Oil Filter Wrench Socket?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
Put it on by hand tight and take it off by hand - with a leather glove on.

Or the K&N filter as a 17mm bolt head design attached to it.

That adaptor will work good too

Mike

Gasket makes contact, one full turn after. Done, thats your torque wrench.
Remove by hand unless you are one of them that complains about clutch lever to hard to pull

I use K & N's which are available through Autozone for about the same $ as Yamaha filters.
As for torque-spread a little new oil on the filter o ring, wipe clean the mating surface on the engine and use Lankee's 'one full turn after contact,' you won't have any trouble.

I use K & N's which are available through Autozone for about the same $ as Yamaha filters.
As for torque-spread a little new oil on the filter o ring, wipe clean the mating surface on the engine and use Lankee's 'one full turn after contact,' you won't have any trouble.

Sounds good. I won't waste my money then.

Do you guys use a yama filter or K&N? any noticeable differences?

You can usually buy those filter clamps from the local parts stores.

Sean

Danny.. Every 1k? really? damn... i thought i did mine alot at like every 1800...

sean, thanks for the advice.... i may try a k & n next time and that way i won't need it if i like the k & n...

any pluses in going to the k & n?

Danny.. Every 1k? really? damn... i thought i did mine alot at like every 1800...

sean, thanks for the advice.... i may try a k & n next time and that way i won't need it if i like the k & n...

any pluses in going to the k & n?

Better filter media and stronger can and base. Oh and the nut. I believe it's made by Champion labs like the Mobil and STP filters are.

STP makes a Vmax specific filter and believe it or not... Their filters are pretty good. I've used a Mobil M-110 since new with no issues but had heard that the anti drain back valve may be set at to high a pressure for motorcycles. Not sure but I may go back to STP or stock.

According to the Vmax manual oil change is due every 8000 miles or 12 months.

Why would you change it every 1000 unless you were racing or driving in seriously adverse conditions such as very dusty?

OK Here's what's in my Manual.
I don't have a scanner so I had to take a picture of it with my cell phone.

Attachments

• VMaxManual.jpg
    VMaxManual.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 6
  • maintimage.jpg
    maintimage.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 21
more confusion to come!!! :ummm:

The first pic I posted was from my 'Owner's Manual'.

Here are pics from the 'Service Manual' I have in my computer - the odometer readings aren't very clear (bad scan?) but seem to concur with the Owner's Manual.

I'll have to check my hard copy when I get home next week.. :confused2:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 12
LOL!

Well the question about weather we were reading the same manual is at least solved. LOL!

I'm guessing Yammy kept changing their minds over the years.

Well despite it all, I change my Oil every 3000 miles weather it needs it or not.
I've seen a few motors at Boxenstopp with the mains spun in them. So I consider it a good precautionary measure.

Makes sense. I guess since I'm mostly doing constant highway riding in fine weather my oil should be good for 3-4000 miles at least... I do go to 7-9000 RPM on occasion for fun, but most of the time I'm around 4-5000 RPM, so it's not like I'm racing lol!

Anyone else has a manual with a different reading for oil changes? :biglaugh:

According to the Vmax manual oil change is due every 8000 miles or 12 months.

Why would you change it every 1000 unless you were racing or driving in seriously adverse conditions such as very dusty?

I live on a dirt road which gets pretty dusty. I hate it but there's no chance of the town paving it so every ride begins and ends on the dirt!

Plus I'm a little anal about keeping clean oil in my bike :biglaugh:

Back