Great headlight mod, crank the bike without the headlight

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonskif

Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"Ever get stuck with too little juice in the battery to start your bike? Ever find yourself in a parade and want to run without the headlight on? This brilliantly designed control system allows you to crank the bike without the headlight drawing unnecessary power from the starter.[/SIZE][/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1]When you turn the ignition to the ON position, everything will come on except the headlight. When you?re ready to turn on the headlamp, flip the HIGH/LOW beam switch and on it comes. The headlight will then stay on until the ignition is turned off."[/SIZE][/FONT]​

http://www.fasteddysports.com/?page_id=3&product_id=882

Attachments

• headlight mod.JPG
    headlight mod.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 20
All bikes I've ever seen crank without the headlight. Doesn't this seem to have the ability to drive around without the headlight?
at the surface of the description, it would seem to suggest the very thing, doesnt it. but it would also seem to be a perric benefit. at least here in Florida, no headlight is cause to be cited for an illegal motorbike. i'd think that most of the other states would have similar "no headlight" laws. driving unilluminated through cages is asking for trouble in my opinion

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

I think here in Oklahoma, that if the motorcycle originally has a daytime running light, then you have to have it. If its say I 60's harley with a light that isn't on all of the time, then that is acceptable. So older bikes are grandfathered in.

I don't think anybody would really ride around without a headlight on. It says you could use it for parades and stuff. I can count the number if parades I've been in on a motorcycle without any fingers or toes, though. It's not useful for me at all, plus how would I use my high beam, if low beam means off....

It is definitely a product.

In US there maybe no law for headlight always on, but there are states and countries (all in Europe) were there is law that headlight should hard wired allways on. This case for me, ignition on , headlight is on.. not good for battery.

holy crap, i just studied the wiring diagrams. european vmaxes' headlight are indeed always on. wow. so allow me refine my original post by saying that all US models already cut the headlight when starting the bike. what is that "light switch" on the european bikes? i'm curious as to what it looks like. how much is that wiring harness? it would seem that you could splice in a simple relay for only a few euros in a similar fashion to what i did here: More Wakeup Juice With a Fan Cutoff Relay

Probably just as easy to get a US starter housing and swap it out. May take a little more wiring work but the US starter button is a two position contact switch. In the start position there is no power to the headlight and in the run position (with the switch not being pushed) it's got power.

How many guys here remember when bikes in the USA came with an on/off switch for the headlights?

My first two bikes had switches. The third bike, 1977 Suzuki 500 twin, had the switch, but was fitted with a plastic insert inside the switch to prevent the slide from being pushed into the OFF position. The insert was easily removed (if a person knew basic screwdriver operation) to restore the switch to operating status. That was when the USA first began dabbling with legislation to require headlights on bikes 100% of the time.

Funny ALL my bikes in Europe (France and the UK) had three positions for all lights - OFF/Parking/ON and then a separate switch for Hi/Lo beam. Then again the newest bike I ever had there was a '94 Aprilia Pegaso 650.

Only when I moved to the US in 2006 did I see the first bike with no OFF (or Parking) switch at all - only the Hi/Lo beam switch.

How many guys here remember when bikes in the USA came with an on/off switch
Yep, back in the 60's all bikes had a headlight switch. That nostalgia worked it's way to my bike. I have an on/off head light switch on my Vmax. I switch it on after I start it. IF I REMEMBER!!
emo30.gif
LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1028.JPG
    IMG_1028.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
if the VMax already does this I'd sure like to know how to get mine to do it.

If you're talking about a switch for the headlight, that's not an option. If you're talking about no headlight during cranking, that's true.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Most bikes went to a park light function in the ignition switch instead of a handlebar switch. The Max has this ("P" on the ign switch). Euro bikes have a flash to pass switch that just flashes the high beam. My Suzuki Bandit had one. Guess Suzuki didn't want to make different switch clusters for US and Euro bikes.

Back