EBC vs Galfer rear rotor & warpage..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
have a galfer rear, and it seems to might be warping already. should know soon.

so basically question is, does anyone here have galfers solid or ebc's solid rotor and have ever seen/had any warpage with them?

i may switch to ebc since i had it on my last vmax and it worked well for the couple hundred miles i had until i sold it.

pics of each incase unclear. first is galfer, second is ebc.

Attachments

• SSPX0343.jpg
    SSPX0343.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 61
  • SSPX0022.jpg
    SSPX0022.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 62
I thought Galfers was quality (should be at that price!) but I keep hearing stories like yours.

I say buy a cheap Chinese rotor like mine - they're nice and straight and me, Jedi, Redbone and KJ will all vouch for the fact that they don't warp!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230371852034&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you buy two I'll have the other one - I wouldn't mind upgrading my rear to make it look nice like my fronts..

I installed three of these rotors (2 front/ 1 rear) and have had -0- issues. EBC HH pads on rear as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 70
Anyone contemplating replacing fronts and rears with the Chinese ebay ones should consider buying 3 pairs with a friend and split the sets as only 3 are required obviously, as they can't be bought individually .
That's what I did and we got a slight price break in doing so.
Last ones I bought I dealt directly with the guy in Hong kong .

As for performance I think they're fantastic.

Have Galfer on front and rear with Galfer pads, bought them last year and no problem at all.
I was scared to get the chinese ones even if those look the same and cost half the price.

I guess the difference can be made on a long term only.

Galfer is giving lifetime guaranty as long as you use their pads too tho.

I'm interested in 3 chinese rotors - Jedi did you just email the guy from HK and ask for a price on 3 sets? Anyone else thinking of doing this soon?

what are they, where did a get them and how much??? and no issues with them???
Mine are the same as Jedi, NaughtyG and KJShover's and they are from Ebay vendor in Hong Kong. He had a ad running here on VMF selling them last year. I emailed the guy and he sold me 3 for $270 shipped. I probably should have just bought 2 sets and sold the 4th disc. But they work and look great.:punk:

what are they, where did a get them and how much??? and no issues with them???

Check out my post in this thread earlier - it's got the fleaBay link to these rotors.

Only issue I had was with me doing a poor fitting (doh!) and I've sorted it since. They brake so much better than stock rotors.

i do like the looks, and just don't wanna go that route quite yet. i like to stick with more name brand stuff for brakes, but well, we see how that got me, but anyways, i liked the EBC on my last bike, and was hoping to hear from a few others running that rear, and a couple others running the rear solid galfer.

the rear ebc solid rotor looks good and matches stock and has enough stopping power for me, if i remember correctly.

anyone else chime in with galfer/ebc info?

got back from the machine shop. rear is warped with a difference of 7 thousandths. well over galfers limit of 3 thousandths. think i'm gonna try EBC. not sure yet tho.

may have a shiny new galfer rotor for sale.

I have warped every solid rear rotor I've tried.

Does anyone have a source for a good floating rear rotor for the 88 max?

Is it safe to use a floating rear rotor on the gen1 vmax?

I have a floaing rear, but a floating disc needs a floating caliper

P1040374b.jpg P1040385b.jpg

PS: I replaced the front with an almost new set from a R6 and put moved one of the old front discs onto the rear

You should get in touch with Jedi from NZ.

He has an adaptor that will relocate the rear caliper which in turn will allow you to use any rotor that fits the front wheel of 93-07 vmax. Check the first page of this thread and check out redbones picture of his rear wheel. He has the adaptor setup on his bike.

I recently purchased one but plan to use a OEM yamaha rotor on the rear.

Good to see you on here again Gleno! I use the ebay style wavy rotor with Jedi's adapter as Mike alluded to and I have used this setup for 2 full seasons. I use HH pads and it has a progressive feel to it although I like to keep it adjusted soft so the pedal has to travel a good bit before causing lockup.
EDIT: 280mm rotor
IMG_0045.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys. :clapping:

I've pm'd Jedi and look forward to hearing about his solution.

i plan on doing the same thing soon too gleno!, i have an adapter and finally found some rotors for a good deal!

I think I have one of the Jedi adapters on hand (since I stock and sell his products stateside). BUT, you don't have to have it be floating to work fine. There is plenty of rear brake with the stock size rotor anyway. I may have an EBC floating rear around here somewhere too.

Sean

I think I got it wrong above, floating discs go with almost anything

I think it's solid disc with solid caliper that is NOT Ok

:ummm:

I'm running eBay wavy's front and rear (w/Jedi's adapter) as well. No issues at all. One of the best things I've done to the max.

wavey.jpg

Back