fork air eqaulizing tube

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfunster

Reaction score
I have been wanting to lower the front end of my '92 Vmax by lowering the forks in the trees. I've read here how and why to do it but I quickly found out that there is a tube that connects across both fork tubes to equalize the air pressure. I also have a '96 (not currently driving) that doesn't have the tube so that one looks possible.
Is there any way to do this without permanently change the air setup.
I would just like to do this temporarily to see if I want to try new forks and a lowering kit.

Thanks

i think you could, in theory, swap the front ends and then lower it from there. you'd need the triple from the newer forks though. i think you could do it with any year wheel, newer rotor, newer forks, newer calipers

I have a 94, what equalizing tube? Mine never had it and the forks on it now are 97 and they don't have it either.:ummm:

I have a 94, what equalizing tube? Mine never had it and the forks on it now are 97 and they don't have it either.:ummm:

Its an aftermarket piece. It was big in the XS11 world several years ago. Don't see them made much anymore. with the addition of progressives, emulators and the such made the need for air up front pretty much a thing of the past.

Pre '93 forks have a equalizing tube that runs between the forks just below the upper triple clamp. There is no way to do this temporarily without having all your fork oil pumped out of the holes left from removing the air tube.
Since you have the later forks I would just do the swap, which would require moving the '96 triples as well as Garrett mentioned.

Pre '93 forks have a equalizing tube that runs between the forks just below the upper triple clamp. There is no way to do this temporarily without having all your fork oil pumped out of the holes left from removing the air tube.
Since you have the later forks I would just do the swap, which would require moving the '96 triples as well as Garrett mentioned.

On "Skyshot" Rockatansky and I removed the assembly and welded up the holes to allow topping the fork tubes up with 90W hypoid for jumping. Didn't see much point in retaining the equilizing tube for that application as it would just be another thing to fail upon landing.
Might be the route to go for lowering too.....

KJShover: Thanx, I had an XS and an XJ many years ago, I think I vaguely remember a balancing tube on the XJ. But then again, I'm not certain.:bang head:

Sean built the forks I have on my Max. No Air, No Worry.

Thanks for the information, I thought it was kinda strange that no one had ever mentioned the balance tube in all of the fork lowering posts that I could find.
I have plans for the '96 so I may just have to do the internal fork lowering with new springs. anybody have a cheap pair for sale?

Last edited:
what do you need exactly?

I have some OEM springs in good shape and some lowering springs from progressive. you could make your own spacer. If interested PM me.

From my way of thinking lowering the front with oem springs is just asking for problems, during hard braking the tire can get into the radiator with the weaker springs. On one Vmax I had with oem springs, I put an oversize tire on front and it would catch on the radiator screen.

I suppose you could increase the preload to minimize that, but then why not just go with progressive pr racetech?

I am going to buy a 2005 vmax next week. It is a one owner, and the guy tells me that he noticed that it won't hold air pressure in the front forks right after his warranty ran out. What will I need to do to fix this??? Seals??? Is it a big deal to fix or a shade tree job???

I am going to buy a 2005 vmax next week. It is a one owner, and the guy tells me that he noticed that it won't hold air pressure in the front forks right after his warranty ran out. What will I need to do to fix this??? Seals??? Is it a big deal to fix or a shade tree job???

just watch Sean's "how to disassemble forks" video - find it by searching - walks you through step by step :clapping:

I have been wanting to lower the front end of my '92 Vmax by lowering the forks in the trees. I've read here how and why to do it but I quickly found out that there is a tube that connects across both fork tubes to equalize the air pressure. I also have a '96 (not currently driving) that doesn't have the tube so that one looks possible.
Is there any way to do this without permanently change the air setup.
I would just like to do this temporarily to see if I want to try new forks and a lowering kit.

Thanks

i didn't lower mine, but i did eliminate the equalizing tube using "quick steel" - also replaced the seals and changed to 15w fork oil... seems great and hardly any dive, so lowering 1" not likely to be an issue. Sean also agreed with this in another thread - maximum 1" lowering with stock springs.

Back