Front brake pads 2006-squeal!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxpooka

Reaction score
Front brakes on my 2006 squeal, unless you really grab a handfull! They are the stock pads and have plenty of meat left on them. I took the pads out today to look at them, and they have "HH Front Only" stamped on them. Looking at previous posts on this forum, I know that everyone recomends EBC HH pads, but if I buy them, will I have the same situation?? The rotors look fine, no glazing, grooves or discoloration. I think Yamaha changed the front brakes in 1992 if I'm not mistaken.....the older bikes used the same pads front and rear...my front pads are wider than the rear. Where is a good place to pick up a set of pads for the front? It seems everywher I check lists only up to 1992. Any thoughts are appreciated!!

Remove the pads and clean the back of them and the pistons with a toothbrush, soap and water. Then, put a dab of grease where the pistons contact the pads. Dust gets in between there and causes a vibration/squealing. Clean your rotors too.

Are the HH pads on the 06 similar to the EBC HH? I have read several posts about the stockers being "junk"?? As for the cleaning and dab of grease, I will give it a try tomorrow....its supposed to rain, I might not be able to test it right away. Thanks for the suggestion, I will give an update.

I wasn't aware stock pads were HH. I know early models weren't but perhaps they changed?

You may as well toss the pads. You have glazed them. They werent broken in properly when installed. What float adjuster says will stop the squek for awhile but it will come back...
Proper way to fix it.

Order some new pads.
Rotors, replace them, have them turned, or resurface them yourself with 60..80 grit paper.
Properly break the new pads in for the first 250 miles.

No more squeaking..

This is like a squeaky fan belt,, sure ya can pussy foot around with spraying it with some 2.99 can of bullshit, but it will always squeak.

I have an 06 also.
I had the same exact problem the first year I had my Max.
I tried sanding them, greasing the back, break cleaners. Nothing worked.
Save yourself the headache and just buy a new set of EBC HH pads. I replaced mine and have had them for two years now and NEVER Had a peep out of them. And they are just now starting to get to where I need to get new ones. Was planning on ordering some this week.

I only had my stock pads on for about 150 miles but they were CRAP from day one. EBC HH pads will improve braking a ton. Not all HH pads are created equal.

Make sure you bed them in per the instructions.

Chris

I've never run into a pad yet that wouldn't shut up with a small amount of silicone applied to the area where the piston contacts it. Doesn't seem to matter what color silicone, red, blue or brown - preferrably not clear as it doesn't do well around any heat. It will clean off easily enough in the event you are ever disassembling the wheel cylinders.

You can also gently put more spring in those pad-top anti-squeek devices (not sure what they are really called) that ride between the pad retaining bolts by slightly bending the front and rear tabs on them til they require more downward pressure to reinstall them. (Am I right Mark, in assuming they are there to help prevent vibrations associated with brake squeal?:ummm:)

I always apply a small amount when changing pads as preventative medicine.

hello all, i was doing the double take when you said you put grease on the back side of the pads to reduce the noise ? that could be your problem ,brakes generate heat very fast when applied , that heat will melt the grease to a liquid and because of the CAPILLARITY enviornment of the grease on the pads , the grease will travel from the back side of the pad to the front side that makes contact with the rotor causing the the pads and rotor to glaze and be burnished. the brakes will lose there effectiveness and will have a horrible squeek. if you have grease on any brake part on the bike GET IT OFF!!!. unless you like the thrill of not being able to stop . screech bam boo hoo!!! best to you all buckridge

While your using grease on your brake parts to rig the squeak put some on your seat also makes it all shiney :clapping:

Grease on brake pads.....:rofl_200:

I have always installed my pads dry and dont have any squeaks..
The proper thing is to ensure you break the brakes in the first 250 miles meaning allow them to heat up cool down heat up and cool down this is called temp cycling which prevents glazing.. glazing is squeking

hello all, i was doing the double take when you said you put grease on the back side of the pads to reduce the noise ? that could be your problem ,brakes generate heat very fast when applied , that heat will melt the grease to a liquid and because of the CAPILLARITY enviornment of the grease on the pads , the grease will travel from the back side of the pad to the front side that makes contact with the rotor causing the the pads and rotor to glaze and be burnished. the brakes will lose there effectiveness and will have a horrible squeek. if you have grease on any brake part on the bike GET IT OFF!!!. unless you like the thrill of not being able to stop . screech bam boo hoo!!! best to you all buckridge

I didn't use grease as in greasy grease... Wrong choice of words. I used the gooey shit that comes with break pads to stop the squeaking. IT Didn't work. So I just said the hell with it and bought new pads. They aren't that much money and it was well worth it.

I cleaned everything off tonight and put a coat of anti-squeal compound on the piston contact area. Rode for a while and the squeal was definitly less noticable, but still there. I guess after hearing that other 06 models have the same squeal problem, perhaps getting the EBC HH pads is the best choice. As I think about it, the fronts have squeaked since new, thats probably the reason I have already gone through a set of rears....I think I was unknownly using the rear brakes more than the fronts! Anyone got a favorite place to get the EBC pads for a good price??

I got mine from Gary McCoy at Mondak Motorsports - same 25% discount he gives us on all Yamaha parts. Great deal, dunno if WBR is any cheaper?

Latest posts

Back