Just bought my first Vmax and have a couple questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mud_shark86

Reaction score
Hey, very nice forum you guys have here! It looks like it will be very helpful!
I just put my hands on a 99 with 17000 kms. First time I had tried one of these was when the guy let me take it for a test drive before I bought it. 3 minutes into the ride, I was sold! A major step up from my 85 Intruder...hahaha.

Anyway, I noticed when I was test driving it, the temp guage wasn't working. I asked him about it and he said it worked last summer. He retired the max last summer because his wife didn't like riding on it. I just figured it was a loose connection or the sensor was gone in the rad but I don't see any sensors anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions on how to trouble shoot it? What wires to test or where to find the sensor?

Also, someone before me polished the scoops and now they're hazed over and don't look all that great. I tried Nevrdull on them put it turned the nevrdull black and didn't seem to make much difference. Will the nevrdull eventually pollish them up or is there another route to take? I thought maybe something like a scotchbrite pad but just not as rough..?

Other than that I'm sooo happy I bought one of these...90kms in 1st gear with the vboost kicking in half way is unbelievable..These bikes are unreal!

Welcome to VMF. I'm not sure what to tell you about the gauge. there's not much to it. Sensor, Wire, Gauge. I hope it's simply a wire.

Never Dull works best on a surface that is already polished. Chrome polish may work to clean and polish... Then Never Dull.

Go Fast, Stay Happy...

Welcome to the forum and the Vmax community.

The sending unit wires are located under the right front scoop, remove the tank cover, then the two allen bolts to get to it. The unit is directly under the radiator cap fill housing. Two wire connector and a single bullet style behind that.

Most people remove the factory clear coat and paint on the scoops with a can stripper and use an automotive wet/dry sand paper starting from a medium to ultra fine to get the luster they like, then maintain it with a metal polish. I (along with many others) got tired of this ritual and had them chromed for looks and convenience.

You got questions...we got answers!

The temp sending unit is under the right side scoop, the small single wire sending unit. The 2 wire sending unit is the fan switch.

wet sand the scoops with 2000 grit that polish them with a buffing wheel adn polishing compound, if you got teh extra scratch you can get them chromed

Welcome to the best max forum on earth!

'99 is a great year to have. Beware of the mod monkey, he lurks around here and will make you spend untold amounts of $$ as soon as you see all the lovely mods available for your new ride..

If you like the chromed look on the scoops, best send them to Sean Morley ([email protected]) for real chrome, that way you won't need to keep on polishing all the time. Otherwise, a good coat of your fave color of paint does a great trick.

Or, as the mod monkey will prolly tell ya, you can also get carbon fiber look scoops, lighter than the OEM ones, not hugely expensive and you can get money back by selling yours - people are always looking for some in good shape.

Welcome aboard !!!

My temp gauge always sticks. After it warms up for a couple minutes I give it a good flick with my finger & the needle pops up & works fine until the next day. Connections are tight - the gauge just sticks a little at first. Hasn't bothered me enough to mess with it really. My vote is , give it a good finger flick & see what happens...

Welcome Mud Shark! We are always pleased to see new V Max owners show up here.

Please let me introduce myself, I am the Mod Monkey. Not your own personal monkey, he is currently in training and will show up at your house within the next few weeks. :biglaugh:

There are several options for making your scoops very attractive, the most work and least expensive is polishing. Then there is chrome, black chrome, powdercoating and paint. All work very well, just depends on your personal preference.

Again, welcome to the great world of the V Max, we'll be talking!! :eek:h yeah:

welcome aboard the Vmax world. And you are right by saying this is a great site. All the guys here are awesome . Beware of the Mod monkey.

welcome dude, for sure watch out for the monkey, they will find you sooner or later lol.

Thanks a lot! I checked under the scoop today and found the singe wire loose. One little pinch with the pliers and the gauge is working. Awsome! Good thing I took the air box lid off because a mouse had made a nest out of fibre glass insulation in the air filter. I would say it happened over storage in the winter.. It was half full and he also chewed the filter a bit. I guess the mods begin with a K&N!:eusa_dance: Think I'll just get the single filter. I'm not into the pod filter and re jetting just yet.. Just by cleaning the filter out I noticed a difference..

Pod filters aren't really all that good anyway, the best airfilter power mod comes from Sean Morley. He simply shims the 'Y' intake on top of the box and that works way better than any pods. Also you get to keep your crankcase breather - with pods it's a right mess with an ugly breather pipe attached to a modified oil filler cap and going to two of the pods via a web of hoses.

Pod filters aren't really all that good anyway, the best airfilter power mod comes from Sean Morley. He simply shims the 'Y' intake on top of the box and that works way better than any pods. Also you get to keep your crankcase breather - with pods it's a right mess with an ugly breather pipe attached to a modified oil filler cap and going to two of the pods via a web of hoses.
With Sean's jet kit you still have the secondary (oil cap breather hose) crankcase vent (which "T's" into existing factory crankcase breather hose) and you also get the modified air filter cover (large rectangular k&n filter). This is the jet kit you'll want to get once you decide to do some jetting.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_1688.jpg
    100_1688.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 30
Thats cool. I have to start reading about this bike and how things work. I run snowmobiles and have a Polaris scrambler and have that modded to the max just about..But you get to know the machine by working on it and reading.. The 4 cylinders scare me, the 4 carbs scare me, the Vboost really scares me:clapping:lol. Think I'll start with a K&N filter and eventually a belly pan.

The Mod monkey has begun. enjoy.

Don't be afraid to ask any max questions here.I have found nothing but great info.
lots of good tech advice, members do some great mods.
They feed my mod monkey with ideas. good luck with your new addiction

With Sean's jet kit you still have the secondary (oil cap breather hose) crankcase vent (which "T's" into existing factory crankcase breather hose) and you also get the modified air filter cover (large rectangular k&n filter). This is the jet kit you'll want to get once you decide to do some jetting.

I like the hose setup you got Brian. Looks good!

I like the hose setup you got Brian. Looks good!
Thanks, Mike! I wanted to clean up the area and after going to a rear brake pressure switch I thought I needed to make the hose/ connector look better as well. I'll probably will upgrade the battery ground bolt to a SS Allen head this winter.
I got the parts from Sean(oil cap/ "T") and Summit Racing. The SS rubber lined flex hose(3', -10 an) and black fitting (10 an) cost about $30 and were Earl's brand. Fairly easy to fabricate and after loosening the black fitting the hose pulls right off to add oil. The black fitting is actually a hose clamp style connector.

Put on 200 kms yesturday on a very nice ride. I fueled up at 100 kms and it took $11.22 (gas is $1.07 a litre) My buddies 800 Vulcan took $7. I said "If you want power, yah gotta burn gas!!" On the way back I stopped for gas with 85 kms on and it took $6.50. Guess it was the highway mileage vs crusing around town. I'm not too worried about putting gas in it or how much it costs. I enjoy the bike too much to be growling over fuel mileage.

I let the guy on the vulcan try it for about 15kms home. He couldnt get over the difference. He said "I figured it would have power, but that thing's nuts!" I just laughed. Frig I love this bike!

Back