Marks 4-2 made my A/F ratio rich?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to Morley's web sight and requested a price on his jet kit. I told him what I was working with and what I am looking for so maybe he will recomend the correct jet kit and air filter.

I am going to have a local shop do the install and tune the bike on the dyno. I was told by the 2 local shops with dyno's that it is going to cost around $750 in labor to do the work. I spent $800 for the exhaust and not sure what the jet kit is going to cost.

I just spent $2600 on the long tube headers, mid pipe and Borla stingers for my Mustang GT. That includes parts, labor and tune. I am going broke with exhaust systems and tuning on my projects.

I want a job there, my former employer (not known for working cheaply)would charge less to tune twin inboards, with a sea trial.
That's over the top. I like Mark's idea of doing it yourself. Plenty of help here.
Steve-o
Steve-o

How much does a plane ticket cost? I could almost fly in there, install the kit, and fly back home for less then the dealer wants!

Sean

if nothing else you know it'll be done right, we def have horror stories here of shops not doing seans kit right. on top of that he can make sure he brings/ships all the needles/jets you may possibly need.

hell i'm sure he'd even do the same for a stg7

Would elavation make a difference? I was thinking about a Marks 4 into 2 with the 14 inch cans and wondered how that would affect my performance at 4500 feet. My Max is a stock 85. :ummm:

At 4500 feet I'd go with Mikuni 145's or maybe 147.5"..

That's what I did per Mark Milnes recommendation when I was up In utah for an extended work trip and the thing ran like a scalded cat....

I wouldn't let any shop touch your carbs unless you know specifically who's doing the work and if he's been vetted by someone you trust..

90% of the time they'll fuck it up, they either don't know what they are doing, don't care..or Both

Man, if you have a chance to get Sean there to do the install. Go for it... Mechanics can really FU these Carbs when they don't know them.....

I spoke to Sean today, nice guy and he convinced me to do the work myself. He offered to fly in and do the work at my expence and a steak dinner which is extreamley reasonable but I am not sure if he was serious or joking.

I read some of the stickys on how to change the jets and sinc the carbs and it looks easy enough but I did not see a sticky on how to change the needles and adjust the verious screws for proper air/fuel mixture and idle.

I have a friend that use to work as a mechanic for a Yamaha dealership but I haven't spoken to him in several years as we both have moved to other towns but we are still both in Georgia. He left the dealership and is now an auto mechanic for a Napa service center. I am going to see if he still works there and if he is willing to help me out with the carbs.

I spoke to Sean today, nice guy and he convinced me to do the work myself. He offered to fly in and do the work at my expence and a steak dinner which is extreamley reasonable but I am not sure if he was serious or joking.

I read some of the stickys on how to change the jets and sinc the carbs and it looks easy enough but I did not see a sticky on how to change the needles and adjust the verious screws for proper air/fuel mixture and idle.

I have a friend that use to work as a mechanic for a Yamaha dealership but I haven't spoken to him in several years as we both have moved to other towns but we are still both in Georgia. He left the dealership and is now an auto mechanic for a Napa service center. I am going to see if he still works there and if he is willing to help me out with the carbs.

i'm 95% sure he's completely serious. take him up on it if you were going to dump 750 on it to have the shop do it. you won't be disappointed.

I don't think Sean would make the offer if he wasn't serious....

There a few others like him here at this site but we've got more than our fair share compared to the rest of the world........

Hey, he helped me install mine in a thunderstorm. He's serious:punk:

Dale #2592

Yeah, I found the same issue as Heretic with the stage 1...made the midrange too rich which resulted in it loading up under steady midrange throttle, aka riding on the highway. Then the response would be really laggy and you'd have to whack it to make the motor do anything. Dropping the stage 1 needles two clips cured that.

Only let "trusted" Vmax shops work on your carbs if you don't do it yourself. Waaaay too many horror stories here about "some random yamaha shop" doing a carb job and the bike running worse afterward. With all the help and photo tutorials here you should be fairly confident in doing it yourself.

I'd agree about the low range...unless it idles poorly or has a hesitation when taking off from a stoplight or something I wouldn't worry about it.

Sory I haven't logged on in a while. I have been working overtime because it looked as if I was going to owe the infernal revinue service 2k this year but wound up at less then $100 when I found an $1800 fed. tax payment that was missed.

Now I need to get back in touch with Sean to see what his schedule looks like and get my jet kit ordered.

Here is another idea. Get on your bike and ride it out to Sean's and have in install it for you. You will have a nice long ride and a professional install and tune on your Max.

I think a ride to his place is out of the question. That is a 930 mile ride and with 2 ruptured disc's in my lower back I would make it about 150 miles before I have to put myself in a drug induced coma to ease the pain.

Sean is the man, with his parts and advice (along with ppl here) i was able to rebuild my own carbs. just finished them today. it took 2 goes at it, the first time i had this guy...... this time i took my time and didnt cut corners im confident all will be well. i was completly carbaphobic b4, now im not scared in the least to tear into them puppies. i also know every part and its function. i belive that the understanding i gained from doing it myself will help me out durring a side of the road wtf moment. im sure most of you have children, remember the constent questions they have ive been asking sean and everyone who will listen any question that has came to mind, nobody has been anything but helpful to me. most mechanics when caught with there pants down are going to bandaid it and attempt to explain it away if they dont know how to fix it. my last bike a little gs450 died due to the hands of a certified mechanic. said the valves were sloppy thats where the ticking is comming from! they adjusted the valves and sent me on my way same noise. about 2 weeks later at about 100mph the cam chain busted. sorry for the all over the place post but i felt like adding my $.25

I located my old friend that worked as a mechanic for the local yamaha dealership that I haven't spoken to for a few years after we both moved to different areas and he left the dealership. Turns out he is now an auto mechanic and works just 8 miles from my house. He is going to install Sean's kit for me when I get it.

I just ordered the carbtune synchroniser and colortune spark plug to set the correct A/F ratio, it should be here in a week or two.

I will order Sean's kit soon. Right now my wife is spending all our extra cash on spring time yard work.

Back