Newb with fork lowering questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you guys are saying that the cheap way out is to swap only the springs, remove the air valve, fill the hole, and lower it an inch in the trees, correct?

I thought I would let you guys that this is the way that I'm going. I took the bike in today for some carb work and discussed this with the mechanic. He said that he would charge one hour labor to do this, so I said go for it.

The downside is that they are a week and a half to two week behind so it'll be a little while before I can report on how it looks and handles.

KY Bob...

What part of KY are you in, if you are at all??? I'm in Madison county, Winchester born and bred.

I have a 1985 also, owned since 1986 that I got from Charlie Brown before he passed.

BTW: I can powder coat that stand for you no problem. I have mirror black, mirror purple, and almost chrome if you are interested. Many on here can vouch for me being a stand up dude :biglaugh:

Neil

KY Bob...

What part of KY are you in, if you are at all??? I'm in Madison county, Winchester born and bred.

I have a 1985 also, owned since 1986 that I got from Charlie Brown before he passed.

BTW: I can powder coat that stand for you no problem. I have mirror black, mirror purple, and almost chrome if you are interested. Many on here can vouch for me being a stand up dude :biglaugh:

Neil

Hey Neil, I'm in a small town that you've never heard of, Dawson Springs (Hopkins Co.). It's about 60 miles east of Paducah on the West KY parkway.

I really wanted it powder coated but I needed to swap it out pretty quick so that I could ship mine back to Sean. I'll definitely remember you if I need anything else done. You don't by any chance do chrome plating do you? I want to strip a few parts off of the bike this winter and have them plated.

Many on here can vouch for me being a stand up dude :biglaugh:

Neil

Hey Neil, I'm in a small town that you've never heard of, Dawson Springs (Hopkins Co.). It's about 60 miles east of Paducah on the West KY parkway.

I really wanted it powder coated but I needed to swap it out pretty quick so that I could ship mine back to Sean. I'll definitely remember you if I need anything else done. You don't by any chance do chrome plating do you? I want to strip a few parts off of the bike this winter and have them plated.

We've never heard of Neil...

I think he's spamming...:whistlin::whistlin:

:biglaugh:

Just thought that I would let you guys know that I got it back with the Progressive springs in and it lowered an inch in the trees. It does handle noticeably better and even though the front is stiffer than before, it I think it rides better.

There's no doubt that I had to have the cut down side stand. There's no way it would have set up with the factory stand.

Thanks for the good advise.:punk:

Thought that I would give another update.

Ever since I got it back from the shop lowered in the front, I've been surprised at how low it looks and that it doesn't have a lot of lean when on the side stand (even with the cut-down stand that Sean made for me). I saw in another thread what the stock specs are for the axle to lower tree, so I decided to measure mine. Mine measured 2 5/8" less than that.

I stared wondering why, so I opened the lowering kit box and discovered that the entire kit had been installed, not just the springs as discussed. There must have been a breakdown in communication between the service manager and the mechanic that installed it. The plan was to just install the springs and drop it an inch in the trees and that IS what they charged me for. Apparently the mechanic thought that he was to install the entire lowering kit PLUS drop it an inch in the trees, so that's what he did. They didn't even charge me for new fork oil which they had to use since the forks were completely disassembled.

It does look mean.:eusa_dance: Anyone see a problem with having one lowered that much?

Bob, make sure your front fender doesn't hit the radiator when the forks are compressed.

How does it handle?

Thought that I would give another update.

Ever since I got it back from the shop lowered in the front, I've been surprised at how low it looks and that it doesn't have a lot of lean when on the side stand (even with the cut-down stand that Sean made for me). I saw in another thread what the stock specs are for the axle to lower tree, so I decided to measure mine. Mine measured 2 5/8" less than that.

I stared wondering why, so I opened the lowering kit box and discovered that the entire kit had been installed, not just the springs as discussed. There must have been a breakdown in communication between the service manager and the mechanic that installed it. The plan was to just install the springs and drop it an inch in the trees and that IS what they charged me for. Apparently the mechanic thought that he was to install the entire lowering kit PLUS drop it an inch in the trees, so that's what he did. They didn't even charge me for new fork oil which they had to use since the forks were completely disassembled.

It does look mean.:eusa_dance: Anyone see a problem with having one lowered that much?

Mines dropped 2 too with Race-Tech internals and I have never had an issue with hitting. Just keep an eye on it.

My sits almost straight up too.

Bob, make sure your front fender doesn't hit the radiator when the forks are compressed.

How does it handle?

It hasn't hit yet although the metal screen in front of the radiator looks to be bent in a little. I would assume that it came down from a wheelie too hard at some point in it's past. I know the previous owner like riding it on one wheel. I'm just guessing because there isn't any paint damage on the fender.

It handles a ton better than it did before.

Last edited:
Back