Handlebars

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gleno

Reaction score
I have never been happy with the narrow standard bars fitted to the stock V-max and have planned to evolve the setup for some time.

I feel the shortcomings can be summarized as;

1)They are too narrow to provide a proper bracing geometry between the rider’s arms and the front suspension.
2)They are set too far back from the upper fork yoke for the rider to experience the tactile feedback that allows a rider to ‘feel’ the road.
3)They don’t allow the rider’s weight to be directly transmitted to the front suspension under braking.
4)They force the rider to adopt an upright riding position, which causes the rider to act as a natural windsock at highway speeds.

My favorite riding position is to have the hand grips forward of the standard setup and lower than the standard setup. I also like the bars to be angled down like the down stroke of a bird’s wing. That is a more natural grip for me.

I tried a set of drag bars that I scored as a freebie.

They definitely improved the control, ‘feel’ and geometry issues but they were too low to allow the handlebar controls to clear the faux tank. To obtain safe clearance I had to either twist the bars up (like the upstroke of a birdwing) and sacrifice comfort or put handlebar risers on the crown and get rid the really cool V-max alloy that sets off the instrument cluster. Both solutions are unacceptable.

They were also black and that does not go with the polished alloy on the front of my bike.

While looking around for a set of chrome drag bars I came across these bars by Tommaselli. The mounting combinations are huge because you can adjust the bars at the fork crown and the slope of the hand grips.

The combination allows you to set them up to mimic the stock riding position or simulate clip-on bars.

I set mine up for the forward position I wanted, the height I wanted and the downward slope of the handgrips I wanted.

The difference in rider comfort, road feel and stability at any speed is dramatic. The riding position also allows the rider to easily shift a butt from one side of the seat to the other when cornering. Cornering can now be an active participation sport on my V-max instead of a spectator sport.

…and I think it looks pretty mad.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Tommaselli one.jpg
    Tommaselli one.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 241
  • Tommaselli two.jpg
    Tommaselli two.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 284
  • Tomaselli three.jpg
    Tomaselli three.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 306
  • Tommaselli four.jpg
    Tommaselli four.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 210
  • Tommaselli five.jpg
    Tommaselli five.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Looks like what is called a clubman bar. Not the look for me but definetly different. They are nice looking bars for quality though.

We sell a bar with drag bar pull back but about 1/2 the rise of the stock bar. Solves all the issues for $20.

Sean

I like them! I also like the bars that I have bought from Sean.Well worth the money.I have bought 3 or 4 sets from Sean in 2 styles.Nice to have a spare bar around,never know when you might need one in a hurry.

Looks like what is called a clubman bar. Not the look for me but definetly different. They are nice looking bars for quality though.

We sell a bar with drag bar pull back but about 1/2 the rise of the stock bar. Solves all the issues for $20.

Sean

I am looking for for some drag style bars that are a little wider (30" -31" wide range), and are black (or I can have powder coated). Sean, your bars sound like what I would want. Do you have a picture or two that I could look at?
Thanks!

I am looking for for some drag style bars that are a little wider (30" -31" wide range), and are black (or I can have powder coated). Sean, your bars sound like what I would want. Do you have a picture or two that I could look at?
Thanks!

Flanders has them if Sean doesn't. I have their black drag bars on mine. They are nice and wide.:thumbs up:

I have never been happy with the narrow standard bars fitted to the stock V-max and have planned to evolve the setup for some time.

I feel the shortcomings can be summarized as;

1)They are too narrow to provide a proper bracing geometry between the rider?s arms and the front suspension.
2)They are set too far back from the upper fork yoke for the rider to experience the tactile feedback that allows a rider to ?feel? the road.
3)They don?t allow the rider?s weight to be directly transmitted to the front suspension under braking.
4)They force the rider to adopt an upright riding position, which causes the rider to act as a natural windsock at highway speeds.

My favorite riding position is to have the hand grips forward of the standard setup and lower than the standard setup. I also like the bars to be angled down like the down stroke of a bird?s wing. That is a more natural grip for me.

I tried a set of drag bars that I scored as a freebie.

They definitely improved the control, ?feel? and geometry issues but they were too low to allow the handlebar controls to clear the faux tank. To obtain safe clearance I had to either twist the bars up (like the upstroke of a birdwing) and sacrifice comfort or put handlebar risers on the crown and get rid the really cool V-max alloy that sets off the instrument cluster. Both solutions are unacceptable.

They were also black and that does not go with the polished alloy on the front of my bike.

While looking around for a set of chrome drag bars I came across these bars by Tommaselli. The mounting combinations are huge because you can adjust the bars at the fork crown and the slope of the hand grips.

The combination allows you to set them up to mimic the stock riding position or simulate clip-on bars.

I set mine up for the forward position I wanted, the height I wanted and the downward slope of the handgrips I wanted.

The difference in rider comfort, road feel and stability at any speed is dramatic. The riding position also allows the rider to easily shift a butt from one side of the seat to the other when cornering. Cornering can now be an active participation sport on my V-max instead of a spectator sport.

?and I think it looks pretty mad.

What do you think?

I'd like to see a pic of you riding down the road with these bars on to see the riding position.

I had a set of bar which looked allot like them but the were not adjustable on my old RZ. I really liked them over stock. I would like to try those bars out for a few days and see how they feel on a Max because they bikes are so different.

You said you liked them eh ? I'd like them even better if the center piece was perfectly straight. Gleno, Your bike is in really nice (wicked) shape. You take good care of it of the beast, we can see that.

Man what I would give to live without fuk'in snow !

Does anyone have a suggestion about what to change the handlebars to? I'm looking at black drag bars - width 28 -1/8", pullback 3 -3/4", rise 0", center 5 -1/2". My back bothers me to sit totally upright and the stock bars are too narrow and tall for me. Thanks.:cheers:

Does anyone have a suggestion about what to change the handlebars to? I'm looking at black drag bars - width 28 -1/8", pullback 3 -3/4", rise 0", center 5 -1/2". My back bothers me to sit totally upright and the stock bars are too narrow and tall for me. Thanks.:cheers:

Hey xirtam I merged your thread with a current one. Should help ya!

Anyone ever had trouble with the head bearing or developed a wobble after changing thier bars? I never wobbled before, but now I do and the only thing I did was change the bars. I did the head bearing tightness check suggested by sean in a previous thread and it is definetely loose, so I will tighten, but any other ideas?:ummm:

Anyone ever had trouble with the head bearing or developed a wobble after changing thier bars? I never wobbled before, but now I do and the only thing I did was change the bars. I did the head bearing tightness check suggested by sean in a previous thread and it is definetely loose, so I will tighten, but any other ideas?:ummm:

By putting straight bars on, your body is now leaned forward more and therefore more weight on the front end of the bike - this will increase the wheel wobble with the loose bearings. Should also check tire pressure.

Mike

By putting straight bars on, your body is now leaned forward more and therefore more weight on the front end of the bike - this will increase the wheel wobble with the loose bearings. Should also check tire pressure.

Mike

It will also exaggerate any looseness that is caused by wear in the bearing.

Tightening the bearing may not fix that problem.

I'd like to see a pic of you riding down the road with these bars on to see the riding position.

Here you go. Riding position pics as requested. Not as extreme as you might think but it allows a long streak like me to be comfortable on the little Max.:thumbs up:

Attachments

• pos1.jpg
    pos1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 225
  • pos2.jpg
    pos2.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 165
  • pos3.jpg
    pos3.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 202
  • pos4.jpg
    pos4.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 169
Here you go. Riding position pics as requested. Not as extreme as you might think but it allows a long streak like me to be comfortable on the little Max.:thumbs up:

What are you? Like 7' tall? :surprise:

Looks like a deviation to the clubman bars.

Bar A in the diagram. I sell mostly the superbike bars. Bar F. I can get about 1/2 the bars in black painted too.

Sean Morley

Attachments

• Handlebars.JPG
    Handlebars.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 173
I am running drag bars on mine. What a huge possitive difference it made in the feel of control and cosmetic appearance. The only problem is I wish I could have my drag bars a lil higher about 1 in and 1 wider on each end. Any solutions to a 1 in riser?

Latest posts

Back