Has anyone used both 412 / 440's? Progressive suspension

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
he gets first dibs if they don't sell on ebay.

Here are the pictures of my "Meanstreak" shocks mounted. Easy peasy to install and they really make a difference. It has resolved most of the wallowing in high speed corners, just have to get the spring rate set properly and intiminators installed in the forks.

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 21
those blacked out ones look gorgeous. i'm still holding onto my 12.5 blacked out ones for now.

i'm a bit surprised progressive even makes different shocks with the only difference a 3mm compressed length.

Here are the pictures of my "Meanstreak" shocks mounted. Easy peasy to install and they really make a difference. It has resolved most of the wallowing in high speed corners, just have to get the spring rate set properly and intiminators installed in the forks.

Damn Brian, the 440's in black look great - wish I had bought them black at the time instead of chrome/aluminuim ones - would have suited my bike better. But the "deal" was for the chrome/aluminum ones at the time.

Mike

jeeze man i dunno. i looked up the top three shippers and rough estimate is:

Fedex: $230
UPS: $220
USPS: $80 - $100

Since i said i'd cover shipping them for a member, and the most it'd cost is like $25 contintental (from here to oregon) i'd cover $25 of it and you could cover the rest. USPS looks like it'd be around $55 -$75 but i can't quote that exact unless i brought it down. i'd probably also need a postal code for an exact price.

i used 8700 for the fedex/ups ones.

You need to look at the flat rate international boxs. Might be able to get it down from there.

Sean

Yeah 12" might be too tight, I agree.
Shipping in Philippines really sucks. Take forever and cost is killing :bang head:

no idea man. haven't used 'em yet. maybe redbone can chime in, but i don't think hes 170 lbs...

Might be able to angle each one separately?? Don't know - just shootin in the dark. the 13" is center to center so actual length is even longer. BUT, you may be able to compress the shocks and hold it in that position with some good sturdy wire. Getting it compressed might be the trick though!

Sean

Are the HD version not too stiff ? I weight 170 pounds.
I am a little more than 100 lbs more than you Diablotin.I believe I heard/ read somewhere recommend the HD shock for riders weighing over 225 lbs.

Here is their take on the reason you would choose a HD shock Vs std shock: " Heavy Duty Applications are recommended for bikes that are operated at or near the manufacturer�s maximum load rating over 50% of the time."
That being said, it seems to be just right for my riding style/ weight. I have the spring preload set with 2 lines showing. I think I'll need just a little stiffer preload (1-2 lines) to get it just right. I'm not sure how many lines of adjustment are there for the spring, but I have not bottomed out once with current settings.
I hope this helps!

hmmm all good ideas sean. i would hate for the string to break mid-shipping though. could u imagine a shock shooting out of a box? haha that'd actually be kind of funny

i did some quick math. the boxes are 12 x 12 x 5. tha tmeans the diagnal is almost 17" so that'd be enough probably and then some so i'd might be able to wrap 'em nice and put them in a large box.

that'd bring it down to $55

just did the math on the medium box a well. the 13-5/8 by 11-7/8. that would probably work as well if i didn't include the original box. the thickness (uner 4 inches) may not provide enough padding though. that would be $42 however.

Damn Brian, the 440's in black look great - wish I had bought them black at the time instead of chrome/aluminuim ones - would have suited my bike better. But the "deal" was for the chrome/aluminum ones at the time.

Mike

I would have preferred a blacked out set but for the price I got these, I'm not complaining. The bag with the steel sleeves in it said Mean Streak on mine too, but the sleeves are a perfect fit on the VMax.

I had the chrome and aluminium shocks also and wanted the all black. So I made a spring compressor and took them apart and had them PC'd. The look great!! I can take pics of my compressor if you want to make one or your more then welcome to use mine.

I had the chrome and aluminium shocks also and wanted the all black. So I made a spring compressor and took them apart and had them PC'd. The look great!! I can take pics of my compressor if you want to make one or your more then welcome to use mine.

Hey Kevin, would like to see a pic of compressor - I was thinking of getting the aluminum caps pc'ed black, but leaving the spring chrome - another winter project to do!

Mike

I think I will pass even if the deal is really great.
I'm a "fly weight" I think they won't fit for me riding alone.
Too bad :(

Thanks Garett for the proposal, I won't be the only one interested.

Thanks Redbone, I read the same kind of feedback too on other forums.
It confirms it :)

no problem man. don't really have any watchers so it may not sell. i'm a bit surprised but oh well.

Latest posts

Back