Handle Bar options

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A new friend of mine who rides a Boss Hoss is looking for something a bit more practical. Today he looked at an 03 VMax... for $2,000.00. Its in nice shape and all stock. The owner said he starts it up every month, but hasn't ridden it for 3 years.
Anyway, can the handlebars be changed to ones a little higher and wider without changing all the control lines? I put drag bars on mine so I had no problem.Thanks Rusty :biglaugh:

how much bigger? sean woudl probably know for sure, there is some slack

$2k for a 2k3? great fucking deal.

I installed the wide VMax bars on my 89. They are 4 inches wider than the ones on my 94. I may put a 1" or so riser extension on the 94. It all depends on how much cable and line slack exists. You should be able to get a pretty good idea what you can fit. Just be sure you take measurements where the front wheel is turned, putting the cables at their tightest point.... Good Luck Rusty... Can always change cables and lines... Check with Kyle on that...

Pro-taper SE series with the Carmicheal Bend are the best bars I've had yet on the Max. I think they are 32" wide.

They are dirt bike bars but so what:rofl_200:

I have a wider "touring" bar that he may like too.

Sean

I use the 30.5 inch Superbike bars.....with no problems, but I do run braided lines and 1 inch drop...but I have a ton of slack.

I like the Superbike bars from Sean. A little wider, but not as straight as drag bars. They come in black too. Lot's of options.
+1 i have some "superbike"s, not from sean so maybe the dimension differ, but based on his chart, i don't think so. anyways i like what i have..sort of. they cause me to lean a little bit too far past where i want to be. what can i do 'bout this? i've tried "twisting" it into different positions, but still not getting there? will a aftermarket riser block help or should i go to the next one up (down being the drag bars). also eventually i want to lower the seat, so i need to take that into consideration, but i really am not too sure how to take it into consideration.

We can sell you a genmar riser. They will bring you back and up (the riser is about 1" and so it's about 3/4" back and 3/4" up due to the angle of the OEM riser that this bolts into).

Sean

Thanks for the help on this everybody.I copy pasted some of your replies for my friend to see. I'm still trying to find out more about this 03 Vmax for $2,000 Bucks.It's supposed to be in good shape but I haven't seen it yet. I'm suspicious.:hmmm:

How many are still using the stockers?

Whenever I get on a max that still has them they feel just plain wierd.

Anyone say sit up and beg???

i run stockers. bad shoulders from rugby. they're comfy for me.

i run stockers.
bad shoulders from rugby. they're comfy for me.

thumbnail.aspx

thumbnail.aspx

I run stockers also.
Tried "drag" bars but no go. Stock bar thatis turned down to clear the tank by an inch. With the Corbin saddle, it works great for me.
Lew

I use superbike bars which i did cut. They are about 29" now. They look good, offer good clearance but a bit high. They would be great with usual street bar clamp/risers but not sure then they will offer enough clearance

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I am running Flanders drag bars (31 1/2" I think) which are turned up a touch to make sure they don't hit the faux tank. I'm 6', 32" inseam, rriding on a Morley Muscle mid cut seat and stock position footpegs, which affords me a slightly forward lean of my upper body.
They work well for me as I have put in 10+ 500 mile days and one 600 mile day.

I do a lot of miles on trips, did 3,000 miles in 10 days in July. After half a day, the stock bars would give me a knot between my shoulder blades. The Genmar riser did the trick. Now I can ride all day with no discomfort at all. Should you decide to go with them, if One2dMax if out of them, PM me, I have some.

I got wider higher bars for $35 on fleaBay, installed them fine, just had to re-route the brake hoses, and in the long run I got slightly longer ones as when the fork was fully extended (often with vboost lol) they were just a little on the short side.

I have a set of black Pro-Taper Carmicheal bend bars. Then suit me very good for highway or in town riding.

Mike

Back