free sloppy clutch lever fix

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok let me "enlighten"
biglaugh.gif
. i was making a play on words in the expression "taking the wind out of my sails". when one is sailing a boat everything is great and life is good as long as your sails are full of wind. however, once the wind stops your sails deflate and life is not as good anymore. so i was feeling good about myself b/c i thought i found a cool fix and as such "my sails were full". but then the thought of my fix not being so great caused my "sails to deflate" or "the wind was taken out of my sails".

Not true Nin, it's a great fix! Upon further review I'm thinking the copper may be the perfect material to use, it's easy to replace and with a little grease will probably last a long time! :clapping:

Not true Nin, it's a great fix! Upon further review I'm thinking the copper may be the perfect material to use, it's easy to replace and with a little grease will probably last a long time! :clapping:
fingers-crossed-smile.gif
. you mean this could be as cool as your head bearing notch? hehehehe

"The mutual backslapping is getting thick in here!" thought Blurr as he quickly grabed at his keys and made a mad dash out the door. As he drove away he was amazed that once more He learned a new trick from this extremely informative,if motley group...
:punk:

Awesome kinda thought getting this fixed was going to have to wait on either my knowledge of the bike or my mechanical skills to catch up with it. Feel like the guy walking up the stairs when someone announces the elevator has been fixed.

Since we r talking about the clutch master cylinder. Wuts the best way to bleed em. I'm having such a hard time. This is the only thing stoping me from riding.

89VMAXBK, get a large syringe and some clear tubing that fits both the bleeder and the syringe. Then fill the syringe with brake fluid and push it through the bleeder. This way, all the bubbles will be going up, which they want to do anyway. A couple of cycles of this method should remove all the air in the line. Saw a thread where someone posted this and it worked like a charm for me when I changed to ss brake and clutch lines. Depress the syringe slooooooowly though, otherwise brake fluid shoots out of the reservoir up top.

I've been using random metal and delrin (plastic) washers now for years in different levers to take out slop. An old habit i picked up wrenching on DH Mountain bikes with sloppy stock levers. Always hated that slop and was just thinking the other day about going after the slop in my own clutch lever. Thanks for the motivation.

I'm sorry, I can't wrap my tiny brain around this......do I need to take off the clutch lever? Are you saying I take those small copper washers and smash them into an oval shape and just jam them in the gap (in the second picture)?? Thanks for clarifying, my loose clutch lever drives me nuts!

I'm sorry, I can't wrap my tiny brain around this......do I need to take off the clutch lever? Are you saying I take those small copper washers and smash them into an oval shape and just jam them in the gap (in the second picture)?? Thanks for clarifying, my loose clutch lever drives me nuts!

My brother informed me the new adjustables that people found from china all but eliminate the slop

I just went out and smashed a copper washer and installed it and it works great for up and down slop but now when i pull the lever in and let it out it only come's out as far as master returns it. How do i adjust the push rod on the master or can i do something else to adjust the in and out slop.

You try some grease on the flattened washer? maybe you have the bolt too tight?

Sent from my Tapatalking Hercules Android

I tried they bolt deal. Still would like to remove slop.

I tried they bolt deal. Still would like to remove slop.

There was a clutch lever mod a year or more ago (one of the forum users here was offering it for a while and did mine) which was totally sorted - it involved drilling the lever hinge hole and inserting a strong bearing cylinder if I remember right, as well as replacing the hinge bolt. This really took the slop out, and made the clutch action feel much nice too.

Use the search engine for 'clutch lever mod'

There was a clutch lever mod a year or more ago (one of the forum users here was offering it for a while and did mine) which was totally sorted - it involved drilling the lever hinge hole and inserting a strong bearing cylinder if I remember right, as well as replacing the hinge bolt. This really took the slop out, and made the clutch action feel much nice too.

Use the search engine for 'clutch lever mod'

Ya I remember the one your talking about naughty. The thread ended with the guy thinking of having the bearings made by someone else, but that was the last of it. Nothing ever panned out from it...not that I remember

Sent from my Tapatalking Hercules Android

No, but I think a similar setup. Bearing with custom bolt. Should be getting the batch of parts in sometime this next week.

Back