Is The Second Gen Max For Me?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidss

Reaction score
I am kinda thinking I would like this bike but I am not sure, I have a first gen and I like it except the handling. I also have a 01 ZX12R that I bought new and I like it and no complaints. I have 05 ZX10R and its way to uncomfortable for me. I also have a 05 Aprilia Tuono and I like it other than the parts situation. Anyway can someone enlighten me on any negatives if there are any? Unless you have a friend that will let you ride his bike there is no way to know if you would like something or not. By the way I am 58 but not dead yet LOL

I would suggest getting to know the Houston area group. There are some good people out there & you might even meet some one that would let you ride there's. Mike Hansen has Tech days once in a while out in Spring.

For me, the one negative I found is that it's like sitting on a Clydesdale Horse. Other than that the rear seating for my wife is awkward for her. Never was able to even get her on one. She'd do fine if she was 30 again....:rofl_200: It's Absolutely Awe Inspiring other than those issues...

It's an amazing and totally unique machine.

And built to last forever. I have a friend on another forum who since new has ridden his VMax like he stole it, in the Texas heat, for 60,000 miles. He just now at 60k had his first issue that involved output bearing failing. It was an easy fix and covered under his extended warranty. This bike has been ridden really HARD, hammered over and over with only normal maitenance....has not even had the valves adjusted yet. When you get to see one up close, and work on one you can see the quality of the parts and workmanship. The frame, suspension and drivetrain are all "over " built.

The bike is long, and heavy.....but also extremely powerful, responsive, stable and has great brakes. I've run at 170 mph and it's as steady as a rock. At my age and with my riding style I'm not interested in some high strung wheelie machine like a ZX10. This bike can be just as exciting and also can be ridden just like a Hardley if you want to.

I hooked up with some sport bikes today and granted they weren't BMW 1000RR's but the fastest guy there on a modified RC51 was totally blown away that I was destroying him on every straight and hanging right with him in the turns. There is no other bike in the world Like the Gen 2 when you look at what it is, and what it can do.

All that being said it has some shortcomings:

The range is poor, you'll find yourself thinking about the next gas station often.

It's not great 2 up stock. There are kits for lowering the passenger pegs, and a backrest helps a lot.

For pure drag-racing it's not the best platform, mostly because of the shaft drive. That's where all the extra weight is, and it doesn't allow you to change the gearing. There are cheaper ways to go as fast or faster.

The price. It's unfortunate that the price has gone up since the introduction in 2009. I paid $16,500 new when I pre-ordered mine in 2009, that was a bargain for what I got. Absolutely NO regrets worth every penny and then some. I would have no reservations buying a used one, if the owner could show they just did the minimum required servicing. It's built that good.

So in short it's a bike that can do some amazing things for a "cruiser" and there is no other bike like it in the world... IMO. Puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. :biglaugh:

-Mark-

Oh...and it draws crowds and questions every where you go, I still get a kick out of that.

I have a 2009 located for $12,500.00. It has 7500 miles the guy bought it new and kept inside. All stock with a Corbin passenger seat. Iam going to check on financing tomorrow. Sounds like a fair deal if the bike checks out. He said he hasnt had the oil pump recall done yet. Opinions?

I think ItGoes hit it on the head - (very) poor range and high price, other than that the Gen II is a winner!
And the price is getting better all the time, there are plenty of '09 and '10 at more affordable prices in dealers and online.

The range, however, is a bitch if you live anywhere like here where gas station are far apart. Not sure if anyone has yet come with a decent solution to replace that ridiculously small tank or add to it in a cool way?

And if you drop it with no design for engine guards you are fucked, right?

And you better have long enough legs to get flat footed on the ground, high seat. Or get a lowering kit, reworked seat.

Just things to consider.

O

i have to agree that its over priced for what it is.....

asthetically it really doesnt turn me on lol....i hate the headlight and the design of the seat and rear end. the engine is pure eye candy tho.....ear candy as well. it is what it is......a rip roaring street ripper:biglaugh: just like the gen1 with a lil more nutz.

Yup, it's worth it. I bought mine in November of last year and I absolutely love it. Paid $12K for a stock bike with 1968 miles on it and had to drive 18.5 hours round trip to pick it up (completely stressed out the whole time because I was so unsure that I was making the right choice). I can now say that I don't regret a single dollar I've spent on it. Yeah, it's pricey, heavy and has a too short range, but it's a fantastic bike overall.

Check out the starvmax forum for some great info, too.

Here's one on ebay that has a LOT of very expensive parts added on and has very low miles. I would check to see how much it would take to buy this one. Anything you don't like you could remove and easily sell for a few extra bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009...motorcycles&hash=item3cc9dc7410#ht_510wt_1165

Scott

I have a 2009 located for $12,500.00. It has 7500 miles the guy bought it new and kept inside. All stock with a Corbin passenger seat. Iam going to check on financing tomorrow. Sounds like a fair deal if the bike checks out. He said he hasnt had the oil pump recall done yet. Opinions?

I know of this bike, and from what he told me, it's been ridden hard and already needs a new clutch. Did he mention this to you?

My spin on things--

CONS:

A bit unrefined at low speeds as far as throttle controll--

Cost--( used is a much better price )

Limited range--( i run between 24-32 mpg )

needs a hotter coil maybe--( spins over to much befor it catches )

Ugly turn signals--

Aftermarket stuff is pretty good, but spendy--

Front and rear pegs are a jokes--

Cant seem to hook up very well & the first two gears leave long ugly black marks all over the place with large amounts of choking white smoke in the air--

PROS:

Handles very well for a long heavy bike--

Looks that turns heads, gets plenty of comments, you might not like the head light or the x-wing fighter tail gear but this thing looks major billy badass!!

Decent rideing position--

Nice wide seat but to hard--

Kickass brakes!!!--

Doesnt seem to hook up very well & the first two gears leave long ugly black marks all over the place with large amounts of choking white smoke in the air--

Shorthair888.........

The slow cranking is due to a compression release so the starter can turn the big motor over more easily... It is not your coils....

Back