Garretts random winter questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fibers don't matter other then the notch alignment.

I don't vas the gaskets up but i've seen people do that to make it easier to reuse them if needed. It's not a bad idea to pull the wires through the grommet into the inside of the cover. Clean them up very well and silicon around the wires and then pull them back out drawing the silicon in with them.

Sean

gotcha. so pull the WIRES thru leave the gromet in place. thnx sean.

The fibers don't matter other then the notch alignment.

I don't vas the gaskets up but i've seen people do that to make it easier to reuse them if needed. It's not a bad idea to pull the wires through the grommet into the inside of the cover. Clean them up very well and silicon around the wires and then pull them back out drawing the silicon in with them.

Sean
Those little suckers likes to leak after they get some movement.

so the little heat shield on the back of the middle gear cover fell off at the powder coaters in the oven. since it was still hot and all goey he just slapped it back on once the powder dried and it seems to be stuck back on there. i put some rtv silicone on the edges that weren't down good but whats the point of the damn thing?

also, my starter clutch gear has some 'roughness' to where the dogs engage on it. a little bumpy, is that normal or should it be perfectly smooth?

new question.

what kind of clearance do you guys have on your swingarm to tires? my last swingarm had like maybe a heavy 1/8" clearance with the washer swap but this one has very minimal. I can fit a piece of paper between and it won't grab when spinning the wheel but the 'cardboard' that comes with the engine case gaskets will grab. thats not much clearance. i can see if i have a thicker washer but i dunno..

thoughts? here are some pics:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Attachments

• 2011-02-17 21.24.51.jpg
    2011-02-17 21.24.51.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 2011-02-17 21.25.29.jpg
    2011-02-17 21.25.29.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2
  • 2011-02-17 21.25.50.jpg
    2011-02-17 21.25.50.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2
Garrett, it may not be an issue....put your bike on the centerstand and rev it up in gear....the tire will 'become taller' and probably increase that dimension. Bias tires do anyhow.

Sean will know way more than me regarding this I'm sure.

Garrett, it may not be an issue....put your bike on the centerstand and rev it up in gear....the tire will 'become taller' and probably increase that dimension. Bias tires do anyhow.

Sean will know way more than me regarding this I'm sure.

thanks danny i'll have to check that today or tomorrow once the exhaust is re-installed.

i was going to ask sean or others even, what the minimal amt of clearance is they have run with...

Is that a slick Garrett?

shinko verge 011

Plenty of clearance! We've not even had any problems with tires that slightly rub. They clearance themselves (though remove the paint on the arm when they do that). Your's should have no problems at all.

Sean

Plenty of clearance! We've not even had any problems with tires that slightly rub. They clearance themselves (though remove the paint on the arm when they do that). Your's should have no problems at all.

Sean

thanks sean. when i get a bit i may dig through some of those spare parts and mic the different washers and see if there's a slightly thicker one than the one i have in there.

just wanted to make sure since with the same washer setup i had like 3mm or so clearance last time..

another quick question for you guys. when powdercoating the side covers, have you ever had the mating surfaces coated? i didn't explicitly tell my guy not to and so it had powder on them. i imagine this might cause issues (clutch and middle gear) and i see some tiny weaping but not sure if it was just the gasket and such b/c after i ran the bike it seemed to go away the first time. so just thoughts if anyone had or had not done so with luck.

thanks!

It might, but I thought the same thing after I had my side covers off...it looked to be slightly "weeping" after the first ride. Usually after the first ride, I give all the bolts a tiny extra "oomph" of torque, then use a paper towel to wipe off any residual oil. Then it's fine. Not sure if it may have been slightly leaking, or it was just oil left over from having it off.

I really have no idea what that heat shield looking thing is on the inside of the gear cover, kind of wondered what it was for also. Maybe Yamaha thinks people ride in flip flops and would burn their foot on it? idk.

Mine always seems to leak a little coolant from the plastic radiator drain valve over the winter months. Not huge, but enough to make a small puddle after a few weeks. In the summer it never leaks a drop, so I don't really care. But no oil leaks! Can't have it imitating a harley. A Vmax can claim it's spot without pissing all over the ground, it's presence is enough.

checked on the bike, def an oil drip from the middle gear cover. gonna have to investigate a bit tomorrow, gonna try torquing to like 12 Nm from 10 Nm see if it seals it, if not i'll bring it back to the powdercoaters and he will blast the mating surface back down.

anywho, replacing my velocity stacks, is there any type of sealant used between the stacks and the airbox holes? looked liked there was some stock crap. maybe a dab of rtv would be good?

Hey Garrett. With the powdercoating issue. You should be able to sand the coat off the mating surface. I know its tough stuff, but trust me, it can be done.
Good luck!

Hey Garrett. With the powdercoating issue. You should be able to sand the coat off the mating surface. I know its tough stuff, but trust me, it can be done.
Good luck!

the coater lives 2 miles from me (works out of his house) and will blast it off for me while i wait, so definitely not an issue, good call tho!

Back