Opinions on this 92

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do feel a little guilty, but I'm still in contact with the seller and will probably throw him a few bones, just to soothe my guilty conscious. Probably the best deal I've ever gotten, and the best part was dragging my wife along with me for the trip, so she knows EXACTLY how much I have invested, and I can see the dollar signs dancing above her head. Too bad I'm keeping this one........LOL. :biglaugh:

Nice looking bike, that's a keeper. Good deal.

Im sorry bro.. (yeAh I said bro).. I dont mean to give you guilt. . Was an awesome deal tho..
Mainly just jealous cuz it makes the rest of us feel that we overpaid. :)

No harm no foul..but I do notice that your noticing the awesome deal ypu got.

Congrats. Really. .I wish it waas me.

All good.

:)

I just found the previous owners name on the UFO website under the 120+ horsepower thread, according to the site, it was:

Joel Tomaeno – 131.8 hp USA

I have no doubt this is pretty accurate, my a$$ dyno tells me that it is! I know it wouldn't hang with my B-King, but it's safe to say it's probably the 2nd fastest bike I've ever had! Can't wait to take it to the drags, that's really what this bike was built for. The ZL forum guys have a get together every year at VMD in Ohio, and usually have a trip over to the Norwalk dragstrip for a few runs, if my shoulder is still in one piece in July, I'd like to kick a few ZL butts with it! LOL!

Also, looking for opinions, I have a nice set of stock black 98 wheels with good rubber, thinking about putting them on the Blue Goose. Yea or Nay?

I just found the previous owners name on the UFO website under the 120+ horsepower thread, according to the site, it was:

Joel Tomaeno – 131.8 hp USA

I have no doubt this is pretty accurate, my a$$ dyno tells me that it is! I know it wouldn't hang with my B-King, but it's safe to say it's probably the 2nd fastest bike I've ever had! Can't wait to take it to the drags, that's really what this bike was built for. The ZL forum guys have a get together every year at VMD in Ohio, and usually have a trip over to the Norwalk dragstrip for a few runs, if my shoulder is still in one piece in July, I'd like to kick a few ZL butts with it! LOL!

Also, looking for opinions, I have a nice set of stock black 98 wheels with good rubber, thinking about putting them on the Blue Goose. Yea or Nay?

That sounds right cause mine after the Vgas carbs and Kerker was installed dyno'd 131hp as well. Yea, those carbs really give you that hold the f%#k on kinda feeling.

OK, you shamed me into it. $1250 and $150 in gas, so $1400 total. But I don't know if I should count the 300 dollar hotel room and 500 bucks my wife spent "sight seeing" and shopping in downtown Chicago? Oh well, if you if added all that up, I'd still be way ahead, and my wife is very happy I got it running tonight, and she had a nice "mothers day weekend" on the town. Happy wife, happy life, and I get to keep my other half dozen bikes too.......... :)

OK that's it I officially HATE you !!!! Man what a score !!!! That bike is SWEET !! and the price WOW !!! your a lucky man rock on !!

You know, I never really noticed the rear fender was missing, I guess I was too busy fawning over the rest of it. Would be hard pressed to match that paint, I was thinking an Exactrep rear tail section might be in order, I had one on a 2000 model I left down in Texas with a good buddy of mine a few years ago, this was the last bike I sold, right before I bought my B-King. I know these tail sections are pricey though, but I love the look and wouldn't have to worry about matching the paint........decisions, decisions. Put some new farkles on it today, new reservoir covers, flushed the hydraulics, new scoop inserts, fixed the 2 loose velocity stacks I had, new mirrors. She's coming along nicely. Here's a good tail shot of the rear end I'm thinking about:

Started digging around on the Extracep website, good grief their stuff is pricey. I only see a couple of options, I like this first one, except it would need painted, and the chances of matching that blue with ghost flames is slim and none.

http://exactrep.com/cgi-bin/sh00000...ights.--New-Price-----Exactrep-32.html#SID=15

Then there's this one, which appears to be just over a grand, and of course, it would need painted too:

http://exactrep.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=tail&PN=-BRM-----Race-Tail--111.html#SID=15

I don't know if I dig this "flat tracker" style one:

http://exactrep.com/cgi-bin/sh00000...eat-Conversion---Exactrep-2003-87.html#SID=15

This looks like the cheapest option:

http://exactrep.com/cgi-bin/sh00000...-round-lights.---Exactrep-1994-4a.html#SID=15

I may just wait and see if anything pops up on the forum or on eBay. Worst case scenario, I may contact the seller and ask him who painted it, and whether or not they would like to paint a stock rear fender, and put it back on! LOL!

I'd go with a matching stock fender if the painter can do that for you.
The first 2 you linked to from Exactrep are sweet but like you said they are a bit pricey.
The Exactrep shorty fender is a decent looking option too.
But like dannymax said it doesn't do much to stop the rooster tails from soaking you if you ever get caught in the rain or hit a wet road.

Well, unfortunately, the seller said the bike came painted in that color, so have no idea how I would get that color "matched", although I'm sure it would be possible. I could probably take the side cover off, take it up to the Sherwin Williams paint store and have them do a color match on it, I've done this before, but it would be a roll of the dice. Like I said, I may just watch the market and see if a "used" tail section pops up somewhere, not in any hurry really, and with the open velocity stacks, I'm not planning on riding ANYWHERE NEAR a rain cloud in the forseeable future! :punk:

Yeah it definitely can be hit or miss when color matching.
I'm sure you'll figure something out eventually.
And I don't blame you for avoiding those rain clouds, I hate riding in the rain and I don't even have flat slides.

I think I have the 2nd version on hand if you were still looking. We've made the right undersupport (not included normally) to make the seat actually usable and not worry about cracking the fiberglass. We've even got an inner fender made that also isn't included. It all needs "finished" before painting but it's all new and all there.

I have the UFO ram air scoops and love them. They keep your knees from getting sucked into the stacks and they work. They do provide some filtration as well. The fit and finish of the fiberglass filters was pretty rough so I decided to modify them and cut all the excess fiber glass off except what was holding the foam filters then just hot glued them in. If I need to replace the foam I can just glue in new pieces. I like the first "and most expensive" Extrap tail and was considering this myself but after I had Sean paint the stock one and then I did the CBR tail light mod I'm perfectly happy with the way it looks now. Your bike looks great and what a deal.
picture.php
picture.php

Rode her today for about 15 miles, got home and the battery was DEAD! Charged her up a bit, then tested it, was about 12.8 at idle and dropped down to ZERO when I revved it! OOOPS! I did some checking on the wiring and everything looked OK, then I remembered I had a new aftermarket rectifier on the shelf, and since those are easy to get to, I decided to replace that first. BINGO! After replacing, it's 13.4 at idle and 14.2 when revved! PERFECT! Nice when something is EASY to fix. Rode it for about another 20 miles after that and it's running GREAT, idling alot better now too. I think once I get this first tank burned off and the Seafoam out of there, she'll run even better. Also put on my new leather tank cover today, new mirrors, she's coming along nicely!

OK, so I've been able to put about 75 miles on this beast, got all the Seafoam out and filled with high test. It's running GREAT and even idling now, but here's my problem. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to start when cold! After it's warmed up, it starts right up, but in the morning, it will NOT fire up without a shot of carb cleaner into the velocity stacks! I know these carb setups don't have a choke, but there has got to be a better solution for this. I mean, seriously, I can't ride it around and carry a can of ether in my tank bag, right!!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :punk:

OK, so I've been able to put about 75 miles on this beast, got all the Seafoam out and filled with high test. It's running GREAT and even idling now, but here's my problem. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to start when cold! After it's warmed up, it starts right up, but in the morning, it will NOT fire up without a shot of carb cleaner into the velocity stacks! I know these carb setups don't have a choke, but there has got to be a better solution for this. I mean, seriously, I can't ride it around and carry a can of ether in my tank bag, right!!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :punk:

I found out (just after I got my Max last year) that the choke control rod had come out of its slot on the LH front carb. This left just two carbs operating on the choke but the bike still starts perfectly in the coldest weather. Could you maybe put your hand across just two of the velocity stacks and see if that would work ? Watch you don't get sucked in though lol.
Lovely bike btw :)

Chris.

Actually, I tried covering them up and it didn't seem to help much. Maybe I just need to fashion some kind of "permanent" filters on it? All I've seen are the bonnets that UFO sells, those aren't going to work, they are just screens to keep junk out. Anybody make a functional air filter setup for these things??

Back