Has anyone used both 412 / 440's? Progressive suspension

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ghost, you could always try the 12.5s and if u dont' like 'em sell 'em. even for $20 u'd get progressive springs out of the deal.

Wow! A girl vmaxer!

how do you like the 418's? I have heard they offer more tuning options than the 440's - but I can't confirm or deny as I haven't seen any in person.

Uh, 350-ish I think.

Don't tell my husband....:whistlin:

....that's supposed to be next summer's trip out to the Great Lakes....
Let me know if your going to be in the U.P. (east end Lake Superior) and I'll ride out to meet ya. For that matter, anywhere in northern Michigan and I'd ride out to meet ya'll.

I've blown the seal out of some fairly new 412's on some rollercoaster hills when they bottomed out HARD. I didn't have the pre-load dialed in for my wife who was riding with me that day. But still. I don't think they should have blown a seal in any case.

I'm running a set of Works shocks now and like 'em.

Let me know if your going to be in the U.P. (east end Lake Superior) and I'll ride out to meet ya. For that matter, anywhere in northern Michigan and I'd ride out to meet ya'll.

It's still way up in the air, I of course want to wander as much as I have time for it. I'm attending the national Concourrs Owners Group rally in southern Wisconsin. I think it's June this year.
Would like to meet you for sure!

Wow! A girl vmaxer!

how do you like the 418's? I have heard they offer more tuning options than the 440's - but I can't confirm or deny as I haven't seen any in person.

Dunno about the 440's, only have the 418's on the Vmax and the 412's on the Honda. The 440's only have the rebound and the preload adjust. Both the 418 and the 412 are light-years from a worn-out cut-rate stock exhaust, though.

Garrett and I just picked up some Progressive 440's (13") for $128 shipped from Dennis Kirk, and until Oct 31 the are offering free fork springs with any purchuse of 440's (from anywhere). See Garrett's post in this thread for fork deal or check out progressive's website for more details. It's a smokin' hot deal for sure.

If anyone needs Progressive fork springs on here (either regular or lowered) let me know which type you need and that's what I'll order. 1st PM gets first shot.

I just received mine and have bolted them on. I won't be able to try them out till next season though. :damn angry:

Attachments

• progressiveshock1.jpg
    progressiveshock1.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 23
  • progressiveshock2.jpg
    progressiveshock2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 27
Hey buster good to know they bolt right on

got BOTH my sets of 440's in. the blacked out ones are absolutely gorgeous. i'll be holding onto those for a while.

mine came with 'kawa mean streak' fitments. so i'm wondering if these shocks are for a mean streak.

the blacked outs are 12.5's and aren't exact match to the vmax specs as the 13's that i have - look just like yours.

once i get my fork springs in i'm going to put the chrome/black 13" 440s and one set of springs on the 'bay.

Awesome! I haven't had a chance to bolt mine on yet due to work, I hope to have time tomorrow to bolt them on.
Thanks for posting Buster!

Hey buster good to know they bolt right on

got BOTH my sets of 440's in. the blacked out ones are absolutely gorgeous. i'll be holding onto those for a while.

mine came with 'kawa mean streak' fitments. so i'm wondering if these shocks are for a mean streak.

the blacked outs are 12.5's and aren't exact match to the vmax specs as the 13's that i have - look just like yours.

once i get my fork springs in i'm going to put the chrome/black 13" 440s and one set of springs on the 'bay.

I would have preferred a blacked out set but for the price I got these, I'm not complaining. The bag with the steel sleeves in it said Mean Streak on mine too, but the sleeves are a perfect fit on the VMax.

I've put a few hundred miles on the Progressive 418's...I'm relatively impressed. These ARE better than the 412's, especially for my lighter weight. I had to mess around with the settings a bit on this last long ride, but I was amazed at the difference. The back end used to come up from deep potholes and take the wheel off the ground. Now it's really smooth without being sloppy at all. The wheel stays on the pavement and keeps the tire planted, even in turns.

I still need to put in a tad longer spacers in the front forks to make it stop bouncing around up front, but the back of the bike doesn't hurt me any more when I hit bumps or holes.

I'm sure the 412's would have done very well especially if I was as big as the normal size dudes on these bikes. But fine-tuning the 418's has resulted in a very nice ride.

I set the preload as light as it will go, with no passenger and no luggage. I started with the damping on "1" and that was a great improvement, but worked it all the way to "4" before it began to feel "washy." Backed it to level 3 and I'm thrilled with it. I no longer have to stand on the pegs when I go over train tracks!

Edited to add:
These 418's are 1/2 inch shorter than stock, that's what was available for the good price. I can't get the bike up on the CS in dirt or grass, but I can muscle it up there on concrete. You fellows will likely not have any problem getting the bike on the CS with the slightly shorter shocks.

I would have preferred a blacked out set but for the price I got these, I'm not complaining. The bag with the steel sleeves in it said Mean Streak on mine too, but the sleeves are a perfect fit on the VMax.
My 440's fit perfectly too. Went for a 80 - 90 mile ride yesterday and noticed a much better ride over abrupt bump; no lower back kicking. I'm going to have to do more testing to get it fine tuned but that will have to wait until spring thaw. I'm thinking that adding the Ricor Intiminators might balance the ride out better b/c the front definitely feels harsher now.

I understood 440's are better than 412's. But comparing 418's, 430's and 440's ?
All of those might better than the stocks.
Btw where did you find the 440's for less than $200 ? :)

they're all gone, dennis kirk had them. there was only like a dozen. i picked up three. gonna sell 2 of the 440's and 1 of the free springs.

You can pm me your price just in case.
I already have the progressive spring on front, so I could just be interested by the 440's.
Else I will wait until they propose another good offer again.
I'm not in a rush anyway :)

The only issue is i'm in Philippines, I'm scared about the shipping fees :)

You can pm me your price just in case.
I already have the progressive spring on front, so I could just be interested by the 440's.
Else I will wait until they propose another good offer again.
I'm not in a rush anyway :)

The only issue is i'm in Philippines, I'm scared about the shipping fees :)

to be honest man, i bought extras to make a bit of a profit, and if they don't sell, ghost has first dibs so i'll let ya know.

I appreciate you to be honest. I think it's fair.
No worry, I'm still free to accept or not the deal if ever. So it's fine.
Just update me if ever you have a spare set, then we talk :)

Latest posts

Back