new battery~no power

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill
The black tube is the batt vent and the clear one is the coolant reservoir aft of the airbox overflow tube. The fuel vent goes to the left of the bike, runs by the fuel pump, down with the harness and clutch line and ends on the left side of the swingarm, if im not mistaken theres even a welded loop on the swing arm for it to be run through and be kept in place... I didn't check this on the bike but i recall its something like this...

Bill
The black tube is the batt vent and the clear one is the coolant reservoir aft of the airbox overflow tube. The fuel vent goes to the left of the bike, runs by the fuel pump, down with the harness and clutch line and ends on the left side of the swingarm, if im not mistaken theres even a welded loop on the swing arm for it to be run through and be kept in place... I didn't check this on the bike but i recall its something like this...

Bingo

No this is the first time it has been running since the rebuild. I knew that i was going to have to synch the carbs but i thought something was wrong to have it idle that high. Danny said to try adjusting the idle knob, i will give that a shot tomorrow and see what happens. i'm just glad she's running again, been a long time

Giving this a little more thought Bill and the throttle must be around 1/3 open to have it rev at 4K....that would have stuck out like a sore thumb during the bench sync.

I'm thinking the idle adjustment is fine, it was dismantled for cleaning but the setting wasn't changed. Maybe see a 50 - 100 rpm change but nothing drastic like you're getting.

Process of elimination leaves us with cables and linkage & throttle....are the cables in the bellcrank grooves, cable ends not cocked sideways in their pockets, nothing hanging the linkage up, anything changed with the throttle?

While checking the accelerator cables for recommended free play is an excellent idea, I still say carb sync is the main culprit.

I've seen Maxxes idle really high or not at all because someone had played with the sync screws without a sync tool or a clue what they were doing.

It's almost worth doing a 'rough visual sync' by looking at the carb flaps from above and adjusting the 3 sync screws so they're closing as together as can be seen.

I gunna hedge my bets and say both.
And I'll raise you a vacuum line not connected. :biglaugh:

While checking the accelerator cables for recommended free play is an excellent idea, I still say carb sync is the main culprit.

I've seen Maxxes idle really high or not at all because someone had played with the sync screws without a sync tool or a clue what they were doing.

It's almost worth doing a 'rough visual sync' by looking at the carb flaps from above and adjusting the 3 sync screws so they're closing as together as can be seen.

+1 to a visual check down the carbs without the engine running andVac. caps and line check.
Idle adjustment backed off. cables dissconnected. If it looks like the throttle plates are about closed,crank the idle adjustment up a little, start it up with the filters back on. If it now idles, or you can adjust the idle screw to get 1000-1100, cables are the problem. Like has been said, sync is essential and should be eliminated as a problem. There still could be something else wrong, but you'll have eliminated the cable, sync, idle setting, and can move on to more difficult stuff.
Steve

Giving this a little more thought Bill and the throttle must be around 1/3 open to have it rev at 4K....that would have stuck out like a sore thumb during the bench sync.

I'm thinking the idle adjustment is fine, it was dismantled for cleaning but the setting wasn't changed. Maybe see a 50 - 100 rpm change but nothing drastic like you're getting.

Process of elimination leaves us with cables and linkage & throttle....are the cables in the bellcrank grooves, cable ends not cocked sideways in their pockets, nothing hanging the linkage up, anything changed with the throttle?

are we back to checking the snap shut with "authority" danny? i like the idea narrow it down, take the cables apart at the block and run it, not like ive ever had idle issues eh?

i have to reread the issue but last time i found one of my slides was not moving correctly when at idle.(looking down at the carbs) then found i had pinched the diaphragm in the cover and that was causing some idle issues, once corrected all was better. might be something there to look at but id say if all 4 are acting the same when idle or reving(they all move at the same rate) then thats not a issue there.

are we back to checking the snap shut with "authority" danny? i like the idea narrow it down, take the cables apart at the block and run it, not like ive ever had idle issues eh?

i have to reread the issue but last time i found one of my slides was not moving correctly when at idle.(looking down at the carbs) then found i had pinched the diaphragm in the cover and that was causing some idle issues, once corrected all was better. might be something there to look at but id say if all 4 are acting the same when idle or reving(they all move at the same rate) then thats not a issue there.

Haha....I used that exact same terminology with Bill 'with authority'! And, yeah, they were closing with a great deal of authority! :biglaugh:

looked things over again, throttle has pretty good authority Dan. started it up and it ran rough while its cold, rpm's up for a while then down, popping in the exhaust. However when i let it run for a while and warm up good it smoothed out, i adjusted the idle and got it down to about 1100 rpms. once it warmed up and i adjusted the idle it seems to run pretty good. So i'm hoping a good synch will straighten everything else out. Do you think it being out of synch would make it run like shit while its cold? never had that problem before

Also noticed my lights and guages are working again :confused2:

Bill, every time I had my carbs totally apart, it ran like total crap until sync'd. Then Smoooooth!

looked things over again, throttle has pretty good authority Dan. started it up and it ran rough while its cold, rpm's up for a while then down, popping in the exhaust. However when i let it run for a while and warm up good it smoothed out, i adjusted the idle and got it down to about 1100 rpms. once it warmed up and i adjusted the idle it seems to run pretty good. So i'm hoping a good synch will straighten everything else out. Do you think it being out of synch would make it run like shit while its cold? never had that problem before

Possible starter button sticking? Mine was sticking at Thunder and if you remember I had my headlight shell torn apart checking wiring and THEN noticed the starter button sticking!! I couldn't hide my stupidity as I was sitting in line for the tech service for a carb sync. I dutifully got out of the line and parked Redbone.:bang head:

Yeah, I think it could Bill....bench sync is really only good enough to get it running so it can be sync'd properly.

We'll know pretty soon cause the carbtune went in the mail to you this afternoon, you should have it by the weekend.

Bill, looks like Danny already shipped his synch tool out but, if you ever need one in the future shoot me a txt. If you want to jump on it before the weekend, let me know. I'm sure I could meet you somewhere on your side of the Tarentum bridge in the evening. I've still got a lot of work to do so I won't be needing it anytime soon.

Bill,
I am surprised that mine is running as well as it is without syncing the carbs. You got to expect some hassle. (No, I don't have the tool.)

I think what you want to know, is that after any work like you have described, you need to run the engine up to warm, adjust the idle, ride it carefully for a couple of miles, come back, rev it half a dozen times, shut it down, check it out, start it up, rev it so the neighbours start wondering, adjust your idle again, take it for another spin, show somebody, come home, listen to it idle for a minute, adjust it again, and then maybe it's good, after a quick wipe down and a beer.

That's about how I do it.... :biglaugh:

Possible starter button sticking? Mine was sticking at Thunder and if you remember I had my headlight shell torn apart checking wiring and THEN noticed the starter button sticking!! I couldn't hide my stupidity as I was sitting in line for the tech service for a carb sync. I dutifully got out of the line and parked Redbone.:bang head:

Ya i remember that Brian, thats probably what was going on with mine. why else would they just start working again all of the sudden?

Yeah, I think it could Bill....bench sync is really only good enough to get it running so it can be sync'd properly.

We'll know pretty soon cause the carbtune went in the mail to you this afternoon, you should have it by the weekend.

Thankyou Dan! I will probably be calling you this weekend :biglaugh:

Bill, looks like Danny already shipped his synch tool out but, if you ever need one in the future shoot me a txt. If you want to jump on it before the weekend, let me know. I'm sure I could meet you somewhere on your side of the Tarentum bridge in the evening. I've still got a lot of work to do so I won't be needing it anytime soon.

Thanks Mike, Danny already sent his out but i will remember that in the future...

Latest posts

Back