Need tips for the following projects...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeaux

Reaction score
Hey all, this is only my second post here, only because everytime I get on here (daily) I am sooooo busy reading and the questions I do have are mostly answered somewhere on here...
I did something stupid which will lead to some much needed vehicular luvin.
I was putting a padlock on my rear disc brake because I could not find a wheel lock large enough yet. I left pretty early the other day and shorted my preride inspection, which led to my forgetting to take the lock off. The lock is destroyed now, but I put a ding in my caliper bracket and bent it ever so slightly, which is massive when dealing with brakes. So I will be replacing that...
The thing is I have to wait a week or so until the new parts come in and I happen to have a 4 day weekend... These are the other things I will be doing instead of riding the Max:

Repainting Air scoops
Cleaning fuel pump (clicks while riding)
and going over electrical systems

So What I need from all of you is advice such as things to look out for, tips, and things to look out for. This is an 89 Model and has been neglected since it was purchased (The previous two owners hardly used VBoost!) It has 18000 miles. When I bought it 2 months ago the license plate was last registered in 03.
Also, does anyone know why the front end would feel as if it is not tight when I hit even a little bump in the road?
Thanks a million guys.

I left pretty early the other day and shorted my preride inspection, which led to my forgetting to take the lock off. The lock is destroyed now, but I put a ding in my caliper bracket and bent it ever so slightly, which is massive when dealing with brakes. So I will be replacing that...

Hmmm sounds like a DOH! award candidate :biglaugh:

So What I need from all of you is advice. This is an 89 Model and has been neglected since it was purchased (The previous two owners hardly used VBoost!) It has 18000 miles.
Also, does anyone know why the front end would feel as if it is not tight when I hit even a little bump in the road?
Thanks a million guys.

You could have a either a head bearing going bye-bye or may just need to re-tighten your stearing head nut.

Do the bounce test and see how loose that front end is, and pay attention if there is any odd noises or play that would indicate bearing failure.

Repainting the scoops: This is as easy as painting anything else. You can also polish, powdercoat, or chrome them (we offer all the above services and I imagine you can find customer bikes with that done).

Cleaning the pump: It's likely a displaced diaphram. There is a thread about this problem with pics of the simple repair too.

Electrical: Biggest thing is soldering up the "crimp". Look for a thread on that with pics.

Front end: Sound like it needs a steering nut adjustment. This too has a thread out there.

Much of the above threads will be "Stickies" and highlighted at the top of the given section it goes in.

Sean

There is a DOH award?!? That is awesome! 2 things I learned from that mishap:
1) Max has enough rear wheel power to snap a lock without needing any momentum.
2) Put my next lock on one of the front discs since that doesn't get power straight to it.
Thanks for the posts already, as for the scoops they will be gloss black as well as a few other pieces, I don't really dig the 3 color scheme red main, gray trim and black frame so by the time I send Max overseas with me to Germany it will be either all black or red and black. The painful part about the whole thing is now that Max is being worked on I have to ride my 800cc Intruder. Anyways, I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!!

There is a DOH award?!? That is awesome!

Yup, there are several awards on this site.

I don't really dig the 3 color scheme red main, gray trim and black frame so by the time I send Max overseas with me to Germany it will be either all black or red and black. The painful part about the whole thing is now that Max is being worked on I have to ride my 800cc Intruder. Anyways, I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!!

I didn't either, so as far as the scoops, I just scuffed em up a bit, and shot them with semi-gloss black.:clapping:

The intruder isn't such a back backup:biglaugh:

You and yours have a great Turkey day too, and welcome to the best damn Vmax forum on the net:punk:

Attachments

• vm5.jpg
    vm5.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Max.jpg
    Max.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 28
Uh yeah... Putting it on the front and forgetting usually causes driver to either fly over bars or drop the bike...

Using the flag that comes with a lock is key here. The flag usually says; "remove before flight" and is wrapped around the handle bar or somewhere you're likely to see it before "flight."

Sean (one2dmax) does good work!

Chris

Usually, I get a headache and a smaller bank account, but thanks to the wonderful group here I also get an award!! Is this a daily thing because if it is monthly, no one else will get a chance to get it for a looooong time.-For recieving the "Doh award"

Usually, I get a headache and a smaller bank account, but thanks to the wonderful group here I also get an award!! Is this a daily thing because if it is monthly, no one else will get a chance to get it for a looooong time.-For recieving the "Doh award"

Oh no... If someone does something stupid in the next 5 minutes I'll give them one too! :biglaugh:

project update: fixed fuel pump (diaphram and improper seating of the relay harness)
60% finished repaint to all black
adding tboost kit
still waiting for rear caliper bracket and caliper to come in
still waiting to do the "crimp" fix (scheduled for tomorrow)
I will take pics when I am done paint and putting it back together

When I use my caliper lock, I attach a small BRIGHT ORANGE coiled cord between it and up to my throttle grip.

That way when I go to start my bike, I can never forget the lock is on. I think I got that cord off E-bay. It cost less than $5.00.

The "crimp" fix was pretty easy, now for the TBoost, and then still waiting for the caliper bracket.

I keep a little round fridge magnet on my disk lock. Before I can fit the key into the lock, I must remove the magnet, which I put over the bike's ignition key. Little round magnet fits right over it.

When I go for a ride, I must remove the magnet from the bike's ignition key hole before I can put in my key, and then I remember to remove the lock!

This because I don't want a bright orange banner flapping on my bike.

I have shelves and shelves of Dumbass awards....

I keep a little round fridge magnet on my disk lock. Before I can fit the key into the lock, I must remove the magnet, which I put over the bike's ignition key. Little round magnet fits right over it.

When I go for a ride, I must remove the magnet from the bike's ignition key hole before I can put in my key, and then I remember to remove the lock!

This because I don't want a bright orange banner flapping on my bike.

I have shelves and shelves of Dumbass awards....

Now, that's a clever idea:clapping:

Magnet idea is great!! My current projects are all complete and my bike is running better than ever. The black and red look is very nice, and the tboost is awesome, I can tell that the electrical system is stronger and it starts better I am guessing due to the "crimp" fix. I learned sooooo much about the vmax taking it apart than I thought I could. Then next project is to fix the seat. I like doing things myself but a slightly messed up seat could be very uncomfortable so I might end up buying one. I am also going to get frame braces. Not sure what else I want done after that. Suggestions are welcome as it is winter and I have chances to ride and more chances to improve.

Attachments

• DVC00029.jpg
    DVC00029.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DVC00034.jpg
    DVC00034.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DVC00031.jpg
    DVC00031.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DVC00030.jpg
    DVC00030.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 5
  • DVC00032.jpg
    DVC00032.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 5
When you're ready to have your seat done, contact Sean - one2dmax - on this site. I'm about ready to have mine done shortly as well.

A big +1 to you for fixing whatever you can by yourself - that's the only way to learn. A VMAX is a pretty mechanic-friendly bike if you have a little confidence in your ability. Tons of threads & peeps on this site to walk you through almost any project. A fake nitrous kit is a good way to kill some time during the long cold winter...:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back