How long have you been riding....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I didn't know dirt bikes counted for the record, so I guess I'm not completely green, been riding dirt bikes for about 10 years before I got my first street bike.

I started riding in 1978, when I was 9 years old. My first bike was a 1970 Honda Mini Trail on my Granpa's farm, and my other Grandpa had a 1969 Honda CB100 which I rode around the dirt roads out where he lived.

My first streetbike was a 1973 Honda CB350F, which I got my license on in 1985. Odd how my Dad wouldn't let me have anything bigger, let alone the V-max:bang head:

Smart man, my Dad. With 16 tickets* inside of 3 years on a 19 Hp bike, I probably wouldn't have survived the V-max at 16:rofl_200:

* I had 4 tickets with the Austin PD, 4 with Travis County, 4 with Hays County, and 4 with the State Highway Patrol. Lack of computers in those days saved my A$$! But I had a bad habit of not paying for tickets, and sooner or later they WILL get you... even at work! Ask me how I know.:Wink2:

I've reformed in the eyes of the law tho, nowadays I have no more than 1 ticket every 18 months.. traffic school keeps me officially at zero tickets.

First bike was a 1970's Hodaka 90 motocross - I was 12 years old. Gotta love the chrome fenders and tank.

First street bike was a 1982 V45 Honda Sabre at the age of 17.

Been riding almost 30 years now.

Mike

Attachments

• hodaka-90-08.jpg
    hodaka-90-08.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 5
I got my first motorcycle endorsement and street bike in 1963. I had been racing bikes since 1959 (race bike Norton Manx, street bike- Matchless 500 single). I have had a LOT of big singles-including most of my off road bikes. Of the "big name" bikes I have had about everything but a Harley. Well my Kawasakis weren't really "bikes" but 3 cylinder engines in a Norton (drag bike) frame.

My first V-max was 1986 which I bought new in the spring of that year. (I sold my 1250 cc Suzuki "street racer" to get it)

I stopped riding in 1995 after breaking a lot of bones (including 3 places in my back) and having a number of pins and screws put into my body. I just got to riding this year.

I got my first blowed up rupp mini bike in 1973 i was 9 years old and bought it for $10 with my lawn mowing money. An old man named buzzy that lived on our land had a pile of parts and he helped me get it going. My dad bought me a non running wildcat fatcat mini bike when i was 10 years old and he painted it chrysler engine blue. I wanted a bike with gears so bad but about a few weeks before i got the wildcat at a family get togather i told a friends dad that i new how to shift and took a yamaha 60 for a ride i will never foget. Before people showed up my dad said no riding i dont want anyone's car to get scratched. Well i rounded the front yard in i dont know what gear and had to go pass my grandma's brand new van and by the time i cuold think all that through (new van pissed dad) I dident turn in time and hit a 5" fence post and went over the handle bar's face first into the fence. I had a 3" square thick scab on my face and my mom maid me go to school. The bike was totaled and my dad and my freinds dad almost got into a fist fight. Strange enough with in 1 year i had a kick ass suzuki TS 50 and its been one bike or quad or side by side or boat after another. I have a great wife that understand how much i live to be on the edge and its great knowing i have great friends like you guys to do it with.

since i was 19. so 13 years. the poor bike (victim) was an 97 zuk savage ls 650 single cyl. im 6'3'' and 250 lbs. i looked like i was riding a pocket bike. but i rode that bitch for 7 years and put on a healthy 20000 kms. not bad for having a max speed of 80 mph. sold it so i could go to trade school. fast forward 3 years. a wikid deal on an 07 max with 800 miles turned up. i couldnt turn it down. now the max has near 20000 kms. i GUARANTEE these last 20 k have been epicly more exciting than the first 20 k.

NEVER stop riding...
peace,
evan...

April 1967. Started out on a Honda S-65, and worked my way up to the Max and the Roadstar. Never missed a season, over 45 years I was without a bike Sept 72 - Feb 73, when I stupidly sold a CB160 to keep a GF happy. Bought an RD350 a few months later to make a new GF really happy!

God, I wish I was 23 again - Hair down to my shoulders, a livin' doll for a sweetie, and a new RD to act out on.......

Now, I'm "slightly overweight", bald, and ready to retire. however, I have a livin' doll for a wife!!

I had a RD350! Mine was Yellow and Black with chambers and short bars.Lots of mods on that bike- all to make it faster or stop better. Some of the most fun I had with my cloths on <G>

Since I was 16, a DT250 was the first, and learned to ride it on the sandy roads of the eastern U.P.. A YZ 250 was the next bike, a bike that I rode every weekend either at the Mt Morris mounds, a buddy;s homemade track or if i was lucky we'd shoot up to West Branch and fly down the fire roads.
I bought my first street only bike, one of the tariff beaters, a Honda Sabre. It was a ok bike, not real quick or fast but I rode the wheels off that thing trying to keep up with my buddy's FJ100. I took a few years off while I lived in the south but Redbone got me back into the wind again 6 years ago. I also own a '03 FZ1 that I will get back on the road next summer.

45 yrs. riding , first mini-bike was a 3hp Sears that had almost no brakes, First Street Bike at 14 Honda CL450 with upswept pipes and there has been 23 bikes over the yrs. Soon to be #24 if everything goes right!

6 years in high school and college then a 19 year break until this spring. Started with a kz400, then a 600 ninja in the really years, recently 1987 Honda super magna followed shortly after that with a 2000 vmax. If I can get the magna sold next year I plan to get a venture for the long rides. Will always have a vmax though, they are awesome.

1958. I was 14.

Bike was a 1948 Harley Hummer 125cc 2-stroke ...

+1

Been riding since 1957 (is that 55 years?!) when I was 10 years old riding my big brother's Harley 125 cc 2-stroke. He bought it used for $65.

Then when I was 11 years old I got a little careless about where I rode it and a cop saw me and I got a ticket on it for being too young. My mother went to court and the judge asked her, "Aren't you worried about your 11 year old son riding around on a motorcycle?" Mom thought about his question then looked right at him and said, "No." She loved telling that story. :)

Here's a restored 1952 model Harley 125 cc 2-stroke:

dsc02049-1024x768.jpg

I started stealing my sister's 50cc moped (Peugeot 103) at 12, that was 1978.

Had to wait till 1982 to get my first bike - Ancillotti 80cc enduro, but now counting the mopeds it's been 34 years :)

Rode a Cushman eagle in high school, late fifties ( yes, I'm that old). In '64 I bought my first street bike, a 50cc Honda C110. From there I progressed through a Trail 90, CB160, CL72, CB77 Super Hawk which I rode while in the Navy from San Francisco to Glynco, GA to Air Traffic Control school. From there I intended to ride it to San Diego, made it as far as 10 miles outside Phoenix and broke the cam chain. Left it there and took Greyhound the rest of the way. Brought a CB350 home from Japan, wore it out and got a BSA 650 Spitfire Hornet. When that grenaded in a hillclimb event, I got another CB350. By that time my wife and I had started having kids, so we gave up riding for about 20 years while raising 3 daughters. In 1996 the youngest, who was now in high school, was looking through an old photo album, and said "You guys should get motorcycles again, I'll ride with you". So I bought the wife a 250 Vulcan (I didn't even know there was such a thing as a 250 v-twin) and a '94 Magna for myself, from there I went to another Magna and my current VMax. Wife went to an EN500, and then to a GoldWing trike. As of now, we still ride 1 Magna, 1 VMax, and the trike. Just returned a few weeks ago from a 12-day ride from California to Pikes Peak and back. Looking forward to doing the Cascades next summer. :eusa_dance:

Well after reading some of these, I think some of you will like this pic.

Attachments

• 1966 BSA.jpg
    1966 BSA.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 19
Age 5/6 started riding a Honda mini-trail 50 at my grandparents. The following year my dad bought the bigger 70cc street legal model and Ive been hooked ever since. Way to many dirt/street bikes over the next 40 years. My first real street-bike was a mid 70's Yamaha 650 twin back in high-school. Slowed down quite a bit the 8 years I was in the army, but always bought/sold them when I spent time in a permanent posting. As well as riding when I came home for leave and such.

Too dang many to try and remember as I used to "flip" cars and bikes or part them out regularly to make some extra cash.

Latest posts

Back