Good sized nail in rear tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMax1986

Reaction score
My brand new Bridgestone Exedra G526 rear vmax tire (has maybe 200 miles on it) just had a 1 1/2'' nail pulled out from in between the tread, its in the right-hand tread groove. It was buried all the way and when I pulled it out, all the air was gone in about 5 minutes. Should I replace the tire, or would an internal patch work? I would rather not risk any form of blowout, but I dont want to (but will if necessary) spend another $300 for a brand new one. I do enjoy going over 100mph, and would rather the tire not fail.

My brand new Bridgestone Exedra G526 rear vmax tire (has maybe 200 miles on it) just had a 1 1/2'' nail pulled out from in between the tread, its in the right-hand tread groove. It was buried all the way and when I pulled it out, all the air was gone in about 5 minutes. Should I replace the tire, or would an internal patch work? I would rather not risk any form of blowout, but I don't want to (but will if necessary) spend another $300 for a brand new one. I do enjoy going over 100mph, and would rather the tire not fail.

I had the same thing happen after ~ 100 miles of installing a new tire, take the tire off & take it to auto tire repair, they will patch it from the inside and in my case it held up until the tire became bold after 7000 miles.
it cost me $40.00, $20 for a cycle shop to remove and install the tire on the wheel & $20 for the patching at auto tire store.

Harley dealer refused to patch my brothers tire. I'd plug it myself but pulling tire and an inside patch sounds safer.

I guess the tire itself wasnt $300, but mounting and balancing and shipping costs was close to $300. I paid alot for front and back. Ill go to a reputable dealer and have a patch installed.

16910018_xse_13381_pri_larg.jpg

if your going to patch the tire make sure to use a 'plug patch' The patch will work but the plug will fill the hole and make sure to seal it better. It also helps hold the patch in place over the hole. Many tire repair use this system over just a plug or just a patch. I would only use this system to repair a m/c tire
orly_13-673.jpg

Last edited:
16910018_xse_13381_pri_larg.jpg

if your going to patch the tire make sure to use a 'plug patch' The patch will work but the plug will fill the hole and make sure to seal it better. It also helps hold the patch in place over the hole. Many tire repair use this system over just a plug or just a patch. I would only use this system to repair a m/c tire
orly_13-673.jpg

auto tire repair shops do a great job patching it like car tires, the tire they patched was good until the end of its life, they might not be familier with the plug patch & might get spooked & refuse to do it for liability reasons like motorcycle dealers.
if the hole was in the sidewall replacing the tire is the only way.

Luckily the hole is NOT in the sidewall, so I will get the patch and pray for my life until I forget about it.

You can buy these patch plugs at most auto parts stores. They are easy to install, I do all my own repairs. If any where near, at the or in sidewall buy another tire. You prep the inside the same as placing a patch, then you feed the plug side of the patch plug through the hole, finish the patch in side, then cut the plug part even with tire tread. And you have a good repair that will last the life of the tire. I would have the tire rebalanced after the repair. I have never had a tire fail due to this repair type.

Yeah, I have done it myself, patch a tire, or should I say, I have removed a tire and had it patched at a shop, and remounted it myself. Most of the south FL shops will not repair a tire.

On (one of) my KZ1000(s) I had in the '80's, I got a Craftsman 1/8" allen wrench in the tire during my 1st tank of gas after mounting the new tire. I had mag wheels-stock-and instead of patching it I used a tube inside the tire. I did that for other bikes too. It always worked, and let me get normal wear/use out of a tire before replacing it.

If you are going to a track day (unlikely on a VMax) or drag-racing, or doing extended severe-duty use, replace the tire. How much is your life worth? This season I bought new Bridgestone Exedras, mounted & balanced from Competition Cycle Center in Dania Beach FL, I think it was $229 before tax.

Luckily the hole is NOT in the sidewall, so I will get the patch and pray for my life until I forget about it.

I know this has been a touchy subject in the past with the purests saying to buy a new tire....but......i've had two over the years plugged (one in a brand new tire) and the plugs went all the way for the life of the tire without any issues......

I know this has been a touchy subject in the past with the purests saying to buy a new tire....but......i've had two over the years plugged (one in a brand new tire) and the plugs went all the way for the life of the tire without any issues......
+1 I have pluged a couple of rear tires and worn them out. I would do it again. I use the real sticky plugs for large holes and I have small Dyna plugs for smaller holes. There is also a product called Ride on that worked for me. It is similar to slime only designed to be used for the life of the tirehttp://www.ride-on.com/

Follow the instructions and it will repair most punctures located near the middle of the tire.

Avon offers a puncture guarrentee for the first few hundred miles, check to see if Bridgestone offers the same. The Avon Rep stated their policy of not repairing motorcycle tires but they can be repaired, and the repairs are safe if done correctly.

This season I bought new Bridgestone Exedras, mounted & balanced from Competition Cycle Center in Dania Beach FL, I think it was $229 before tax.[/QUOTE]

How do you like the Bridgestones? Avons or Metlezers radials will cost me about $350, the Bridgestone Exedras are about $250. I ride pretty hard and really like the Avons, but $100 savings is worth considering since tires only last me about 3000 miles rear and maybe 5000 front.

I agree, I would go for a patch.
Someone is raping you if you paid $300 for a rear tire!

+ 1 to getting screwed on the tires. I paid $142 for a Metzler radial new,and there are better deals out there, this past Dec. The patch? You like to go fast. Why chance it? I've driven patched tires on cars many times. I can't remember a failure.
uhm00000.gif

Just my opinion,but I'd get a new tire for my bike. I carry a plug kit and air pump and will plug a tire to get home anytime. I'm not recommending plugging your tire either. If repair is the plan, a patch is probably best.
Steve

in my bikes life I've had 4 tires so far... 2 of which picked up nails while brand new (horrible luck) I used regular tire plugs and ran the entire life of the tires without an issue. There is always a risk keep in mind.

Oh hell no! I would plug one to get me home then get a new one. I bought the same tire last season online for $130.00 and $25.00 to have it mounted at my local bike shop, that is a cheap piece of mind for me. I'm sure a patch should hold but for me it's not worth the risk, just my opinion...

Always seems like only new tires pick up nails....never when you're about ready to replace them anyway.

I picked up a screw in a brand new Metz rear. Used a standard automotive tire plugger (the sticky cords), which worked for a couple weeks but it started slowly losing air there again. Pulled the plug and tried re-doing it, which lasted another couple weeks before it started leaking. At that point I replaced it. Called a couple shops and all of them refused to patch a MC tire.

This was also right in a tread groove in the center of the tread.

I'd feel safe with an internal patch on the long term, though the standard plugger cords do work I see them as a temporary "get you home" fix only, then have it internally patched or replaced.

My brand new Bridgestone Exedra G526 rear vmax tire (has maybe 200 miles on it) just had a 1 1/2'' nail pulled out from in between the tread, its in the right-hand tread groove. It was buried all the way and when I pulled it out, all the air was gone in about 5 minutes. Should I replace the tire, or would an internal patch work? I would rather not risk any form of blowout, but I dont want to (but will if necessary) spend another $300 for a brand new one. I do enjoy going over 100mph, and would rather the tire not fail.
just my opinion.....
you have answered it
if you can afford it replace it
i would'ent take the risk !
cheers
Rick
p.s. which track do you 100 mph on........:rofl_200:

I picked up a nail in my brand new rear Shinko within days of installing it. I had it plugged from inside but it was losing air slowly.
Took it to another shop, and they plugged it PROPERLY while I stood there watching. The trick is that the internal patch must be vulcanised with the inside of the tire - that means real liquid rubber glue and heat.
I then rode it 'til worn (with Dyna Beads) and often went past 120mph - no prob.

So yes I would do this again (especially with a $300 tire) but only if I could watch while the patch's being applied.

Back