Ordered a SST Shift Light today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allisontech

Reaction score
I always like being a little different so I ordered a SST shift light today for my 2004 Max. The lights are made in the USA,and supposedly have a lifetime warranty. They look allot like a Raptor light but use a digital readout on the side instead of pin switches. They come in black and silver versions and you can choose between yellow,red,or blue LED's.The LED display acts as a tach showing current RPM. They also recall highest RPM point since cleared. I should have it in a few days and hope to have it mounted by next weekend. I will post pictures of the install and let you know how I like it.
Price is 99.95 from Speed Hut shipped.

Attachments

• SST_B_top.jpg
    SST_B_top.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 67
Nice looking S/L! It looks like it's well made too! Looking forward to hear how you like it.
While the Harlan is cheaper it doesn't have the sophistication nor the engineering that the SST has. The Harlan is made by an performance enthusiast here in Michigan and far as I can tell he is a one man operation.

Looks great. Is it weatherproof?

I don't think it will be weather proof,but the led display should seal up better than the gap for the dip switches on some of the others, I am going to mount it behind the fly screen on the side of the speedo, so it should be shielded some.
"I will post some really close up pictures once I do the install".

Bill

I forgot to mention, you can choose between 5 settings for the intensity of the light. And a wire is included to switch between day "Bright" and night "Dim" intensity. I really need a shift light, on more than a few occasions I have looked down at the cluster and saw the tach at 9200 or so RPM and thought "Why the hell am I not looking where I'm going at over 9000 RPM!".

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Bill

Got the shift light today, took about an hour to install it. All I can say is I am very impressed,this thing is high tech for sure. I will post some pics and a video soon.

Bill :biglaugh:

Here are some pic's of the install, super simple hook up all to the back of the stock tach cluster. I'm real happy with the shift light,rode today and I can see it fine in the daylight. I can see the highest RPM recall is going to come in handy I hit 10 grand today and didn't know it, "Damn tire spin!" I will try to post a link of a video I took but I'm having trouble uploading it to You Tube. Only tricky part at all was removing the metal bracket from the mount, I supported it well and used a screwdriver to push it loose from the mount that the light fits into,then used double sided 3M tape to secure it to the speedometer head. "I love it when I don't need to drill holes" Over all I'm real happy with the purchase!

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:
Bill

Attachments

• light2.jpg (Small).jpg
    light2.jpg (Small).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 61
  • light3.jpg (Small).jpg
    light3.jpg (Small).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 60
  • light4.jpg (Small).jpg
    light4.jpg (Small).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 61
  • light5.jpg (Small).jpg
    light5.jpg (Small).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 61
  • light6.jpg (Small).jpg
    light6.jpg (Small).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 61
  • light7.jpg (Medium).jpg
    light7.jpg (Medium).jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 64
  • light12.jpg (Medium).jpg
    light12.jpg (Medium).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 60
Great vid... looks great, works like its supposed to, and looks like an easy install. Definitely something to put on the mod list. thanks for sharing...

peace,
evan...

is it a multi-stage or do u have it set low for the purpose of the vid?

Out of the box it was set for 4 grand,so i left it as is to show the light coming on. "It can be set any where between 100 to 20,000 RPM. The display works just like a tach in a car, " So 8500 reads as 8.50", I did not hook up the wire used to dim the light at night yet,when it gets 12 volts the light will toggle automatically to a dimmer flash for night". The only thing I found is instead of 5 settings there are actually only 4. Setting 0 is off, and 1 through 3 are dim to bright.

Bill:biglaugh:

Pretty much, all of the connections can be made at the stock tach cluster,"Small ring terminals will be needed" I have posted pictures of the install in the electrical section. Took less than an hour to install start to finish, including setting up all of the parameters.

Bill

Latest posts

Back