More bad news about a pet

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Georges bad news with his pup. Sadly, I know the feeling. I received some terrible news today myself.

I was out of town for work purposes this weekend. The wife went along and we had to put our dogs in the kennel on Friday and were picking them up today, on Sunday.

We were back in pittsburgh today getting ready to sit down and eat before finishing the ride home when the kennel called. They said Cyrus, our 4 year old newfoundland/spaniel/something dog has bloat. That is when the dogs stomach flips. Very dangerous. The said he was being taken to the animal hospital.

We left dinner and drove to the hospital. The only thing they wanted to talk about was how much its going to cost and asking us if we can pay. They wouldn't do anything unless we paid up front or filed for some kind of credit and got approved. I was getting mad because they weren't doing anything and the longer it goes before treatment the less chance of survival there is.

They let us go back and visit with him before he went to surgery and I tell you it broke my heart. I could see from across the room he was bloated. He looked so sad.

They did the surgery and said it went as well as possible. Very little internal damage, no major bleeding, just some bruising. He will be there a few days or more recovering.

Now the really fucked up part. My wife and I left to go pick up Tabby, the american bulldog we just adopted a month ago, which is still at the kennel. We walk in and they are apologizing, saying they are so sorry, blah, blah, blah,... That will be $140 for their stay. I about flipped out. My wife said I turned red. I was trying to remain calm. I said you want me to PAY YOU after all this. I don't think so, I'm really mad right now. The last time we brought our dog here it DIED from the SAME THING!!!!!

Yes, thats right, the last time we took a dog there it DIED from bloat at the kennel. Back in summer we adopted a harlequin great dane from a local family going thru a divorce. In october we had to put him in the kennel for the weekend and he died in their care from bloat! Now, Cryus gets the same thing.

Bloat is somewhat common in large breeds. This place is supposed to be trained in large breeds. My wife talked to them specifically about this subject before we took Mike, our dane there in Oct. They say yes, Mrs. Baker, we board dogs for the local dane rescue league and a club. We are very familiar with the special needs of large breeds. We know about elevated food bowls and allowing them some time between feedings and exercising. The owner may know this stuff but apparantly the 16 year old girl they had watching over our dogs weren't trained in the special needs of large dogs and feed them and put them out immediately in the exercise area.

The girl told me she didn't have a clue he was even sick. Our other dog, Tabby, was in the kennel with Cyrus and starting barking like crazy. They went back to see why Tabby was barking and noticed Cyrus had thrown up all over the floor and his body was swollen

It was really sad to come home AGAIN without a dog and explain to the kids what happened. I am really hoping that in a few more days Cyrus will be coming home and ready for a full recovery.

i am sorry to hear that. i know from a friends dog when thw stomach flips is is very painfull and very dangerous for the dog. i hope he heals well after the surgery. i am glad the surgery went well. best wishes

I know that feeling with my Beagle (snoopy) family: Male + Female + 2 pups.
Those can be monsters and can make me pissed sometimes (specially when taking a pee on the bike), but I know I will do anything for them.

Take care of Cyrus buddy, make sure he's taking a good rest :)

Sorry to hear that Mike...
What kennel did you go to? I know how attached you can get to your pets, they are part of the family. I hope cyrus makes a full recovery.

Thanks guys, we are really hoping Cyrus makes a full recovery. The kennel we took him to is called Sandy Hill Kennel http://sandyhillkennels.com/ . There are a few members of our family that have been taking their dogs there for years and have nothing but good things to say about the facility. I wish I could say the same.

i MAN , I'M SORRY TO HEAR ALL OF THIS , SAME THING HAPPENED TO A FRIEND OF MINES DOG 2 YEARS AGO AND THEY PULLED THAT SAME SHIT ABOUT HAVING TO PAY UP FRONT , AND THEY COULDN'T GET A HOLD OF HIM FOR A WHILE AND HIS DOG ALMOST DIED ! .. I HOPE IT ALL WORKS OUT , I WILL SAY A PRAYER FOR YOUR PETS AND YOUR FAMILY !

jeeze sorry to hear that man. i hope a full recovery is in order. my black lab got really sick about 4-5 months ago and started puking as soon as he ate. my g/f being an ex vet tech new something was wrong but knew his stomach didn't flip b/c he wasn't bloated. he ended up having eaten a whole corn on the cob when he was out romping around. luckily the vet gave him 3 IV bags the next day as he was so dehydrated and that 'opened up' the passageways as it was. it was a bit painful for him but much safer than invasive surgery since they checked the size of the pieces of cob that was left. poor dog hauled ass to the door as soon as he had to go tho, it was after the 3rd IV bag in like 3-4 hours. he did 4x #1s and 3x #2s.

anyways i hope he makes the full recovery bro.

OH SNAP! WTF?

Our friends lost their dog to the flip which made me promptly go out and buy Beamer and Sasha a special bowl that is supposed to help prevent it.

It looks like a regular dog bowl but it has round cylinder shaped parts sticking out of the bottom of it. I makes the dog eat much slower. It would literally take Beamer (Golden Retriever) 20 seconds to eat his food. It now takes him 3-4 minutes with the same amount of food.

It's worth looking into.

Chris

Mike sorry to hear about this and I'll say a prayer for his speedy recovery. It's pretty damn sad when Vet clinics as well as human hospitals put the almighty dollar in front of saving a life but I've run across this too. Mike

Cyrus came home last night. They would have liked to keep him a bit longer but said he was so anxious there he couldn't rest and would not eat anything.

He's on some meds and a restricted diet. I was able to get him to finally eat something last night. He can't go outside without being on a leash. He is moving around but is very cautious and seems to be "out of it" somewhat. Hopefully that will go away once he is done with the meds. He has a long way to go but it seems promising so far.

Thanks for the support everyone.

WTF? Do these things happen in threes? My wifes dog (Sasha) has a VERY sore neck which started yesterday. She moves at half speed and DO NOT touch her neck. The wife made an appointment yesterday to bring her in today at 2pm, but she was so bad this AM, I told her to see if they could fit her in earlier. She's there NOW.

I hope it's not something bad... For two reasons... #1 because it would devastate my wife which in turn would devastate me, and then I'm looking at it from a financial point as well... Vets get expensive FAST! She's 9.5 years old.

Glad Cyrus is back home...

Chris

Man, more bad news. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

Dr. thinks it's lymphoma (cancer). We're hoping since it came on in literally 12 hours time, that it's an infection.

My wife is CRUSHED! This was her dog which she saved from the pound at two years old. We're not sure what it is yet, so we're not too worried.

My problem is, she's talking chemo and I'm thinking to myself, "is it worth it?" They say it won't cure it, but only prolong her life... What kind of life is that? :confused2:

Ugh... I feel a shit storm a comin... :bang head:

Dr. thinks it's lymphoma (cancer). We're hoping since it came on in literally 12 hours time, that it's an infection.

My wife is CRUSHED! This was her dog which she saved from the pound at two years old. We're not sure what it is yet, so we're not too worried.

My problem is, she's talking chemo and I'm thinking to myself, "is it worth it?" They say it won't cure it, but only prolong her life... What kind of life is that? :confused2:

Ugh... I feel a shit storm a comin... :bang head:
i CHRIS , I WENT THROUGH A SIMILAR THING A FEW YEARS BACK WITH THE BROWN DOG IN THE PICTURE " OSCAR THE BOXER " , HE ALSO WAS A GREAT DOG , I COME HOME FROM WORK , I'M PLAYING WITH MY SON , WIFE WENT TO DONATE BLOOD , I LET THE 2 REMAINING DOGS OUT , WE NEVER LET THEM OUT WITHOUT ONE OF US BEING OUTSIDE WITH THEM , WE ALL COME INSIDE AND WITHIN A COUPLE OF MINUTES OSCAR STARTS PANTING AND HIS SHOULDER IS SWOLLEN , I THOUGHT HE HAD GOTTEN STUNG BY A BEE OR SOMETHING , WITHIN ANOTHER HOUR HE WAS PANTING VERY HEAVY AND HIS SHOULDER WAS THE SIZE OF HALF A GRAPEFRUIT , THEN I NOTICED IT WAS FILLING UP WITH BLOOD , SO AS SOON A MY WIFE GOT HOME I RUSHED HIM TO THE ANIMAL HOSPITAL , THEY TOOK HIM IN PRETTY QUICKLY , TOOK SOME EX-RAYS , AND SAID THEY WOULD HAVE MY REGULAR VET CALL ME TOMORROW , I SAID BULLSHIT WHATS WRONG , TELL ME , THEY SAID IT LOOKS LIKE BONE CANCER , BUT THEY WANT THERE LAB TECH TO LOOK AT IT TONIGHT ( THEY ARE OPEN 24 HOURS ) , SO BY NOW HE COULDN'T EVEN WALK , SO I WAS CRYING CARRYING HIM TO MY CAR , WE WERE UP ALL NIGHT , HE WAS GASPING FOR AIR AND COULDN'T SLEEP , I CALLED THE MY VET AT 8:00 AM WHEN THEY OPENED AND THEY SAID THEY WERE EXPECTING MY CALL AND TO BRING HIM IN , 15 MINUTES LATER HE WAS DEAD , I HAD TO PUT HIM DOWN , I LAID ON THE FLOOR WITH HIM FOR AN HOUR NEXT TO HIS LIFELESS BODY TELLING HIM HOW MUCH I LOVED HIM AND I AM GOING TO MISS HIM ! .. I ALSO HAD HIM CREMATED AND HE IS ALSO IN A URN , AND NEXT TO " TYLER " IN MY OFFICE ! .. THESE DOGS ARE LIKE MY SONS ! .. THE ONE THING THAT PROLONGED THE PAIN WAS , MY REMAINING DOG " DALLAS " WALKED AROUND FOR DAYS LOOKING FOR OSCAR , AND WHEN HE COULDN'T FIND HIM , HE BECAME VERY SCARED OF ME , LIKE I KILLED " OSCAR " , EVERY TIME I WENT TO LET HIM OUT TO GO TO THE BATHROOM , HE WOULD START SHAKING AND I PRACTICALLY HAD TO FORCE HIM TO GO OUTSIDE , THIS WENT ON FOR MONTHS ! .. SLOWLY HE CAME AROUND , BUT HE HAS NEVER BEEN AS HAPPY AS HE ONCE WAS ! " OSCAR " IS THE BROWN DOG IN THE LOWER RIGHT PICTURE , THIS IS HIS URN " OSCAR BARRETT " , AND THIS IS A TOY BOX THAT I BOUGHT ( WHEN THEY WERE ALL ALIVE & HEALTHY ) , VARNISHED , ROUTER-ED THERE NAMES IN AND PAINTED , AND THEN WHEN I HAD TO PUT " TYLER " TO SLEEP , I SET THE ROUTER SHALLOWER , AND ROUTER-ED A CROSS THROUGH HIS NAME , AIR BRUSHED IT GOLD AND THEN CLEARED IT !

Attachments

• 100_1388.jpg
    100_1388.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_1391.jpg
    100_1391.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_0807.jpg
    100_0807.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_1397.jpg
    100_1397.jpg