Morley's Hayabusa Brakes for Pre '93 V-Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaTownV-Max

Reaction score
Hey guys, much more, including some pics to follow on this but I wanted to let you all know I got my parts from Sean Morley for my brakes upgrade for my 1990 'Max. Sean sent the parts out last week, when he was still waiting for payment from me for the parts. That meant that by the time I sent payment on Tuesday morning, the product I had ordered had already been winging its way to me for a few days! I received everything in good order and am very anxious to get the bike up on the stand and get these babies on. It's gonna be just a few days though (SORRY!) as I'm procuring a loaner bike stand, and also have to get some tires coming, since I want to change them out while I have the wheels off the bike.

Anyway, like I said, much more to come, and a big thanks to Sean and this community for being such a supportive place to learn about and improve my V-Max, with friends!

Well, that sounds like a Cool Upgrade...

I just put a set of Metzler's on my 94. Actually Kyle did the work. 110 up front, 170 in the rear. What a difference in handling... The 89 has a Metzler 150 rear. I think after riding 2 bikes with these tires, I'm hooked...

Seems everybody here is very trusting of others. Mark sent me my whole exhaust system. He told me to send a check when I was happy with them. Sean sent front forks exchange + cash, I had 2 sets of forks for a couple days until I sent my old ones back. God help anybody who screws up what we have here.

I sure am getting curious of the direction you're taking your VMax..:ummm:

Surely my basic mods aren't very Puzzling Dave? I'm just basically trying to dial in my version of a fully actualized muscle bike. Little present that does not move the bike forward rapidly, or stop it safely, minimal bling, without turning it into a Rat Rod.. That's about all I think. I'll likely confine performance upgrades to braking and suspension, and at some point, an exhaust. I think the bike offers more than enough power for my riding style (sprited, not squddly) so basically just refining what it's trying to offer is gonna keep me busy for a while.

+1 on the trust factor here in the community, both between awesome vendors like Sean and between regular members like you and I. (For those who don't know, SpecOps13 and I have traded a few parts between us, from Seattle to Miami!)

I'll at least take a couple pics of the brakes etc. tonight for you all, since I went and started this thread lol!

Well guys, I started working on these brakes, because I just couldn't wait. I got the rotors on yesterday but upon digging into my calipers a little more deeply I determined that while functional, they would appreciate some TLC before primetime. This morning I'm heading out to the shop to clean and rebuild these calipers, we'll see but I think the o-rings look pretty decent. If I don't like any of them this may be a bit more time while I source seals. I'm hoping though that if I need them one fo the shops around here (RMC, Hinshaws, Aurora Suzuki) may have rebuild kits for these calipers.

If anyone is around who's used these Tokico 6-pot's before, maybe you can tell me where on the caliper body to look for a part number. I've rebuilt a caliper here and there over the years and they usually all love that attention so I figure if I am going ot all this trouble to hook up amazing brakes, I may as well take the time and do an extra step or two to insure clean operation. Anyway, a couple of poorly composed teaser pics are probably in order by now..

morleysgoodies.jpg

morley's goodies shipped by Pegasus straight to my bedroom window..

clappers.jpg

Tokico Clappers next to the old and busted oem's..

VmaxNV.jpg

The community at work- VmaxNV dropped by to see the fun and to get some details about a group ride we are joining Sunday with a mixed bunch of riders and bikes. Thanks for coming by Trevor!

More pics and better, to come soon. PS- If anyone needs a mityvac, I'll be the proud owner of two of them here, as soon as the one I've been waiting on from Amazon.com to come. Couldn't wait so last night picked up one up locally. After I get these calipers clean I don't want ANYTHING stopping me from getting the bike ready to ride this Sunday.

UPDATE- Refit complete

Finally got the calipers rebuilt (thanks Sean!) and bled, and hung them on my 'Max. Here's a couple of pics although I was working alone and so didn't have the extra bandwith to take 50 pics of the "process" so you get what you get.

photo1.jpg

Freshly rebuilt calipers. Watch the solvents, nooBs! An air compressor helps a lot too..

photo2.jpg

Back on the bike! Make sure you torque everything back up to Yamaha Spec (aka Tight as fuck!)

photo4.jpg

I think these fit the bike much better than those underwhelming OEM jobs.

photo-41.jpg

I love my V-Max.

My dear friend Seatown

I think you made a mistake. You put both copper washers on the outside of the banjo (so it seems on the pics) and they need to be one on each side or you may have leaking problems. Check that...

My dear friend Seatown

I think you made a mistake. You put both copper washers on the outside of the banjo (so it seems on the pics) and they need to be one on each side or you may have leaking problems. Check that...

Gonna call you dead eye from now on:punk: Nice catch:worthy:

Great Mod...

You guys must have microscopic vision... It took me a while to find the copper washers let alone see which side they were on...:ummm:

I see where you're going. Badd Ass Bike on the way... All Business...

Great Mod...

You guys must have microscopic vision... It took me a while to find the copper washers let alone see which side they were on...:ummm:

and he saw it from Portugal !!!!!!!! :rofl_200: Seriously , good catch , we're gonna have to tighten up from here on out .

LOL... Now you guys made me laugh. I had some trouble bleeding my double caliper rear brake so im more sensible to these issues... he he...

@wildweasel- There's two on the outside and one on the inside lol! Maybe one was a "spare, but I smashed them all real good! It's the same on all my banjos actually.. Thanks boys I know you're looking out for me!

Hey sea town how much Grinding did you have to due to eliminate the rubbing of the caliper and rotor on one another. or did you not experience any of that? lol i just concluded the same setup. looks and feels sweet i am also looking at some metzlers front and rear.

Nope, no rub encountered. There was initially a fairly tight spot here and there as the wheel was turned up on the stand, but I (I believe correctly) perceived that to be due to brand new pads, and it completely disappeared after I got the pads good and bedded.

The Vmax was pressed into service as a touring bike here this past week,(full Fairing Honda900 is down for repairs) riding from Seattle to Hood River OR, to Bend and Sunriver, OR, and we are presently making our way home (wife has a nice Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE) staying again in Hood River tonight. I've had cause about three times so far o. This trip to be very grateful for my new brakes. 770miles in so far on this trip and probably will be over 1000 by the time we get home!

Guys- stop debating, considering, researching, etc- order Morley's brake setups and feel like you have a whole new V-Max.

Back