Ignition kill for air shifter?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdoprey

Reaction score
What are you fellas using for an ignition kill for your air shifter? Will a MPS "sportbike" 4 coil ignition kill work? Don't see why not. I've used the same unit on 4cyl bikes with 2 coils and wasted spark as well as on sportibkes with individual firing coil sticks. Guess i can look at the Dyna 3000. I know the Dyna 2000 has an ignition kill function.

Dale Walker's power shifter II is a nice kit that is adjustable and under $225 for the complete shift kit. Or you can go with his pushbutton kit for under $550 but it still uses the PSII ignition cut out.

Ya might want to give him a call to see if you can cut a deal on just the adjustable ignition interupt, I'm sure they will work with you.

You might want to take a peek at Thomas Powell's bike too. He's running an airshifter with a MPS ignition interupt.

Not to mention a host of other goodies on his ride. Clean wouldn't begin to describe his work. He definately put alot of time into his max.

http://imageevent.com/tppjr/modifications

Attachments

• powellsmax.jpg
    powellsmax.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 43
Strangely he looks like he's running those cheapo chinese shocks been debated in another thread :ummm:

Consensus seemed to be that they were crap, but seeing them on a bike this sorted makes me wonder!? :confused2:

Unless my eyes are going and these here are actually big $$ ?hlins.. Anyone?

(Of course he may just have chosen those for the pictures as they're yellow :biglaugh:)

Dale Walker's power shifter II is a nice kit that is adjustable and under $225 for the complete shift kit. Or you can go with his pushbutton kit for under $550 but it still uses the PSII ignition cut out.

Ya might want to give him a call to see if you can cut a deal on just the adjustable ignition interupt, I'm sure they will work with you.

When I first got my bike several years ago I bought the DW power shifter 11. It broke after a month or so. The switch by the shift lever failed. Dale sent me another switch that worked a little longer but failed also. When the Shifter was working, it was impossible to set the kill time right for the 1-2 shift and the 3-4-5 shifts. It either worked for the 1-2 shift but didn't work right on the 3-4-5 shift and vica versa.

So it has been sitting in my draw collecting dust. IMHO POS.

Now I have the Pingle Electric power shifter on a different bike and that works great! Only issue is it retails for $700-800 or so.

Strangely he looks like he's running those cheapo chinese shocks been debated in another thread :ummm:

Consensus seemed to be that they were crap, but seeing them on a bike this sorted makes me wonder!? :confused2:

Unless my eyes are going and these here are actually big $$ ?hlins.. Anyone?

(Of course he may just have chosen those for the pictures as they're yellow :biglaugh:)

Look closer they are Ohlins. No cheap shit on that bike.

IMO the DW powershifter is a waste of money you can accomplish the samething power shifting blipping the throttle, listen to some of my videos going down the track almost sounds like a 123 auto.
Whats the purpose of the powershifter if you have to have your foot to shift anyways:confused2: The point of an airshifter is so ya dont have to swing your foot up during first to hit 2nd gear in time and also a little more consistent for bracket racing in use with a shift light or an auto rpm activated box. Save your money with a power shifter, Just hold pressure up on your shifter and barely blip the throttle it will go into gear very quickly

As far ignition kill I used a 555 Industrial timer wired to the a momentary push button switch that was also wired to a 12VDC MAC valve which any industrial hose pneumatic store sells for around 100.00 which can also be used as a delay box it has many functions on it and adjustable from .010 second to 999. seconds.
The MPS switch is a POS IMO I have seen them fail many of times at the dragstrip and cause bent shift forks if the clevis doesnt break.
Plus that bulky ass switch going to handlbars with the 2 air hoses attached is bulky and sloppy looking. Old School.

Thanks fellas. I personally don't like Dale's electric shifter. I've had one. Pain to get cable set right, then needs adjusting often.
I'm very capable of clutchless shifting. I've even made passes foot shifting and then air shifting(electric kill, not air kill. I use horn button and a few relays. I build my own setups, just not the ignition kill unit). I've seen absolutely no gain and this was on a stk wheelbase 01 Bandit(ran 6.5-6.6's in the 1/8 with stk motor) as well as on a stk wheelbase 04 Busa. Usually brought my leg up and shifted with front in the air. In general, even capable dragracers gain .1-.15 in the 1/4 using an airshifter. This is due more to not having to pay attenton to bringing leg up. Did'nt make a difference to me.
I like to use them so i'm less likely to goof due to human error. It also helps balance and in turn 60's if you keep legs down for balance and help steer(if front is in the air).
My biggest reason for me to wanna use one on my V-max is that my bike is not the easiest bike to shift. I have to really pay attention or i'll miss a shift on this sucker. I rarely miss shifts, even foot shifting with Nitrous(not the easiest thing in the world to do), but on this bike i have to really pay attention. I had rather pay attention to other things, especially when tuning. This is when i'm more apt to miss a shift, due to really listening/feeling whats going on with bike. Also watching A/F guage an others.

I do agree the VMAX shifting does take effort compared to sport bike trannies. I believe this is just a Yamaha thing. My bike seems 3rd is the bitch. None of my other engines did this (99-03) I have missed it a couple of times once at the track and twice over the weekend trying to run hard with sport bikes on the back twisties.
It doesnt pop out just seems you really have to jam it hard under clutchless shifts. I know the 85's were bad about popping out of 2nd which mine hasnt done YET.
I just like to kill the ignition with a timer since its adjustable. I dont remember the kill time I had set on my GSXR. Of course with common sense start off with a long delay a few hundredth and work your way down.

As far ignition kill I used a 555 Industrial timer wired to the a momentary push button switch that was also wired to a 12VDC MAC valve which any industrial hose pneumatic store sells for around 100.00 which can also be used as a delay box it has many functions on it and adjustable from .010 second to 999. seconds.
quote]

Damn.... it's like something out of back to the future.....

The flux capacitor is directly wired to a dopler switch that activates the blinker fluid. Now, when the plank stretcher reaches 1.21 gigawatts, the secondary flanker indicator will momentarily actuate the inverse bi-directional shift lever..... or something like that.

quote]

Damn.... it's like something out of back to the future.....

The flux capacitor is directly wired to a dopler switch that activates the blinker fluid. Now, when the plank stretcher reaches 1.21 gigawatts, the secondary flanker indicator will momentarily actuate the inverse bi-directional shift lever..... or something like that.

You boys out west are still toting them 6 shooters. Do they even use electronics out in the wild west for dragracing? I bet you guys still use filiment style bulbs on your tree.
So I guess a 555 timer, mac valves, flow controls would sound like something out of a Back to the future movie....... Ohhh wait you have one dim fancy smancy progressive nos controllers, have ya been able to break 100 mile in the 1/8 with it?

When was Iowa considered in the West?
As for dragracing in the Wild West, well we can barely hang on to these Iron Horses, but be a'int too bad at it...:)

When was Iowa considered in the West?
As for dragracing in the Wild West, well we can barely hang on to these Iron Horses, but be a'int too bad at it...:)

Not to hijack the the thread with Geography 101.. In the 19th century they considered anything west of the Mississippi River to be considered the Wild West.
Dallas does have an awesome track that is (well used to be anyway) all concrete. I dont remember racing against anyone that was competive from TX, most were from Fla. and the Klemma Brothers and Ed Grothus out of Davenport IA. TX is also known for there TX mile which is very interesting to read about some of the bikes that attend.

No competative riders out here.

Just fun'n. Its all good. Ennis is a nice track. Houston has nice track and real good air most of the time. Most anywhere is better than out where i'm at though. Air always seems to be crummy.

Attachments

• Picture_037.jpg
    Picture_037.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 26
No competative riders out here.

Just fun'n. Its all good. Ennis is a nice track. Houston has nice track and real good air most of the time. Most anywhere is better than out where i'm at though. Air always seems to be crummy.

No, I am sure there are some competiive bracket bike racers in TX. Its been over 14 yrs since I traveled with the IDBA and Dash for Cash runs. Most of big money bracket racers were as mentioned I also forgot about Roy and Candy Hagadorn.. I am sure you Fla guys know them I think they are from the Bradenton Fla area, both are very prosfessinal and talented dragracers..
Damn what did ya win that trophy for? Its huge! The money the track spent for that trophy I would have rather seen a paycheck.. I used to play around on Friday nights for the king of the hill race if I had a big race out of town, and they would give out trophies if ya won which said KING OF THE HILL, mso many times I told them to keep it for next weeks winner just give me money! I cant fix my bike with plastic and marble.

Yep, thats Nobel. First PMRA race of 06. On a borrowed bike no less. It was Street ET. Paid $100 and that trophy. I also won the 3rd PMRA race at WIR in Kansas, but the official camera person for PMRA lost the photos(i believe she said they were corrupted or some such). Your right though, can't eat those trophies. I donated them along with 30 other trophies to a ATV track in Bentonville, Arkansas. They ran some kiddie classes there and were tickled to get them.

Yep, thats Nobel. First PMRA race of 06. On a borrowed bike no less. It was Street ET. Paid $100 and that trophy. I also won the 3rd PMRA race at WIR in Kansas, but the official camera person for PMRA lost the photos(i believe she said they were corrupted or some such). Your right though, can't eat those trophies. I donated them along with 30 other trophies to a ATV track in Bentonville, Arkansas. They ran some kiddie classes there and were tickled to get them.

Man thats a great idea I wish I would have thought of that,, JR dragsters, kids love trophies!!
100.00 and a trophy:ummm: I am affraid to ask what the entry fee was..

Here is your 100.00 and a 80.00 trophy. Keep the trophy and giv me 150

I was at all the events at Nobel in 06 so I would have been the only guy there on a Vmax.

Sean

Latest posts

Back