Has anyone ever eliminated the rear fender?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saml01

Reaction score
I have a crazy idea to chop the rear fender and reuse the fender reinforcement as an extension to the inner plastic fender.

IMHO the rear fender looks like it should have never extended beyond the passenger seat grab. I understand the reason for extending that far but god does it make the bike look unnecessarily long. Has anyone ever transplanted the tail light in place of the reflector on the seat grab and just deleted the whole fender?

A few vendors have done this, here are a couple different styles at Exactrep:
http://www.exactrep.com/acatalog/info_171A.html
http://www.exactrep.com/acatalog/info_4b.html

Here is a comparison of 4 types at BRM:
Size comparison (left to right):
1. Original Tailend
2. Tailend Short
3. Tailend Shorty
4. Tailend Street

index.htm

Attachments

• rear fender comparo.jpg
    rear fender comparo.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 74
That is the set up on my bike. I don't have a picture to show you but there might be one in the gallery. I'll see if I can find it. You do like rain all up your spine don't you?

That is the set up on my bike. I don't have a picture to show you but there might be one in the gallery. I'll see if I can find it. You do like rain all up your spine don't you?

That's the deal, right there! :punk:

I have an Exactrep 'shorty' fender, I think it looks great but puddles, damp dirt road, etc., all that crap comes right up my back and some even lands on the front fender. :bang head:

Really? Never thought it would make its way all the way around the shorter fender.

Aside from that, im a fair weather only rider. Pussy I know. But riding in NY is bad enough, but riding in the rain is suicide around here.

A few vendors have done this, here are a couple different styles at Exactrep:
http://www.exactrep.com/acatalog/info_171A.html
http://www.exactrep.com/acatalog/info_4b.html

Here is a comparison of 4 types at BRM:
Size comparison (left to right):
1. Original Tailend
2. Tailend Short
3. Tailend Shorty
4. Tailend Street

index.htm

Stuff looks amazing. It really gives the bike a better look.

But this stuff is too rich for my blood. :(

I think we have pics of cut down stock fender on our Muscle Facebook page. I don't like it myself but it's all personal preference.

Sean

Really? Never thought it would make its way all the way around the shorter fender.

Aside from that, im a fair weather only rider. Pussy I know. But riding in NY is bad enough, but riding in the rain is suicide around here.

Maybe it wouldn't get by the shortie if the license plate was left in place but I moved it down to an axle mount.

I may try that fender again, with the plate mounted under the tail. :hmmm:

The fender is as long as it is for a practical reason....to keep water down. My old GS had a chopped (literally) fender, God-knows-why, and in even damp road conditions it would literally mist the whole bike constantly. We'd be out riding, everyone else would be bone dry and I'd look like I just came through a storm.

Trust me, you'll kick yourself the first time you get in the rain. Riding in the rain sucks, but without a fender it's much worse.

I neglected to mention that I was running a custom aluminum "Crud Catcher" which is a help but not as good as a fender. Oh, and I am going back to a full fender but with no metal fender support. I won't have passenger pegs either. My other bike is getting the Carbon fiber tail with tail lights built in. My reflector between the grabrail was a ten bulb LED when I bought it and it is fine by itself but I also run the axle mounted license plate holder with LED running/brake function.
Even a fair weather rider will come across some water. If your going to a party or out to eat, you'll have the skunk stripe. And I didn't run a front fender either! That lasted a few seasons but has changed. I like paint !

I agree with you Pat and RaWarrior, the practical reasons outweigh the cool points.

I agree. It just looks like someone removed the fender and looks like hell. I like the long look which makes it more drag bike appearing.

Latest posts

Back