How NOT to clean a bike chain

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn that totally sux! If you don't like to see blood & smushed fingers, DO NOT OPEN this site. The pics will be there when the page loads!

" O " MY GOD , you guy's know i always try to be funny , but not this time , this is serious & it could happen to anyone & just goes to show , one minute of a laps in judgment & he'll have to pay for it for the rest of his life ! I feel bad for him , a fellow biker ! If you guys think i'm getting soft , i'll pull my zipper down & show that i'm not !:rofl_200::biglaugh::rofl_200:

Damn that totally sux! If you don't like to see blood & smushed fingers, DO NOT OPEN this site. The pics will be there when the page loads!
Smushed? Shit man, they're gone!! Oh wow, hindsight is always 20/20. Poor bastard! Wow...

Thank god for shaft drive. I'll post a picture of my scar on my finger later on when my finger got squashed in the sprocket on my chopper when we loaded it onto a trailer recently. NOTHING like that poor soul got in that link, but a daily reminder when I look at my finger, it now has a permanent lump as the sprocket tooth cut to the bone and the healing skin formed a lump on the side.

I'm still not sure how the rag managed to pull his fingers through the rear sprocket, unless he was holding it on the upper side of the bottom run, right where it "enters" the rear sprocket. It caught for a sec and that's all it needed. That's like Shop Class 101----don't stick your fingers in front of the blade.

I managed to figure out how to clean the chain on my Magna, and did it several dozen times over the time I owned it with no accidents. Spray the chain down with wd40 liberally, then drag a nylon brush on TOP of the sprocket, as the chain is moving AWAY from you. Hold it lightly so if the brush catches it will just be yanked out of your hand. That seemed like just common sense to me.

Really unfortunate though, one boner move and now he's got 33% less fingers. At least gixxers have adjustable brake handles....

My wife's bike is chain drive, let's just say I'll never use a 'rag' to clean her chair.... yowzers, that still sucks though...

Wow.

That's not learning the hard way - that's ignoring safety rule 101 - locking down the machine you are working on that has moving parts.

That's common sense. Disable the device. Lock it out.

ya i saw this on the site he originally posted it on. he took alot of shit, but posted it anyway so other people could learn from his mistake. like coprunner said one small lapse in judgement. i lost the tip of my middle finger trying to lift an electric mower off a curb when i was 12. didnt think it was on as it was hung up on the curb. picked it up and wham instant on! coulda been way worse but the docs were able to save evrything else with minimal scarring. please think about what could happen before attempting anything really

later odieoh24

ya i saw this on the site he originally posted it on. he took alot of shit, but posted it anyway so other people could learn from his mistake. like coprunner said one small lapse in judgement. i lost the tip of my middle finger trying to lift an electric mower off a curb when i was 12. didnt think it was on as it was hung up on the curb. picked it up and wham instant on! coulda been way worse but the docs were able to save evrything else with minimal scarring. please think about what could happen before attempting anything really

later odieoh24

Me too, he stood up and took it like a man. like Tim said.. just one lil laps is all it takes.

My grand father did same insane damage to his hand - CLEARING A SNOW BLOWER.
I hate to think of that. They attached his fingers again though.

My dad worked in the meat dept at a grocery store when he was 19 or 20 and they ground up their own hamburger meat. There was this stick they had to use to push the meat down into the grinder but they never used it. My dad was the unlucky one and pushed it too far and it took his right pointer finger half off. Lucky for him he's a lefty but they weren't able to do much for his finger other than clean it and sew it up. He's a joker and asked to keep his finger. He put it in a jar with embalming fluid and added purple food coloring lol. My dad said "Stubby" was a great pacifier for us kids and likes to scare little kids that he sees picking their noses. He tells them he did that when he was younger and lost part of his finger up there :)

He's a joker and asked to keep his finger. He put it in a jar with embalming fluid and added purple food coloring lol. My dad said "Stubby" was a great pacifier for us kids and likes to scare little kids that he sees picking their noses. He tells them he did that when he was younger and lost part of his finger up there :)

Horrible accident, but your dad sounds like a real jokester. :clapping:

Every so often(in the rare case I'm not the one snowblowing the driveway), I'll see my father trying to clear a clog out of the impeller/auger without shutting off the engine. He's the biggest lazyass out there, and will seriously not shut it down because he's too lazy to pull the cord to start it again(and he uses the plug in electric start in the garage even though it starts in one pull every time).

I would say something, but I know he would just say that it's no big deal and to quit bothering him. He also uses a chainsaw drunk(but he insists he's fine so it's all good), so you get the picture. I really can't believe he's dodged Darwin for as long as he has.

Latest posts

Back