Lowering Front with Race Tech Springs/Emulators

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-cman

Alien Abductee
Reaction score
I have an otherwise stock 2003 front suspension with Race Tech 1.0 fixed rate springs and cartridge emulators. The rear shocks are Progressive 418's at 12.5 " long. Since the Progressives are shorter than stock, I'm guessing I need to lower the front about 1" or so. I have done that by raising the fork tubes 1" in the triple trees.

What I want to know is how do I do the internal lowering with the setup I have so I don't have to raise the fork tubes?

Also, how much lower is the rear end with the 12.5" shocks and what would be the recommended amount to lower the front? I would like to have the overall front geometry slightly lower than stock to quicken the steering.

And finally, does lowering internally reduce the chance of the radiator hitting the fender as opposed to the fork tube raising method?

I tried searching but was not very successful in finding answers. :confused2:

Always lower the rear at LEAST an equal amount to the front. In this case I'd go 1" up front.

You lowered your rear one half inch.

You do this internally by adding a spacer or an extra rebound/extension spring which only allows the fork to extend so far.

+1 to Chris's comments. I lowered mine 2" in the front but left the rear at stock height, I probably should have only went with a one inch drop but I haven't had any adverse handling effects nor does it hit the radiator with the progressive springs in. I am planning on extending the S/A 3" and see what length shocks I need then, probably 12".
I think the reason most people hit the radiator is that they lower it too much and/or they lower it with stock springs which allow it to bottom the fork springs and hit the radiator.

Always lower the rear at LEAST an equal amount to the front. In this case I'd go 1" up front.

You lowered your rear one half inch.

You do this internally by adding a spacer or an extra rebound/extension spring which only allows the fork to extend so far.

Thanks for the info. Exactly what size spacer and where does it go? Will it require changing/cutting of the upper spacer? Is there anyplace this info is available to download/print?

Latest posts

Back