need improved braking

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmann

Reaction score
Hi, I'm finding that the brakes on my V max need to work better. Would replacing the stock pads to say EBC pads make a big difference.:ummm: Thanks.

Well I have an 07, and the best thing I did was change to the mid 90's FZR 1000, or YZF 750, 6 pot calipers.

The first thing I did before that was go to steel braided brake lines, and that made my braking worse, it was easier to lock up. Then with the 6 pot calipers, and loved it ever since.

I would recommend switching to a Hyabusa brake setup or something similar. Since you are in Apopka you are not too far from a really good Vmax mechanic and local expert. He can sell you the setup you need and install it as well if you'd like.

Reach out to Kyle at [email protected] he lives outside Tampa and knows everything there is to know about Vmax's.

Attached is a pic of the setup I got from him.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388015982604.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388015982604.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 96
I say I need better brakes because I also have a 96 ZX-11 and the brakes on it are outstanding. My V Max is a 06, bikes are about the same weight but braking is much better on the 10 year older ZX-11, odd I think.

The pics of the brakes on my 07 are in the photo album if you wanna see them? 93 and up Vmax have the same set up, and the 92 and down have the same set up.

i just put hh pads with braided lines and progressive springs from sean and it stops way better than stock. didnt cost much either

HH pads on front and braided lines to remove a little of the "spongy" are a great first step.

I tried HH on back but too noisy and grindy.

Its the only step I've ever done. I would like upgraded calipers in front based on looks alone but honestly don't find the stockers to be deficient.

Then again I probably just don't know what I'm missing.

Unless Kyle copied my 320mm adapters too he won't have the hayabusa converison for his 2006. The adapters shown on your 85 won't work on his newer forks. Here's info I send out with what we offer (I can give you pricing if desired - email me at [email protected]).

Options:
The adapters are $60 normally but that is for the adapters used on the 85-92 forks. For your 07 you have some other options:
1.) Bolt on (no adapter required) Sumitomo 6 Piston calipers + New Pads
This setup works quite well and requires nothing more to be quite effective. The calipers are sourced from mid 90's 750 and 1000R racebikes and usually in decent condition. The line location is in the same place as the stock setup so your current lines work well. Of course if you have not upgraded to braided lines these work well for any of the upgrades. I have a variety of line options available from $90-$150 depending on color and line types.

2.) Single Adapter, Single Rotor (320mm - New aftermarket), 6 Piston Caliper, Pad Set, Longer Brake Line.
This setup works so well we normally only suggest a single sided setup. This reduces reciprocating mass for even more more responsive handling. I have not tried a dual version of this setup since the single sided version worked so well. This modification does require some grinding of the inside of the caliper body to make sure it clears the rotor. Most don't have problems getting this done.

3.) R1 Calipers (price varies depending on which version we get you). They are a direct bolt on with no adapters needed though I do suggest new brake lines that are -2" shorter then your current line due to the orientation and location of the connections.

In my opinion ALL of the above options do not need a different master cylinder. The more displacement the master needs (for instance the option 1) the better "feel" you have and the less effort. BUT, they require more lever travel to reach the operating pressure. The R1's are closest to stock and provide the least improvement in stopping power. They are of course the least expensive route to go.

HH pads are a definite upgrade which has worked great for me. I have used them both on the stock 2 piston calipers and again when I upgraded my 92's calipers to hayabusa calipers in combination with SS braided lines and Sean's adapters. I used my stock masters on Sean's recommendation which have provided a progressive feel with all the stopping power needed with just 2 fingers. IMO this is the best mod for the early model (85-92) front brakes.
On the rearI run a R1/ HH pad on my 282 wavy brake rotor which has given me great and excellant feel w/o lockups.
Starting with and HH pad upgrade will get you started on the right path to finding what you need to do to have better brakes and with all the options available, as Sean noted, you can have very powerful and reliable braking.

Thanks for all your great advise ,I think I'll start with the HH pads and go from there. Thanks again.

Back