How many 85's r out there??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthair88

Reaction score
85 owner here, little done except piped, jetted @ filtered, Fantastic fckin shape, LOW miles, glossy original paint, never layed dwn, ect...Just how many do u think r out there still??? The math I have is about 100+ k maxes were made in the last 23 or 24 yrs. I'm carefully planning what to do to it with out altering basic 85 max looks, & keeping it looking like a 85 max, 2nd gear is rock solid, & on the rare occasion that I lose a str8t line race, I lmao while pointing out to Mr. croth rocket ( whatever he/she is on ) that their bike is 20+ yrs newer & only beat me by a RCH...lol.. :rofl_200:
My god it was so far ahead of it's time!! ( stock ) Long live that beloved brute we call a max, none like it befor, few like it since.

Drive fast & take chances...

Shorthair...................

on the rare occasion that I lose a str8t line race, I lmao while pointing out to Mr. croth rocket ( whatever he/she is on ) that their bike is 20+ yrs newer & only beat me by a RCH...lol.. :rofl_200:

Shorthair...................

While the RCH is generally recognized as a fine measurement it's my opinion that if you lose by more than a SRCH (that's a split one) you need more horsepower!! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

My 85' Max is approx. bike #4000 per the vin. number is also a pretty sweet bike for 23 year old. I had to restore her consumables 5k worth (ouch), but she's very reliable now and almost new in every way.:eusa_dance:

I was sold on this bike after finding out it had only 26K miles on the original odometer and garage kept her hole life and not a bit of real rust. Got it from a neighbor for $1,500.00 who was the 2nd. owner for about 14 year of its life. He was about to part her out because he didn't have the patience to restore her himself. So I thought his loss is my gain.:punk:

I agree this bike deserves it and should be kept as original as possible, when possible, which brings me to a story about the low mileage shown on the OEM odometer.

Magnetic tank bags are real nice especially on the Max's metal airbox cover, but they then get in the way of viewing the control console. What to do, what to do. Oh, hey, how about a new Koso RX-2N Digital speedo/Tachometer all in one unit w/ 2 digital temps so I don't have to worry about the dangers of trying to look around a tank bag any more.

New Koso RX-2n Digital Speedo/Tach unit in hand, remove the OEM speedometer, I take it apart to look inside, just curious mind you and what the FU&%!#K am I looking at inside the housing, someone had hacked into the odometer numbers and done a roll back! So much for my low mileage Vmax LOL - go figure. I guess I should have looked inside the speedometer case before I bought her .:bang head:

Sorry about the low mileage rant... Back on subject...

So during this restoration I have change only two things so far. The first as listed above is a Koso RX-2n Digital Speedo / Tachometer w/ dual temp sensors, dual trip odometers, and way to much more to list here so I'll insert a link to Koso North America: http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/flashpage_us.php

All I can say about the Koso RX-2n is wow what a sweet digital speedo / tachometer unit for $399.00. It comes with an adjustable-tilting bracket and it mounts right where the OEM speedometer bracket had bolted on. It also comes with a powered magnetic speedo kit for the front wheel which is used in lieu of the OEM speedo transmission on the front axle. I removed the OEM speedo cable just capped that off with a large rubber cap. The instructions are very well done, but I warn you the instructions on their website might not be what you get in the box.

The only thing Koso missed here is a gear indicator and volt meter. Oh well, so much for price points driving available features.:confused2:

RX-2n Digital Speedo / Tachometer Unit Info:
Koso_RX2n_FrontView.jpg Koso RX2n_Front with descriptions.jpg Koso RX2n Features.jpg

The second major thing changed was the Halogen Headlight. I just installed a HID Bi-Xenon unit which I can't say enough about too. The best $250.00 ever spent on the Max.:clapping:

Xetronics has an H4 motorcycle conversion kit which used the existing headlight housing, so all you do is change out the bulb, mount the ballast, igniter and run some cabling. I got it from: www.xtralights.com

I purchased the HID Digital Bi-Xenon Bulb 8000K (3300 lumins)with Hi/Lo features and the digital ballast with included igniter unit. The bulb features a electro-magnet to travels out for low beam and gets pulled back in about 1/2" for the high beam. I just installed this and really love the 300% more out put vs the Halogen and it only uses 35 watts of power. You gotta love that on a Max.

Totally water proof system and NO EMI to worry about.

Included_HID_H4_Kit.jpg Specs_Page.jpg bixenon_compare.gif

The HID system does require two modification that are very do-able, but some may not wish to do so.

1. The nose guard on the front of the new HID bulb is about 1/8" to long to install inside the Vmax headlight enclosure as is, but the nose guard was only screwed on. I was able to re-drill the nose guard screw hole about 1/4" lower towards the HID bulb and re-attach it and install it into the headlight enclosure with its H4 style mounting tangs.

2. The bulb and electro-magnet are about 3/8" to long to fit inside the existing rear bowl of the headlight enclosure without some sort of modification. I was able to drill and cut as needed on the existing plastic bowl so the new HID unit has plenty of room to pass through the back side of the headlight bowl.

I discussed both HID Install modifications with the dealer and they agreed to put a note on my purchase record, so these mods won't affect my bulb warranty.

I still working out the kinks on my DG8 gear indicator and i'll post something when I get it running again.

Other than that I really love my Max!

BrianK
bdk2272-5125
Houston, Texas\

I just sold my maroon 85 back to my brother so I could buy the 09. It had 30k
on the meter. I had purchased it from him about 10 years ago with second gear slipping. I fixed the tranny and restored the bike. It had Kirkers, stage 7, Frame braces, solid motor mounts. It only took him about a month to screw up 2nd gear again. I would like to find one of the Blue 85's to restore in the future.

Mine's a red 85 with just over 25k one owner (me) miles on the odometer. Nearly sold it this fall to make room for an 09, then decided to keep it a while longer.

I have an 85 in the shop being worked on, an 85 that is a friends, a couple of 85 frames and god knows how many others (including my 85 dragbike). They made a huge number that year but being the fastest bike made at that time and the incredible intro they did sold them by the droves.

Sean

I just sold my maroon 85 back to my brother so I could buy the 09. It had 30k
on the meter. I had purchased it from him about 10 years ago with second gear slipping. I fixed the tranny and restored the bike. It had Kirkers, stage 7, Frame braces, solid motor mounts. It only took him about a month to screw up 2nd gear again. I would like to find one of the Blue 85's to restore in the future.

Ithought they only had the maroon paint in 85. Were there other options?

The last 6 numbers of the vin for the sequence. They made 2 colors in 85. Maroon and a purplish blue.

Sean

I have the original black on my '85.
It also has big ass square blinkers.
It is a Canadian bike, so perhaps that is part of it?

I have an 85 in the shop being worked on, an 85 that is a friends, a couple of 85 frames and god knows how many others (including my 85 dragbike). They made a huge number that year but being the fastest bike made at that time and the incredible intro they did sold them by the droves.

Sean

Sean, does Nutsch still have his? If I remember right it's never been opened up for maintenance.

I have an '85. Just bought it Thursday. I've wanted one since Highschool (late 80's). I've come off of sportbikes & one cruiser (Susuki vs1400).

So far I love the 'Max. It doesn't seem to pull as well as I thought it would but I've had 1000cc sportbikes so maybe I'm spoiled. There's no "spike" at 6k like I've always heard of though it does pull very well to redline. Fasted cruiser I've ever ridden though.

I'm going to have the carbs sync'd & the v-boost check by a friend who's a wiz' with Max's. We'll see if there's an issue there.

Kerker 4-2-1 exhaust with stage 7 carb kit.

RR

He has his 86 which had the engine rebuilt with about 160 miles on it. Then again at 1000, then again at 5 or 6000.

Mike (at BG Products) had an 85 we fixed a couple of times and now he has another 85 that is in better condition.

The green vmax is an 85 and looks like it was still all original when we took it in. Needed a lot of cleaning up but haven't done anything internally.

Sean

I got one....
Sp, who's finally gonna nominate me for the "Highest Mileage on a VMax" award, or do I have to do it myself???:hmmm:

119,800 and counting!

I picked up my 85 in Febuary 09 #3985 (30333 on the odometer) replaced the wiring harness, painted it candy apple red, changed the exhaust to UFO 4 into 2 exhaust, replaced fork seals, progressive fork springs, and front tire. Im working on lining the carbs now. I wll keep it looking stock except for the exhaust. I will be riding no later than July 18th.

Rhoy

Back