Garretts random winter questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've installed 2 of the Kawasaki O-Rings. They fit the area available to the O-Ring and fill it top to bottom. When I pushed the pipes into place, it was a very tight fit. I feel it's almost as good as welding the pipe in place. On my 94 I did the COO Fix too. I don't believe that O-Ring would ever blow out even with several hundred pounds of pressure. The 89 I did the same except used the standard rubber spacer on the bottom of the pipe. I didn't see any need there for more upward force. I feel the same about it's ability to withstand high pressure. The only time I'd expect to find either O-Ring displaced is when the rubber rots away...:rofl_200:

I've installed 2 of the Kawasaki O-Rings. They fit the area available to the O-Ring and fill it top to bottom. When I pushed the pipes into place, it was a very tight fit. I feel it's almost as good as welding the pipe in place. On my 94 I did the COO Fix too. I don't believe that O-Ring would ever blow out even with several hundred pounds of pressure. The 89 I did the same except used the standard rubber spacer on the bottom of the pipe. I didn't see any need there for more upward force. I feel the same about it's ability to withstand high pressure. The only time I'd expect to find either O-Ring displaced is when the rubber rots away...:rofl_200:

were u able to get both in by hand?

bearing shop only had imperial sizes and to be honest ace hardware had a better selection. picked up a few different sizes and will put them on the elbow and measure the od relaxed and how far i can press it with the caliper and decide from there.

przemek was right on the $$ though. the kawi OD was about 20.9mm and the opening is 20.35mm.

I have seen it on a 2005 and a 2006 engine. The 2005 was my own and was taken apart to fix the cracked/busted trans. The 2006 was another members bike on here and his had ring failure. Neither of those two failures was a result of the o-ring in my opinion.

I have only taken apart a couple of engines we have done the Kawi too and both were in place. I would say probably 50-75% of the engines we work on have the o-ring partially popped out. BUT, we also tend to work on the engines that have had a problem of some sort.

have you ever seen an o-ring blow out with the COO stopper or similar?

Have not used or seen the COO setup in use before or after so can't help you there.

well i've given up on trying to get that kawi o-ring in there, plus i know i'm not th eonly one as mike had to bolt his oil panon with the hard COO stopper to pop it into place. not sure thats the right option.

i do have 2x orings that might work...

the stock oring on the elbow has OD of 21.08-21.3mm. compressed just with my thumb on the calipers its 19.75mm

the kawi oring is 21.3 and 20.4 respectively. the hole on the bike is 20.3mm

the two orings i have, loose and compressed are:
21.3-21.6/20.0-20.2
or
21.5-21.6/20.2-20.3

both are thicker and fill the 'sleeve' better than the stock one, those would probably work fine eh? i also ordered a COO stopper, not sure if i need it yet tho.

If you aren't going to use the kawi o-ring I would use the OEM one with the COO bumper. I don't see how the elbow would ever come out with that in there.

I may have a brand new one if you need it. If I can find it.

I'm surprised the oil pan didn't do the trick. i just tightened up the bolts and it popped right in. No drama. Just couldn't push it in by hand.

If you aren't going to use the kawi o-ring I would use the OEM one with the COO bumper. I don't see how the elbow would ever come out with that in there.

I may have a brand new one if you need it. If I can find it.

I'm surprised the oil pan didn't do the trick. i just tightened up the bolts and it popped right in. No drama. Just couldn't push it in by hand.

u said u had the COO bumper on it to do that tho eh? i don't have one yet i used the stock bumper, i think it just squished it.

u said u had the COO bumper on it to do that tho eh? i don't have one yet i used the stock bumper, i think it just squished it.

Yes, I had the COO bumper on when I did it. If I were in your position I would have done some stupid jury rig setup. Something like taking the lid off of a pop (sorry, soda) bottle, putting a couple nickles in it and taped it onto the elbow and bolted the pan on to try and press the elbow in place. Ok, that was just a stupid idea. I wouldn't suggest someone try that, LOL.

Yes, I had the COO bumper on when I did it. If I were in your position I would have done some stupid jury rig setup. Something like taking the lid off of a pop (sorry, soda) bottle, putting a couple nickles in it and taped it onto the elbow and bolted the pan on to try and press the elbow in place. Ok, that was just a stupid idea. I wouldn't suggest someone try that, LOL.

hah don't give me ideas. i'll have to talk to sean about alternatives with the HD oiling kit b/c i think if i try any harder i'm gonna break something.

i spoke with sean at length on the phone today.

(on a side note can i just say that its a wonder that my phone calls don't auto-direct to voicemail or just get dropped with how many times i call the poor guy?)

anyways. i think we're going to try one of the hw store o-rings. they seem much sturdier than the oem POS and they both fit tighter in the cavity. One fits better and i'll get the specs up here in a bit. i'm going to do that, and then also I have the COO stopper coming and the possibility of tying the elbow to the ledge above it with safety wire.

i'm going to leave the o-rings in oil overnight to make sure they don't swell like crazy or anything as well.

Garrett: Sorry I didn't have more answers to help you with your work. You've had as much trouble with this as I would have expected to have myself. My luck with the 2 I've done was very good, for me. You're going through Hell. I sure hope it all comes together for you. And, Thank God we have Sean...:biglaugh:

Dave

That's probably just fine then. A good portion of the o-ring is in the hole (all of it pretty much).

Sean

That's probably just fine then. A good portion of the o-ring is in the hole (all of it pretty much).

Sean

i may still just use one of the other o-rings, gives me a better warm and fuzzy feeling. one of them 'shrunk' in oil overnight the other one stayed the same (the one that fit better anyways) so will probably go with that one.

VITON orings are genaraly the best but they are hard coumpound and also "hard"
to get in many sizes not to mention about multiple higher price.

SILICONE orings are usaly orange color and are very good in most applications, but they are too soft for some tho.

RUBBER, welll rubber like rubber...nothing more to say. Cheapo and universal.

VITON orings are genaraly the best but they are hard coumpound and also "hard"
to get in many sizes not to mention about multiple higher price.

SILICONE orings are usaly orange color and are very good in most applications, but they are too soft for some tho.

RUBBER, welll rubber like rubber...nothing more to say. Cheapo and universal.

are you against rubber?

Back