to suceed' off making you a little lighter!

Trust me, we need to keep Rockatansky off of the Pantera or Slayer until after he puts down any tools.

You should get in touch with the ricor rep that was on the site here for a short stint. Maybe they would be interested in coming up with some kind of custom suspension setup for your record attemp. Possibly a true dual spring setup for the front end with custom valved intiminators. Its always good to have a sponsor.

Skyshot is NOT held together with hose clamps. It is REINFORCED with them. We welded the repair. I work extensively with aerospace materials and state categorically that the two part foam we are considering is MUCH stronger than the stock mounts. This may be a "joke" to you but its easy to document which of us gets the record buddy.
I work in the aerospace industry too. What kinda foam are you going to be using. My biggest concern would be a bad mofo of a tank slapper on the landing.

Latest posts

Back