Low oil pressure

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmtruc

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an '07, changed the oil for the first time around 600miles with a compatible replacement filter, and Rotel oil, everything was fine for 1800miles, then changed to Royal Purple bike synthetic, now, after warmup, oil light turns on around/above 6K rpms. I changed back to Rotel to see if it was a weird thing with the syn oil, it's still happening, so it was probably just a coincidence the light came on with the syn oil.
I'm taking it in to the dealer today, anyone heard of this?

Once it comes back, I'll drill and tap that plug on the side for an external oil pressure gauge.

thanks,
allen

Hi,

I have an '07, changed the oil for the first time around 600miles with a compatible replacement filter, and Rotel oil, everything was fine for 1800miles, then changed to Royal Purple bike synthetic, now, after warmup, oil light turns on around/above 6K rpms. I changed back to Rotel to see if it was a weird thing with the syn oil, it's still happening, so it was probably just a coincidence the light came on with the syn oil.
I'm taking it in to the dealer today, anyone heard of this?

Once it comes back, I'll drill and tap that plug on the side for an external oil pressure gauge.

thanks,
allen

I dont know how you have low oil pressure? The VMAX only has a light which reads "Oil Level" Check your site glass on the front right side of the block and level ground make sure your oil level is to the top line.
You dont have enough oil in it. Stay away from the Yamaha Stealer ooops did I say stealer I meant dealer

That's normal. First,make sure oil level is between the two markers on the window. Since the oil level switch is towards the front of the crankcase the oil light is prone to come on under hard acceleration.

No need to drill/tap for an oil pressure gauge. There's already a threaded hole behind the plug on the right side just behind the water pump cover. It's a fairly good sized allen bolt.

This is a common occurance with the Max under heavy acceleration. The oil light is not a low pressure light, but an oil level indicator. When designing the Max Yamaha put the oil level sensor in the front left of the oil pan, this causes it to become uncovered during heavy acceleration. Your oil pickup is in the rear of the pan and is not starving the engine for oil when this occurs. One way to stop this from happening is to put in a full 4 quarts when doing an oil change. It will fill the motor to just at the top of the sight glass and not overfill it. The manual calls for 3.8 Litres of oil so an additional 200ml isnt going to hurt things.

This is a common occurance with the Max under heavy acceleration. The oil light is not a low pressure light, but an oil level indicator. When designing the Max Yamaha put the oil level sensor in the front left of the oil pan, this causes it to become uncovered during heavy acceleration. Your oil pickup is in the rear of the pan and is not starving the engine for oil when this occurs. One way to stop this from happening is to put in a full 4 quarts when doing an oil change. It will fill the motor to just at the top of the sight glass and not overfill it. The manual calls for 3.8 Litres of oil so an additional 200ml isnt going to hurt things.

Yes But it does effect oil pressure as I stated in a different post. When I didnt have my oil filled up to the top line my oil light would come on and under high RPM the oil pressure would flucate and the needle would shutter. so yes something is going on with the oil pressure when the oil light comes on.

Yes But it does effect oil pressure as I stated in a different post. When I didnt have my oil filled up to the top line my oil light would come on and under high RPM the oil pressure would flucate and the needle would shutter. so yes something is going on with the oil pressure when the oil light comes on.

Could the fluctuations you are seeing be caused by the bypass/pressure relief opening? I know that PCW puts in a "gag" (for lack of a better term) to keep it from opening until oil pressure reaches 80 psi. I don't know off the top of my head what the stock setting is. Of course I didn't have the light coming on issue because I put in 4L of oil instead of the 3.8 Yamaha says to put in, and I never saw my pressure fluctuate even under hard acceleration before.

Could the fluctuations you are seeing be caused by the bypass/pressure relief opening? I know that PCW puts in a "gag" (for lack of a better term) to keep it from opening until oil pressure reaches 80 psi. I don't know off the top of my head what the stock setting is. Of course I didn't have the light coming on issue because I put in 4L of oil instead of the 3.8 Yamaha says to put in, and I never saw my pressure fluctuate even under hard acceleration before.

Pressure relief is set at 65 PSI. And NO its not the pressure relief due to it bounces 48-55 avg when low oil light comes on.
Also as I stated......... it did this when it was low on oil not to the top line. If it was a pressure relief valve wouldnt I see this all the time, NO
But thanks for your input.

Where do you have your gauage mounted?

Boy, you never know who you'll run into around here. :surprise:

Hey Allen, I think you'll recognize my screen name from another forum or 2 around the net. :cheers:

That's normal. First,make sure oil level is between the two markers on the window. Since the oil level switch is towards the front of the crankcase the oil light is prone to come on under hard acceleration.

No need to drill/tap for an oil pressure gauge. There's already a threaded hole behind the plug on the right side just behind the water pump cover. It's a fairly good sized allen bolt.

What thread size is this allen plug? I think I'll put a fitting in there, route it to gauge.

What thread size is this allen plug? I think I'll put a fitting in there, route it to gauge.

I am not sure what the thread size is but its larger than what any oil pressure gauge kit gives you. also its metric and not a fine thread. Double Strike.
I took the Allan bolt out, found what adapter I was going to use and drilled and tapped for the thread pitch.

Pressure relief is set at 65 PSI. And NO its not the pressure relief due to it bounces 48-55 avg when low oil light comes on.
Also as I stated......... it did this when it was low on oil not to the top line. If it was a pressure relief valve wouldnt I see this all the time, NO
But thanks for your input.

Where do you have your gauage mounted?

Ok, didn't know how much pressure you were talking about, under heavy acceleration your pressure spikes, whether the light goes on or not. Of course with my gauge mounted next to my speedo seeing the light and the gauge at the same time would be a bit problematic.

That little of a fluctuation probably wouldn't get my attention too much due to how much it changes under acceleration anyway. Mine right now will go from 50 psi at 4k RPM to 80 psi at 7k RPM with no fluctuations at all. Of course my engine is not low on oil and is brand new.

That's what I'll do then, a lot easier to replace that alan bolt if i want to return to stock.

thanks!

allen

Contact Cycle One Off about one of his oil pressure kits if you are looking at getting one. The fitting mounts directly into the hole for the galley plug and he has several different options for mounting the gauge, from down by your foot to one like mine up by the speedo.

Thanks for the reply, I changed the oil again, put 4 qts in it, or almost, and no issue with the light. Just wanted to follow up.

I'll check out that oil pressure kit.

thanks,
allen

One way to stop this from happening is to put in a full 4 quarts when doing an oil change. It will fill the motor to just at the top of the sight glass and not overfill it.

+1. I've done this for years with no appearant side effects........DONE.

I know many have said they just put in the 4 quarts and not had a problem but I would be cautious.

Too much oil is just as bad as not enough. It will cause foaming and air entrainment which will lose its lubricity. The max actually has 1/2 quart left over in all the galleys when you change the oil so when you are putting in a full 4 quarts you actually have 4.5 quarts of oil in there. Fill it to the line and then stop.

Just my .02

Back