Lowering the Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midmoraider

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am fairly new to the forum, have been reading posts for awhile but have never commented. There is some really great info on here for the new max owners. I got mine in April and have been enjoying the heck out of it. Per alot of folks advice, I had Sean Morley make me one of his seats, night and day to the stock one. Anyway, I am wanting to lower the max to increase handling and make it look cooler. It has a 4-1 hindle exhaust, which I've read may cause clearance issues. We don't have alot of potholes or speedbumps to worry about around here and my driveway to street transition is pretty smooth. Does anyone know how far down I can go without having to worry about dragging? Also, the bike already has progressive front springs, so I will be making my own lowering kit with pvc. Does anyone know what size and schedule pipe to use? It is an 04 max. Thanks.

2" in the front.
11.5" shocks in the back.
Thats about as low as you want to go.
1" schedule 40 PVC should work for lowering the forks. Might be able to fit schedule 80. 80 has a thicker wall but the od is the same. The id is slightly smaller.

Agree with what Mike said...

My buddy had that exact drop on his Hindle Vmax. It'll be low and it won't like speed bumps.

Chris

Thanks, for the info. I have been talking to Sean about some 11.5" 430's. Anyone have thoughts on these shocks? I know they are a newer model, so didn't know if anyone has 'em yet. Also, would it be better to drop the front the same as the rear to keep the original geometry?

No issues with the front being lowered a bit more than the rear. Acutally, lots of guys report the bike handles better with the front lowered more than the rear.

2" in the front.
11.5" shocks in the back.
Thats about as low as you want to go.
1" schedule 40 PVC should work for lowering the forks. Might be able to fit schedule 80. 80 has a thicker wall but the od is the same. The id is slightly smaller.

Do you have to trim the front fender to drop it 2"?

Do you have to trim the front fender to drop it 2"?

No.
Not recommended to drop that far with stock fork spring though. Wheel may contact the radiator. Non issue with progressive or racetechs though.

Front brake lines will be a little long an may have a tendency to hit of radiator on bumps. If you're going with a 2" drop you may want to consider braided front brake lines that are shorter than stock. Sean can get them for you. Not absolutely needed but a nice addition.

^^^ What Mike said^^^

430's are good and 440's are great...

I learned (the hard way) that with suspension pieces, you get what you pay for.

Chris

Yeah, I already put on Galfer ss lines, clutch and brake that I got from Sean. I'm thinking of going to drag bars with the 1" riser so hopefully that will offset the drop on the front. Thanks for all the advice.

I have drag bars on mine with no riser and love them. I'm 6ft tall.

Mine is 2 in front and .5" in back. I like a raked bike for better turn in. With my wider radials, I find it helps a ton. Plus I'm a fat ass and need all the help I can get... :biglaugh:

Pictures show me going from 11.5 to 12.5" shocks.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0681.jpg
    IMG_0681.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC00545.jpg
    DSC00545.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 111
I have drag bars on mine with no riser and love them. I'm 6ft tall.

Mine is 2 in front and .5" in back. I like a raked bike for better turn in. With my wider radials, I find it helps a ton. Plus I'm a fat ass and need all the help I can get... :biglaugh:

Pictures show me going from 11.5 to 12.5" shocks.

Chris

Man I love that bike Chris.
:punk:

I also want to do the same drop. My wife doesn't ride with me much, but still likes to go out once in a while. Keep this to yourself, she weights about a buck 40, what are the chances the fender tags the wheel?

Stock length arm will not have any problems with whatever shock length you choose. We've used 11.5" shocks and 2" lowered front on many of our bikes. The downside is with heavy passengers or super hard riding you can hit the exhaust. Speed bumps are also problems. You'll have to modify the side stand too (which we can do for you if desired). I like the 11.5" with 1" internal drop myself. Aggressive hard curve riders will want stiffer shocks around 12-12.5" and the 1 inch drop.

Sean

I should have mentioned i'm about 180 lbs

i'm about 220 and the girl is 105. i ride 1 internal front and 11.5 rear, no problems at all, they'll bottom out before the fender hits i think.

Stock length arm will not have any problems with whatever shock length you choose. We've used 11.5" shocks and 2" lowered front on many of our bikes. The downside is with heavy passengers or super hard riding you can hit the exhaust. Speed bumps are also problems. You'll have to modify the side stand too (which we can do for you if desired). I like the 11.5" with 1" internal drop myself. Aggressive hard curve riders will want stiffer shocks around 12-12.5" and the 1 inch drop.

Sean

+1

my massive 14" inseam likes that too.

Latest posts

Back