Is The Second Gen Max For Me?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
asthetically it really doesnt turn me on lol....i hate the headlight and the design of the seat and rear end. the engine is pure eye candy tho.....ear candy as well..

Amen to that! It's the one thing that lets it down hugely in my eyes, and the first thing I'd look at replacing if I ever get one!

Amen to that! It's the one thing that lets it down hugely in my eyes, and the first thing I'd look at replacing if I ever get one!

Really? Huh, that's weird to me... the headlight doesn't bother me at all. The only things that "had to go" IMO were the factory mirrors, the plastic "snow shovel" tail and the orange turn signal lenses. Got rid of those (Chinese Rizoma clone mirrors, Corbin undertail kit - painted silver and smoked lenses). Add on the "must have" items (for me) - the touring wind screen and passenger backrest with luggage rack along with a few "blingy" items like the cam covers and Python exhaust tips (all the reflectors and the Star emblems on the scoops were also removed) and I think my Max looks awesome. :biglaugh:

The only things that would make it look even better to me would be the 240 back wheel and getting rid of all the brownish-bronze colored parts. The 240 wheel is too much of a PITA to deal with for tire changes and the brown colored bits have grown on me since I've owned it and I've decided to leave them alone (I can't say that I like them, but I don't dislike them like I did at first).

Performance-wise, all I need is an x-pipe to get rid of the cat (love the factory dual exhaust cans) with a Nash ECU reflash and I "think" I'm done.... maybe. :eusa_dance:

Scott

vmax2017.jpg

vmax2013.jpg

vmax2012.jpg

vmax2010.jpg

Sharp bike Scott! I just can't afford one, I've got about $7000 total into my 94 including purchase price and all the mods and its good enough for me :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

a blacked out USD front end on the gen2 woulda looked nice too. i'm surprised they didn't.

This is coming from a guy who lusted after the 1st gen when they came out in '85 - being a soldier who just graduated from HS back then, there was no way I could afford one on Army pay, so I just lusted from afar. Since that time, after a few Honda Interceptors, the first and last Harley I will ever buy, a couple Triumphs, a Moto Guzzi, and most recently a couple of very nice Victory motorcycles, I decided to scratch that almost 3 decade itch and jump into the deep end of the pool. The only add ons I did were the OEM saddlebags and the OEM boulevard windscreen. I remember thinking 'Holy Hanna, what if I hate it, I just spent 19K on something I might be tired of in 3 weeks' and wordering if teh dealer would give me full credit for the bike if I came back in a week and wanted to trade it in on a Triumph Thunderbird Storm.

No worries. I just love the d@mn thing. I don't ride it with my hair on fire, I don't need to be the fastest on the street, and I have no intention on ever entering a burnout pit or going to the nearest drag strip with it. For me, it is just another street cruiser - but for a big muscle cruiser, it is unbelievably well mannered, and handles better than either one of my Victory cruisers (which I didn't expect, at all.) What was the only major shortcoming in 1st gen (handling) was completely rectified in the makeover - I feel like I'm back in the saddle of one of my old Interceptors, only with a big @ss Titan IV rocket engine strapped on. The bike looks great, turns heads everywhere. No regrets whatsoever. Yeah, it goes thru gas and has a small tank, and at 5'10" I can't get completely flat footed at rest, but since I rarely go on long distance (over 100 mile) jaunts anyway, it is a minor quibble.

If I had to do it all over again, I would, just a few years sooner.

my $0.02

i browsed thru it, only thing i found odd was him saying you need a decade of riding experience to get on one.

i browsed thru it, only thing i found odd was him saying you need a decade of riding experience to get on one.

That's cause even though I have over 2 1/2 decades of experience riding my gen 1, I still have trouble gripping the bars tight enough when going WOT on this 09 beast. Half again HP is breathtaking - and more than a bit 'exciting'.

Left the gas station yesterday, got it lined out, went WOT and hit the rev limiter before I realized what was happening. (darn fuel slicked roads around those stations anyway)

I'd be the last person to ever advise a 'newbee' to go at a Gen II for his/her first bike.

i understand that, but it just seemed a bit much to say a 'decade' vs this is not for a new rider.

i have 4 years of motorcycling now with 30k+ miles miles, all but 4 of that on a vmax. Does that mean I should wait another 6 years before test riding one? just seemed kind of odd is all.

i'm taking nothing away from the bike though. haven't ridden one so can't comment, but would love to try one out one day.

I stopped reading it after I read him say the B-King wasn't any fun to ride. WTF? I just rode the Dragon at Deals Gap with it TWICE this past weekend, and still can't wipe the grin off my face. I'm still going to buy me a new VMAX someday, soon as I find one for 10K. :punk:

Do I look like I'm having fun here????

DealsGap3.jpg

Last edited:
I personally do not enjoy cruiser ergos which is why I now own a Bandit 1250. However, if I had Gen-2 kind of dough I would buy a ZX14 ($15,000 new) and take sport touring to the next level. Bar risers and suspension tweaks would make the ergos more liveable for me. I'd add side bags and a top box for my storage needs. This would give me a bike with range, power, ergos, passenger potential, and a bit of handling as well. Appearances are a subjective thing but I think the ZX14 looks great and it gets a lot of positive feedback at rallys I've attended.

Blaine

I stopped reading it after I read him say the B-King wasn't any fun to ride. WTF? I just rode the Dragon at Deals Gap with it TWICE this past weekend, and still can't wipe the grin off my face. I'm still going to buy me a new VMAX someday, soon as I find one for 10K. :punk:

Do I look like I'm having fun here????

DealsGap3.jpg

Kinda looks like fun. But....if you could just find some tighter turns.....and get up some REAL speed.........Then you'd REALLY be having fun!! :eusa_dance:

56.jpg

Hey! How do I make my picture big like yours.....? LOL

Kinda looks like fun. But....if you could just find some tighter turns.....and get up some REAL speed.........Then you'd REALLY be having fun!!

Unfortunately, you don't have much of a choice on the Dragon, they only have cameras in certain spots, and it's not like you can SPEED around them curves! Not to mention the police presence everywhere, I saw more cops there in a day then I've seen in all of Northern Kentucky in 2 months! Besides, I gaurantee I can go faster around curves on my King than any 2nd generation VMAX ever will! :biglaugh:

Hey! How do I make my picture big like yours.....? LOL

I downloaded that picture from Killboy.com, they are one of the half a dozen or so outfits that take pictures along the Dragon. Obviously, they are high quality, high resolution pictures! I downloaded it to my Photobucket account and that's the size that came out! Probably make a nice poster too, but maybe I'll wait until I can get a picture of myself going FASTER! LOL!!!!! :biglaugh:

I downloaded that picture from Killboy.com, they are one of the half a dozen or so outfits that take pictures along the Dragon. Obviously, they are high quality, high resolution pictures! I downloaded it to my Photobucket account and that's the size that came out! Probably make a nice poster too, but maybe I'll wait until I can get a picture of myself going FASTER! LOL!!!!! :biglaugh:

Mine are hi-res as well from Killboy.....I just can't seem to get the large images to show up in my posts. :confused2:

Mine are hi-res as well from Killboy.....I just can't seem to get the large images to show up in my posts. :confused2:

Ahhh....fixed it! Enjoy! :worthy:

Back