New Harley Screwjob..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, My Harley has been the most reliable bike in my garage. The FZ8 may be as good, time will tell. The Vmax's always need to be fiddled with to maintain perfection but I Love Em Anyway....

The bike is not the problem. The attitude of many of the dealers and owners is!

I am a life member of HOG and owned a 1991 Sturgis for 8.5 years with no problems other than a recall on the new Mikuni carb designed for the bike. It was the first Dyna series Harley. I sold the bike in 1998 because I was tired of the whole experience and attitude of the new Rubbie generation of riders. They were more concerned with image than riding. The arrogance of most of the dealers during that time of plenty always pissed me off. Some of them still have the attitude even though the bubble has burst on Harley mania.

The dealers wouldn't be so much of a problem if the owners didn't have to go there constantly.

So, the problem with the bike makes the problem with the dealer worse.

The bit about "leaks are not warrantied" sounds like a line of BS from a lazy service manager who would much rather pencil bikes in for $120/hr labor work to bolt on Officially Licensed accessories to some guy's "custom".

The only dealer I actually liked was a tiny little Yamaha shop out in the middle of nowhere, Brownell's...the shop is big enough to hold maybe 3 quads, 3 sleds, and a little display of generators. Only place where the guy at the counter actually seems to know what he's doing and wasn't constantly trying to up-sell you crap you didn't ask for or need.

The local shop years ago tried to tell me that when you replace your rear tire you should replace the rear sprocket as well, which they would happily sell me for only $80. At the time I still had my first bike, a GS450, the automatic version of which was shaft drive. I told them this and thus did not need their stupid up-sell. "No, it's chain driven, if you look at the rear wheel you'll see a sprocket and chain, that's what drives it", in the most condescending tone of voice, as if I didn't get the concept of chain drive.

They also tried to sell me a can of chain lube when I was ordering parts for my Vmax. It was on "special" for only $14.99. I asked what I was supposed to do with it, and got a rant about how important it is to clean and adjust your chain every 500 miles. I asked again...so what do I do with it? My bike is shaft drive. He kind of got a deer-in-the-headlights look for a second and then just gave me my total.

On a side note, the best chain lube is DuPont Teflon "multi use lubricant". You can get a big can of it at Lowe's for like $4. As opposed to a tiny 4oz can at the dealer for $15. It's clean, easy to use, doesn't make a mess all over your wheel, and cheap. It even works well for my dirtbike, really seems to repel dirt...rest of the bike was filthy but the chain was still more or less clean.

The dealers wouldn't be so much of a problem if the owners didn't have to go there constantly.

So, the problem with the bike makes the problem with the dealer worse.

The bit about "leaks are not warrantied" sounds like a line of BS from a lazy service manager who would much rather pencil bikes in for $120/hr labor work to bolt on Officially Licensed accessories to some guy's "custom".

The only dealer I actually liked was a tiny little Yamaha shop out in the middle of nowhere, Brownell's...the shop is big enough to hold maybe 3 quads, 3 sleds, and a little display of generators. Only place where the guy at the counter actually seems to know what he's doing and wasn't constantly trying to up-sell you crap you didn't ask for or need.

The local shop years ago tried to tell me that when you replace your rear tire you should replace the rear sprocket as well, which they would happily sell me for only $80. At the time I still had my first bike, a GS450, the automatic version of which was shaft drive. I told them this and thus did not need their stupid up-sell. "No, it's chain driven, if you look at the rear wheel you'll see a sprocket and chain, that's what drives it", in the most condescending tone of voice, as if I didn't get the concept of chain drive.

They also tried to sell me a can of chain lube when I was ordering parts for my Vmax. It was on "special" for only $14.99. I asked what I was supposed to do with it, and got a rant about how important it is to clean and adjust your chain every 500 miles. I asked again...so what do I do with it? My bike is shaft drive. He kind of got a deer-in-the-headlights look for a second and then just gave me my total.

On a side note, the best chain lube is DuPont Teflon "multi use lubricant". You can get a big can of it at Lowe's for like $4. As opposed to a tiny 4oz can at the dealer for $15. It's clean, easy to use, doesn't make a mess all over your wheel, and cheap. It even works well for my dirtbike, really seems to repel dirt...rest of the bike was filthy but the chain was still more or less clean.

i'll keep that chain lube in mind.

local yamaha/triumph place is hit or miss. i needed a switch off of an FJR brake master because i use fjr masters and the kid at the counter couldn't figure out why there were two listed on the fiche. then had the balls to say if he ordered the wrong part i'd have to pay 15% restocking. i asked if some years they changed the brake/clutch from left/right and he didn't know... it was scary.

my buddy Thanks for all the comments/advice.

the dealer is covring ALL of the problems i mentioned in the beginning...includeing the newly discovered "pouring leak" fork seal.

thanks guys

T$

my buddy Thanks for all the comments/advice.

the dealer is covring ALL of the problems i mentioned in the beginning...includeing the newly discovered "pouring leak" fork seal.

thanks guys

T$

Sure thing...and dont forget , that this is THE place to come when you need a " Harley Bitch-Fest "...:biglaugh:

The local Yamaha dealership I go to won't service my bike because it's "too old". So I get my parts from Sean, do the work myself and only go there to buy oil once/year. Sean provides so much help that I'd rather give him the money for the parts.

Latest posts

Back