Hope you guys are right (about Shinko)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
Just ordered a Shinko rear tire (170/80V-15) from Motorcycle Superstore. Read lots of testimonials for various brands here and elsewhere.

In the end, I just couldn't argue with the price. $75 shipped.

Got Shinkos on all 3 of my bikes, Roadstar, VMax, and Burgman 400 scooter. Totally pleased, highest recommendations, and will definitely buy again! Best bargain out there, in my opinion.

I'm very happy with mine and you just can't beat the price. I like them better than the metlzer's that they replaced. They really grab the road.

I tried Shinkos, front and rear. They gripped great, they were cheap, they were worn out at 4,000 miles. They also picked up all kinds of grit, sand, and rocks on the road and spit them at following traffic. My GF hated them because she was getting pelted behind me. I am going to bite the bullet and buy Metzlers 880's to get better mileage out of them this time.

I tried Shinkos, front and rear. They gripped great, they were cheap, they were worn out at 4,000 miles. They also picked up all kinds of grit, sand, and rocks on the road and spit them at following traffic. My GF hated them because she was getting pelted behind me. I am going to bite the bullet and buy Metzlers 880's to get better mileage out of them this time.

YOU GET 4000 MILES OUT OF A TIRE? :worthy::worthy:

Hatter, no wonder you were riding on shreds in Eureka. I'm lucky to make 2500 miles each rear tire.

i've made it 7k on the rear shinko, 10k on the front. i'm at 3k now on the rear shinko still looks good.

i've made it 7k on the rear shinko, 10k on the front. i'm at 3k now on the rear shinko still looks good.

You DO realize if you twist the right side grip, it's also the throttle? And the lever out there past that grip is a brake?

It sounds as if you need to spend more time twisting that grip and less time pulling on that lever. :biglaugh:

I couldn't get that many miles out of a rear tire on my Venture while travelling totally highway miles. Maybe I need to slow down a bit? :confused2:

Or maybe these Shinko tires are made of some space-age polymer that goes way farther than rubber. :ummm:

i don't do burnouts but there is no lack of heavy right handedness... how much 'tread' is left when you replace? I replaced mine @ 7k, maybe 6500 and i was just about to see the belt probably. the wear lines were pretty much gone.

I very recently installed a Shinko Drag Radial "Hook Up" on my Tourmaster. Yeah, just what I needed was more traction. LOL

rick rash

I'm on my 4th or 5th rear and 2nd or 3rd front sets of Shinko's. Like Garrett, I don't do burnouts but run the piss out of the bike on a regular basis and still get 8K miles on a back tire. That being said, the rear one is always completely slick when I finally pull it off the wheel for a swap.

--

hmmm i have a cheap chinese tire on mine right now. been on the bike since i got it but ive put 7k miles on it and still have another couple k left in it. i really dont want to have to replace a tire every 4000 miles. are these tires really that soft that they normally wear out that fast? i dont do burnouts (well not as far as my wife is concerned anyway lol)

+1 on my second shinko rear. I didnt so much like the front so I went to a perreli. I dont plan on running anything different than a shinko rear they look and work awsome.

Hi I am new to the board. I am looking to upgrade my rear tire on my 93 to a Shinko 170/80V-15. Will this tire fit with no modification to my swingarm, etc? I see that Desert Max purchased one. Any input you could give me on this tire would be great. Also is this the largest tire I can install with no mods?

Thanks guys and have a good weekend,
Rich
Greenville, SC

Hi I am new to the board. I am looking to upgrade my rear tire on my 93 to a Shinko 170/80V-15. Will this tire fit with no modification to my swingarm, etc? I see that Desert Max purchased one. Any input you could give me on this tire would be great. Also is this the largest tire I can install with no mods?

Thanks guys and have a good weekend,
Rich
Greenville, SC
Welcome to the best damn Vmax site there is! I'm sure you'll find a plethora of service and maintenance tips to help with any questions.
You should have no clearance problems with the Shinko 170, I and many others here run the it without issues. The Metzler 880 170 works without clearance issues as well.
The differences between the Shinko and Metzler are as follows:
Cost: S = $75 M = $130
Speed rating: S = "V" rated M = "H" rated
Wear: S = 4k to 7k miles M = 8k to 10k+ miles
Traction: S = great traction(softer/ stickiest) M = good traction (harder/ long wearing)

As Brian said, 170 is the max that will fit with no mod whatsoever. Shinko is the best cheap tire, Metzeler is the best not so cheap tire.

I've running Shinko T230 front 110/90-18 and rear 170/80-15 and loved them all the way.

Latest posts

Back