Front fork rebuild questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walktheline

Reaction score
When you rebuilt your front forks which seals do you replace - all of them? Is there a list of what part numbers to purchase? Did you go with OEM parts or aftermarket parts? I have looked through the threads and it looks like the progressive springs are an essential modification when doing a rebuild, are there any other mods that would be a "must have" This is the next thing I am looking to do on my Vmax.
Thanks for the info!
Brad
:cheers:

Just the fork seals below the dust seals. Springs along with clean oil will go a long ways.

When you rebuilt your front forks which seals do you replace - all of them? Is there a list of what part numbers to purchase? Did you go with OEM parts or aftermarket parts? I have looked through the threads and it looks like the progressive springs are an essential modification when doing a rebuild, are there any other mods that would be a "must have" This is the next thing I am looking to do on my Vmax.
Thanks for the info!
Brad
:cheers:

I just did this mod, progressive springs and dust and oil seals took care of it for me, did wonders for the handling!

The oem oil & dust seals are better quality than aftermarket parts according to a lot of guys on the forum.

There are a couple good threads in the 'suspension' section, check them out, they'll help you a lot.

I did this mod also, using Progressive lowering springs to lower the fork height by 2". Race Tech also has replacement springs and also make the emulators. You cannot go wrong with either mfg.
Once you lose the the stock pogo springs you be amazed how much better the Vmax feels. Your braking will be better and you will corner with confidence. :thumbs up:

Redbone's got that right! After the spring mod, instead of trying to throw you over the front, the bike will actually stop when you clamp on the front brake!

Part#s Bottom copper washer- 4V4-23158-LO
Oil or Dust seal- 4PU-23144-00 (Not sure which seal, I only kept the parts bag)
Oil or Dust seal- 4PU-23145-01 (same as above)

Good luck, I have a damper rod holding tool you can borrow if you have trouble with the bottom allen bolt.

My upper fork tube has a female alan socket hole,that was what I was referring to.

You are referring to the alan bolt on the bottom, correct?

Piece 17 in the attached pic.

Attachments

• fork.jpg
    fork.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Tom, it's 17 mm. You have an '86 correct? I'm including a pic of a tool we made. It basically has a 17 mm bolt with two lock nuts on the other end. You fit the bolt into the fork cap and then use a regular 17 mm socket over the nuts to loosen. Really easy to make.

img038-1.jpg

Thank you guys for all the great info, I am going to get my parts on order and get this piece of the project started.
Brad

hey guys. looking at the service manual. its saying all the bushings should be replaced as well?

i'm going to do the dust seals and oil seals when i do my progressives. i was planning on ordering new dust/oil seals along with a new ring that holds the oil seal in. do we need all the bushings too? no leaking now but while i got 'em apart i'm gonna do it right.

How about the cap o-ring (the cap that has the air valve on it)? i will probably also get the washer for the drain bolt.

I got the dust and oil seals and the copper washer for the bottom bolt. You don't use air with Progressive springs so the top plug o-ring does not really need replacing, as long as the old one isn't all torn up.

i think its funny that copper washer is just as expensive as the seals almost!

thanks danny. that settles things a bit. for $2 i'll probably do the snap ring as well.

what wt oil did u go w/?

The bushings can get wear over time and allow slop in the fit to the tubes and thus a little extra movement. Unless the bike has say more then 30-40K miles I don't think you need to worry about them. They aren't terribly expensive and easy to swap while the front is apart but in most cases they aren't really needed.

Sean

Latest posts

Back