FIrst Post please help me decide......

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccostlin

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a 1992 with 12000 miles, it looks clean and doesnt appear to have any issues. however it is winter here and I cant ride it to check the tranny. should I be concerned or just pull the trigger. I can get it for 2500.00.

I am supposed to meet up with the guy after work tonight....so any and all advice is welcome. I am only concerned with the boost operating correctly and the 2nd gear issue as I cannot really test those without riding it...

That's a great price if it's clean. Keep in mind that won't get you the larger brakes and forks. '96 on is what I recommend. '92 is a great bike though.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

that is a good question.. is there a dyno shop nearby? maybe give him $2000 now and $500 after you do a couple dyno runs (should be $50) and make sure 2nd isn't slipping

2nd should be fine but I have seen them go bad before that. They have also lasted far far longer then that too. It's all on how it's treat. Looks aren't everything but that's where i'd start. If it looks like someone cared a bit for it then you are likely going to be getting a good deal.

It would be a long way to ship but we have a few good ones for sale too (but no where close to that amount). I will have a 94 available before too much longer that isn't in the list (see the bikes for sale section of the Morleys Muscle section). It should be closer to that pricing but still $1000-$1500 more.

Sean Morley

I have a chance to buy a 1992 with 12000 miles, it looks clean and doesnt appear to have any issues. however it is winter here and I cant ride it to check the tranny. should I be concerned or just pull the trigger. I can get it for 2500.00.

I am supposed to meet up with the guy after work tonight....so any and all advice is welcome. I am only concerned with the boost operating correctly and the 2nd gear issue as I cannot really test those without riding it...

Buy it . If it starts easily and idles good , rev it up a bit once it's warm & listen closely for wierd noises. 630 miles a year for 19 years. Chances are 2 nd is O.K. I'd worry more about the carbs . Brakes we can upgrade if you need.

My '90 ran great , no 2 nd problems at all.

without riding it i wouldnt feel comfortable over 2k. it would have to be clean and i mean clean for a 92 with no test ride. if everything checked out and the chrome still shined and it didnt leak any fluids id go up to 3 to be honest. but thats about as much as a stock 92 is ever gonna be worth

What part of MI you in? Take a little time on this one, chances are he will have it a little while. Miles and price sound good if it's in good condition....

The price sounds good, might be worth the gamble, what part of MI are you from?..........................Tom.

$2500? My 2 cents - buy it. If you have ANY mechanical ability & accept tips & ideas from all on this site, you will MAKE it a good deal. The more effort you put into it, the more you will enjoy it when it's right. As long as it starts & runs descent I would pull the trigger. Launch it after the snow clears. I'll bet you'll be fine...

I am in lansing MI, I will mainly use it to run up to my lake house north of Grand rapids and to work (26 Miles one way). I have good mechanical ability Ive Been racing motocross my whole life and I can rebuild virtually any dirtbike two or fourstroke including the lower ends. if I have a manual I am sure I can handle any repairs. splitting cases on a motor that big seems like a daunting task though....

thanks for all the replys, I am meeting the guy a little after lunch tomorrow. I wanted it to be light out when I check it out.

Heres the only pic I have, the guy said it has a brand new back tire and there is no rust or corrsion on it anywhere. I guess we will see tomorrow...
vmax by mccostlin, on Flickr

My ' 90 looked like that when I bought it in '04 with 3,750 miles on it , except it was blue .

Now ,

Attachments

• 10-13-10 Pictures 191.jpg
    10-13-10 Pictures 191.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 11-26-10 348.jpg
    11-26-10 348.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 13
Looks super if that's not a picture of it when it was new... Could be a great find....:biglaugh:

Good Luck and Welcome to The VMF..

It looks exactly like mine did when I bought it in '07, in fact mine was probably in a little rougher shape and I paid $3500! If I knew then what I knew now!
Welcome to the forum, take a look at the bike, if you have questions that the seller can't answer maybe one of us can help before you make the deal. It looks great but seeing it in person will be key. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 14
Well I bought it!!

looks good, only issue I can see is a little pitting or maybe its the clearcoat lifting on the scoops and the same on the gold looking portion of the clutch cover and magneto cover on sides of the engine next to the foot pegs.

I am sure I will find the fixes for both when I have time to search the forum. I rode it and it shifted fine idled great from a cold start, no hesitation or stumbles.. and man was it effing freezing...

so thanks for the advice and I will load up some good pic a little later tonight.

I can see the $$ slipping from my grasps in short order because of this bike........

Hey Mccostlin,
congrats on your V-Max buy & welcome to the forum. You're going to love the V-Max ride .... :punk:
Lots of good people & information here to help you. I'm only an hour northeast of you, some members are even closer, if you need any help or special tools (like to sync the carbs); so give a shout out if you do !

Congrats Mccostlin, looks like a hell of a buy!

Welcome to the forum, ask any questions you might have, we'll try to help out :punk:

Latest posts

Back