paralever swingarm possible?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x-iled

Reaction score
Hi all, my first post here. i'm from singapore and crazy about modding. I have this idea of fitting a BMW swingarm coupled with the wheels to make my max a single sided swingarm. i know the BMW swingarms are right sided while the vmax;s driveshaft is on the left side, i will be taking care of that issue during the fabrication process. I have some plans in my head for the conversion and it seems workable.

My concern is i havent seen anyone do this modification yet. Is the paralever technology unsuitable for the power of vmax? anyone here knows anyone else that did this or attempted this? haha.. i wanna get more research before i actually do it.. ya know.. jus dun wanna see my rear wheel rolling infront of me while i ride...lol

That sounds like a pretty neat idea. You might want to check gear ratios of the rear diffs before you get too far.... I know there are some posts on this forum that has the VMax and Venture ratos, but I think you'll be on your own for the BMW number. If you have some pictures of the BMW swingarm post them and you might get a few more people to discuss your options.

Ohh... Been to Singapore! B-E-A-utiful country you have there! :worthy:
As for the BMW rear ends... I have heard NOTHING but bad things about these shelling out with very few miles on them so be VERY careful when you choose one!

Sounds like a cool idea though! :eusa_dance:

oh i will be using the vmax final drive. will fabricate a bracket to convert the whole unit to fit the BMW swingarms. thanks for the compliments on the country though.. lol.. so its a worthy try? i read up on the benefits of the paralever technology... seems to be more beneficial than the normal way a shaft drive is mounted.. its jus a nagging feeling that too many moving parts increases the chances of failure. haha.. ok.. let me try this out.. will update this site when i get to doing it.. i have the swingarm and the wheel sitting in my room now.. need to start designing.. hahaha

I have seen single sided swingarms used but the drive stays on the same side as stock. I can't recall but I want to say Triumph has one coming off the same side that is chain driven but may be easier to fab then trying to make a jackshaft.

Sean

I believe there are several European sources for one-sided swingarms for the Max. It is amazing what is available overseas. The Max is much more of a cult bike there. The French especially seem to love the Max.

I believe there are several European sources for one-sided swingarms for the Max. It is amazing what is available overseas. The Max is much more of a cult bike there. The French especially seem to love the Max.

yeah.. but they cost more than my bike when i convert the currency to mine.. lol.. i dun wanna spend that kind of money. but having said so, even those companies out there dont design a paralever swingarm for the vmax.. thats what got me worrying in the first place, that if the torque of the wheel will actually sheer the bolts or moving components in the paralever set up.

well, guess i'll never know if i dont try. lol..

Isn't the 2nd Gen max set up with a paralever swingarm? If so then your project is doable.

Isn't the 2nd Gen max set up with a paralever swingarm? If so then your project is doable.

really?? i didn't know that. i had only glanced at the swingarm in pictures. lol lets jus hope this project is successful..

The BMW is a right hand drive swingarm, would be almost impossible to do......

For the record, the BMW paralever to my knowledge is incredibly reliable, SERIOUS touring guys, as in 100's of miles from nowhere with nothing saving them from being coyote crap by the end of the week except the reliability of thier bike to get them out, swear by the BMW's

Otec makes a kit to do a paralever, but it's well over $10,000 usd....

To do this you pretty well have to shitcan your gas tank to make room for the suspension workings to make the swingarm operate...

Unless you did a paralever with a shock on one side only and located it out back like a twin shock setup but only one instead of the normal way under the seat by the pivot point.....

You'll end up with a show bike only if you DO pull it off....

The BMW is a right hand drive swingarm, would be almost impossible to do......

For the record, the BMW paralever to my knowledge is incredibly reliable, SERIOUS touring guys, as in 100's of miles from nowhere with nothing saving them from being coyote crap by the end of the week except the reliability of thier bike to get them out, swear by the BMW's

Otec makes a kit to do a paralever, but it's well over $10,000 usd....

To do this you pretty well have to shitcan your gas tank to make room for the suspension workings to make the swingarm operate...

Unless you did a paralever with a shock on one side only and located it out back like a twin shock setup but only one instead of the normal way under the seat by the pivot point.....

You'll end up with a show bike only if you DO pull it off....

i'm thinking of flipping the bmw swingarm over to left side. make a joint to the vmax final drive to fit into the bmw swingarm. weld a bracket to the final drive to take the torque arm of the paralever unit and subsequently weld the other end of the frame to bolt the torque arm to the frame.
for the monoshock.. i am intending to fabricate a crossover peice under the seat area to bolt the shock to.

i;m removing the gas tank totally and fabricating one to fit over the airbox.. like a normal bike's gas tank position.

thats how i intend to carry out this mod.. if the swingarm will be as strong as u said, then i hope this will be a truly working bike lol

i'm thinking of flipping the bmw swingarm over to left side. make a joint to the vmax final drive to fit into the bmw swingarm. weld a bracket to the final drive to take the torque arm of the paralever unit and subsequently weld the other end of the frame to bolt the torque arm to the frame.
for the monoshock.. i am intending to fabricate a crossover peice under the seat area to bolt the shock to.

i;m removing the gas tank totally and fabricating one to fit over the airbox.. like a normal bike's gas tank position.

thats how i intend to carry out this mod.. if the swingarm will be as strong as u said, then i hope this will be a truly working bike lol

If you're truly capable of this kind of fabrication and design then I worship at your feet...not many that could do this.....I look forward to updates as this would be really cool to see happening....

Rusty

I was thinking for the same idea but im progresing with the begining myself.
For now its on the fitting/measuring and i have still lot of work to do.
Whole swingarm willbe maded with aluminium PA9, eee generally its a work for
at lesat couple months :ummm:

So there's another bike with shaft on he left.
BMW K1200S, new model from i think 2005.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0335771749&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

It may be beautyful to fit whole set with whell and brake system.
This model have an ABS :)

Ah one more thing.
DO NOT MOVE TANK TO THE AIRBOX PLACE!
This is v-max and tank must be bellow you ass :p
Those tanks in place on airbox are ugly :)
There's a couple of ways to make monoschock without replaceing the tank.
You can use a levers to fit the schock to anyware.

For exlample find a "330 rear tyre" thread ;)

I was thinking for the same idea but im progresing with the begining myself.
For now its on the fitting/measuring and i have still lot of work to do.
Whole swingarm willbe maded with aluminium PA9, eee generally its a work for
at lesat couple months :ummm:

So there's another bike with shaft on he left.
BMW K1200S, new model from i think 2005.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0335771749&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

It may be beautyful to fit whole set with whell and brake system.
This model have an ABS :)

Ah one more thing.
DO NOT MOVE TANK TO THE AIRBOX PLACE!
This is v-max and tank must be bellow you ass :p
Those tanks in place on airbox are ugly :)
There's a couple of ways to make monoschock without replaceing the tank.
You can use a levers to fit the schock to anyware.

For exlample find a "330 rear tyre" thread ;)
Might want to check out this Otec 330 Swingarm with full floating suspension on Exactrep's site. It's not single sided but impressive nonetheless. I didn't check the price but if you have to look at a price tag on most Otec stuff you can't afford it.

Latest posts

Back