I am not starting a tire thread..but..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may not get too many repsonses on this one. Because your right, most Maxers are prolly running The Metzlerrs.............

What's expensive?

You oughtta be able to get the Metzlerrs for $130-$140 or so???? Not sure these days since going to radials years ago

Even the radials aren't bad now Rusty, z6 Metzler rear $142 shipped. 180/55. The Shinko's are ok, but you have to know when to get rid of them. And that's not very long. I'm interested in how the Dyna beads effect the tires after 8-9k miles. I've herd different stories. I'll report back when I change mine.
Steve-o

By the way those are not the Bridgestone Exedra G525 and G526 that comes with stock bikes. Probably a new replacement...

Correct...those are the "newer" model tires. I was just curious if anyone had a set on their bike and how they handled.

Even the radials aren't bad now Rusty, z6 Metzler rear $142 shipped. 180/55. The Shinko's are ok, but you have to know when to get rid of them. And that's not very long. I'm interested in how the Dyna beads effect the tires after 8-9k miles. I've herd different stories. I'll report back when I change mine.
Steve-o

I've been running Avons since going to the radials; 120 in front and 200 in back,, usually a set of two is about $280-$300 or so.

You're right about knowing when to get rid of them, especially the fronts whci cup and act weird long before wearing out. The Avons seem to give me more miles in the front before cupping tho.

Today I just had spooned-on a pair of Bridgestones (Exedras), the front is a G525 on my receipt, the bike is at my friend's shop or I would walk out and look at what the sidewall says for the rear. I think it is the 526 RWL V-rated (I did see they are V-rated). Only took a <10 mi. spin before putting it back in the shop where I am doing some work. They seemed to work OK and the price was good. MSRP $360, I paid $223/pair before tax, includes mounting on rims off the bike (I removed the wheels & reinstalled them) & spin-balance. The front end seemed to steer nicely & no 'shudder' from 40-45 mph when you back-out of the throttle as some people have reported (for their bikes, not necessarily these tires). Yeah I know a lot of people go to something else, but these were avail. today when I had the time & $ to put them on. Anything else I would have had to order, not a big deal, they get Parts Unlimited in 2-3 days usually.

By the way those are not the Bridgestone Exedra G525 and G526 that comes with stock bikes. Probably a new replacement...

I am running these currently (since last summer) They seem pretty good overall for a bias ply tire. One caveat is I have developed a high speed wobble over 115 this spring but I can not say for sure it is the tires ( it felt more stable last year when I was 70lbs heavier )

Aside from the speed wobble ( which we can't say for sure is their fault) they are pretty grippy, stable, and I have what feels like to me good feedback from the road surface to the bars.

According to the info in this link all the bias ply front tires are only H-rated, not V as required on the Vmax. Check your local regulations, if in the US you're prolly ok..

Interestingly, the rear comes in 150/80, 150/90B (what's the B for?), 160/80, 170/80 and 180/70, but only the 150/90B is V-rated. Shame, as if the 180/70 clears the swingarm, it would make a nice fat and lower tire which would boost acceleration and maybe be a lot more stable at high speed!

Also according to the fitment chart the Vmax is NOT listed. :ummm:

And according to the Bridgestone site, the only tires they make that are the right size and rating for the Vmax are the G525 (front) and G526 (rear), but both have a center straight groove which we always find is very sensitive to road irregularities..
confused24.gif

I just bought a set of metzler 880's they were 300.00 out the door, I didn't that was a bad price. I didn't check prices on other brands, are they that much cheaper?

I’ve tried a few brands but Avon tires have been amazing for me. They grip very well, all the way over to scraping foot pegs in a tight figure 8, which I learned it will do taking a Total Control riding class. They last (even with some very hard riding). You can get them V rated as opposed to H rated (like Metzelers). I run stock sizes which are the AM26 Roadrider 110/90V-18 in the front and the AM42 Venom 150/90VB-15 in the rear. Denniskirk.com has been a great dealer – fast, cheap(er), and the date codes on the tires are always real fresh.

I just purchased a BridgeStone Exedra Max 150/90B-15 V Rear Tire for $136.
Which is Definitely a V Rated tire as clearly shown in the chart on the Bridgestone site (it shows a s 74V, which means a load rating of 74 and a speed rating of V):
http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/exedra/max.html
The B stands for Bias.
I'm going to install it this Spring and will report back at the end of the season with my thought on this tire.

As I recall 25+ years ago, the Exedra made a higher pitched squealing sound when broke loose on brick streets than did the OEM Dunlop RWL qualifiers. Other than the different sound under hard accel, if memory serves, both tires hooked up the same and lasted for nearly identical mileages. I liked the raised white lettering on the OEM Dunlops better than the RWL's on the Exedras, and so, I've been using the Dunlops exclusively ever since, until this past rear changeout, when I installed a Stinko instead.

Report back. I'd be curious to know how that tire works for you. It should do well.

Last edited:
Metzler z6 radials are under my Cristmas tree. The 180/55/17 went for $98 this time, from Bike Bandit. Good deals are to be had out there. I look around a lot before I buy anything.
Steve-o

i find my avons break free easier then the metz....just my opinion.... like the over all ride of the metz and tire life(when im not in a burnout) worth the little extra cash to me.

havent tried a shinko so no comment there.

As I recall 25+ years ago, the Exedra made a higher pitched squealing sound when broke loose on brick streets than did the OEM Dunlop RWL qualifiers. Other than the different sound under hard accel, if memory serves, both tires hooked up the same and lasted for nearly identical mileages. I liked the raised white lettering on the OEM Dunlops better than the RWL's on the Exedras, and so, I've been using the Dunlops exclusively ever since, until this past rear changeout, when I installed a Stinko instead.

Report back. I'd be curious to know how that tire works for you. It should do well.
I have put about 550 Miles on the Exedra Max so far and I'm really liking it.
It seems to sticks as well in the twisties as the Shinko TM 230 did.
I'll Update again to include the mileage I get out of it.

Back