new battery~no power

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bill i hope its not a issue with that dang horn wire being pinched on the bracket lol, im sure you will find it, must be wire caught under something......

you can also get a circuit breaker with the same amp as that main fuse, so when it pops you just rest it, way better then chg fuses out, ones you get it figured out then pop a reg fuse back in its place, a little cheaper on the long run for diagnosing the issue.

good luck man

I wanna see one of those circuit breakers!

Our school buses use them. We use manual ones and auto-reset ones. They should be available at any part stores.

im thinking the ground wire not on batt end but on the frame side might need to be cleaned or not attached fully, could be bad cable itself.
i mean your bike is a little rotted isn't it bill :whistlin: you gotta keep that and the rest cleaner man :rofl_200:

was your bday, happy belated man:punk:
Yes, put a little wax on that bike and shine it up Bill
rofl_200.gif
Dirt and dust
run when they see Bill's ride .

well good news, i found the short!
I crossed the turn signal wires in the front, i put the 2 black/white wires where the 2 solid black ones connect. switched them over and it's all good now, well not all good i found a couple more issues.

Once i got the fuse figured out i started it up. It was cold and had some popping in the exhaust, and didnt run smooth. So i just let it warm up for a while and after a bit i turned the choke off. Now its running smoother since it warmed up but it wont idle under 4,000 rpms :confused2:

second issue is the headlight worked when i first started it up, and now it doesn't. changed the bulb, and still nothing. also, no lights in my speedo and guages. looked at the fuses and they are all good. everything else is up and running.

Third thing i noticed is this over flow tube, the black one next to the clear tube runs up the right side next to the gas tank and is not connected to anything. cant figure out where it goes? heres a pic of what i'm talking about, but please no cracks about how dirty my bike is :biglaugh:

Attachments

• 2012-03-02_16-18-39_679[1] (Small).JPG
    2012-03-02_16-18-39_679[1] (Small).JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 24
Good to hear progress has been made Bill. I think the tube is the vent from the old lead acid battery. Not needed with AGM batteries.
Steve

well good news about the wires crossed - that was easy!

Keep looking at the wires inside and around the headlight - it sounds like one wasn't fully connected and worked itself loose on the fast idle. Would explain the no headlight and gauges etc..

Re the idle speed, when was the last time you sync'd the carbs? May be due and make a big difference.

I believe the clear tube should be connected to the breather nipple of the battery (if you have an acid battery) and the black one should be the fuel tank breather - there's a metal tube it connects to on top of the tank.

I think:ummm: the clear one is battery and the black one goes to the rubber flange/ grommet thinggy around the gas cap? although thinking is NOT my strong suite:bang head:

+1 on carb synch. Did u start it after the rebuild?

+1 on carb synch. Did u start it after the rebuild?

No this is the first time it has been running since the rebuild. I knew that i was going to have to synch the carbs but i thought something was wrong to have it idle that high. Danny said to try adjusting the idle knob, i will give that a shot tomorrow and see what happens. i'm just glad she's running again, been a long time

No this is the first time it has been running since the rebuild. I knew that i was going to have to synch the carbs but i thought something was wrong to have it idle that high. Danny said to try adjusting the idle knob, i will give that a shot tomorrow and see what happens. i'm just glad she's running again, been a long time

I've had the bike barely run after a rebuild and before synch. Synch at the lowest it will idle then lower it and synch again?

here is some pics...... this is way cheaper and safer for the wires

Attachments

• IMG_0949.jpg
    IMG_0949.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 18
i say its just from not running it, mine does that after winter or a long time in the garage.

id say run it up clear her out and run some NOS through it and it all should be good........ again something to do with dirt hahahahah

Amazing Brian, that is the first time in ages I have seen the same item more expensive in the US than Australia!

DUDE! It's the same item, from the same seller, at the same price! :rofl_200:
You are just not used to the fact that AUS$6.50 = US$6.99. :biglaugh:

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Back