How do you secure your bike with front end raised?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptnov

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought myself ricor intiminators, progressive springs, new seals and head bearing. I assume that you'll need to remove the forks to get these stuff in there, so how do you guys secure the bike so that the front end is raised? I've read the forums about how to remove front forks, but cant figure out how to secure the bike.

I'm living in apartment btw, so I wont have any ceiling to tie the bike to and will be doing the job on a parking lot.

if you have engine crash bars you can rest the bike on jacknstands on them. otherwise a floor jack and make up some cribbing under the motor....I wouldnt lift by the exhaust as it might dent them.

Venter stand and a floor jack under the front part of the oil pan. Probably not the best for an extended period of time, but it works for a while. Or put it on the center stand and hire someone to sit on the back seat.

Venter stand and a floor jack under the front part of the oil pan. Probably not the best for an extended period of time, but it works for a while. Or put it on the center stand and hire someone to sit on the back seat.

Haha! thought about asking a friend to hold it down, but then this is my first time doing something like this so he would probably be stuck there for half a day lol.

When I've had the forks off my '85, all I did was park it on it's OEM centerstand, then put a floor jack with a small piece of 2x4 under the front of the oil pan and lift. With the front wheel off, you don't need a whole lot more ground clearance to get the forks dropped out.

Yes. Not the scissor ones, though. Use a real one and maybe a block of wood if you want to be nice.

I put it in the center stand, pick up on the front wheel till the rear wheel hits the floor and slide jack stands under my coo frame sliders. Works great.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ok great! gotta buy me one of those jack stands then. Anybody know if its the same process when changing the rear shocks? Does it need to be raised to change to shorter shocks?

If you don't have a center stand, you just need to unload the rear suspension to take the Shocks off. Then be really careful adjusting the height to install the new parts.

I use an engine hoist strapped to the triples or you could strap it on both sides of the frame like with the tank cover and side scoops removed. If you have access to a come-along (or however you spell that) you could attach it to the ceiling. Years ago we use to attach it to the truss (beefed up a little) in the garage and pull engines. Just a couple of ideas for ya.

Back