Look what i just got

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icecold

Reaction score
So a funny story.
Im a yamaha guy, always have been probably always will be. My father was a regional technical advisor for the factory in Cudahy WI for many years. They paid the bills for our family and make outstanding products and have always been very innovative in the industry so thats where my allegiance lies. Anyway.

We moved from WI to IA in 1999 and my father went back to work for the yamaha dealer he started work for waaaay back when. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I find this 1985 Vmax on craigslist for 3k. Got 26k and some change miles on it with less then 5k miles on an engine rebuild and hasnt run in about a year and hes got all the paper work that came with the rebuild. So i call up the old man and say "whaddya think pops?" he says "thats not bad, offer em 2500 and go from there." I says "ok". The guy bites so i call up the old man again and ask him to come check it out with me. Unfortunately i was not blessed with the mechanical ability or patience that he was, so im always calling him to help me out with shiz of this nature.

So we get there and dad tears into it, "gas tank is clean, forks and shocks aint leakin, no wet spots on anything, probably just needs the carbs cleaned and itll be right as rain." About that time the guy hands my dad an envelope with all the paper work in it. The old man thumbs through it, and says "check this out, see that date?(something, something, 2000) "yeah?" i say. "thats my hand writing." he says "Holy Shit, i built this motor!" a collective "WHAT?!?" he goes "yeah this bike had 25000 miles on it when it was rebuilt and now its got 26xxx on it. He only put 1600 miles on it since it was rebuilt."

So i call the wife, tell her to cash the profit sharing bonus check i just got from work and today and 2500 later i loaded it up and here she is.

IMG0167-M.jpg

IMG0165-M.jpg

IMG0163-M.jpg

IMG0164-M.jpg

IMG0166-M.jpg

That's a great story and by your account should have very nice running '85. It sounds like you dad will have all the mechanicals covered but if there is anything you or he has a question about I'm sure one of our knowledgeable experts can help you with it. Glad to have you on board!
There is a ongoing post on thie site documenting 85's for thier last four digits of the VIN, current mileage, whether it's stock or modified, and how many owners it has had (if known).
Edit: here is the post documenting the 85's.

Right on Redbone thanks for the heads up, ill look into it.:cheers:
After lurking on this site for sooo long its finally nice to be a part of the action:punk:

great story and nice bike ! I don't think i've ever seen a white one before but it sure is cool

Great Grab! Where are you located in Iowa? I'm down in Washington. Let me know if you need a hand with anything... I have quite a few parts as well.

Cheers,

Jeff Huber

That's a Fantastic Story.
It sounds like you were Fated to own that bike !

Nice shot, Oswald!

What's the story with the plate, looks creased? Btw talk to Sean Morley of Morley Muscle. As I recall He has a box full of OEM turn signals going cheap to a good home. Welcome to the site!

Back