Help with Tire Ratings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewster

Reaction score
Hi All,

Finally getting new rubber for my 04' stock rear wheel. Looking at the Metzeler's but confused by the ratings. The OEM's have a V rating. When I look at the big selling sites, I see the Metzeler 880 170/80/15 have an H or HB rating? Can I use these? Not sure what the HB rating even means.

I understand the V is for speeds beyond 140 MPH, but I don't go that fast... Understand that H is for 130 MPH and that would seem to be fitting... just curious of what I'm really giving up by going to that rating???

Thanks for all the help!

Mike

Hi All,

Finally getting new rubber for my 04' stock rear wheel. Looking at the Metzeler's but confused by the ratings. The OEM's have a V rating. When I look at the big selling sites, I see the Metzeler 880 170/80/15 have an H or HB rating? Can I use these? Not sure what the HB rating even means.

I understand the V is for speeds beyond 140 MPH, but I don't go that fast... Understand that H is for 130 MPH and that would seem to be fitting... just curious of what I'm really giving up by going to that rating???

Thanks for all the help!

Mike

They test tires for extended periods of time and rate them. Unless you will be riding at over 130MPH for over 2 hrs at a time you will be fine. Go for it.

Correct. The tire speed rating is measured to survive at those speeds for one hour. I can tell you I personally ran a Metzler Me880 on the dyno over 200mph a few times. I don't think I'd suggest doing it though as the tire really grew in circumference at that speed (done with one of my overdrives).

The "B" is simply a bias identifier. All available motorcycle 15" size tires will be bias.

Here's more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

I've held my ME880's at 140-145 for minutes at a time, and I'm still here.

Not saying that rear tire won't wear down faster than pizza at a weight watchers at those speeds, but it's not going to explode or anything.

Back