Pissed off,feelin a bit defeated

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREEN light BLITZ

Reaction score
So a mobile DYNO made its appearence at my local bike night...I put her up for her first ever run that brought numbers to the table...honestly Im feelin a little defeated.I had a pretty basic number for stock and I didnt make what I wanted. Looks like I need to work out some kinks...Maybe next time.
All told:
1985 V-max 1200
107.58 Horse
71 foot pounds of torque

My constant V-boost was true to form,my bike ran so rich it actually fluctuated its way OFF the chart at one point...:bang head:Im going to TRY to fix my old boost control and put it back to stock (previous owner did a toggle switch on/off for it) Next time I have her on a drum I hope to have her cammed and better tuned,eventually fuel injected...

Then to top it off,having already felt like my Max failed to meet its reputation as power hungry, rice bike killer and knowing I failed to have her in top shape...some ass clown on a ZX12 threw his bike on it and made 153 at the wheel...:looser: Lookin stupid? Ill take whats left of my pride and be going home now.At least I know my issues rather than guess.

dont be so hard on yourself, first time i had mine on there i pulled similar numbers. have since went to a stage 7 setup and an hmf full exhaust, now getting a little under 120. maybe 4-5 more to get with some fine tuning. still not as much as most of the liter bikes, but its a v max. when you attend a non vmax event how many of the same sportbikes do you see versus v max"s? that in itself is worth 30 extra hp lol! one sure way to solve the problem would be to get the new gen max and send them sportbike boys runnin with their tails between their legs!

later odieoh24

Don't start comparing the dyno HP numbers of a modern sport bike to the Gen 1 VMax. Remember the VMax motor is based on a TOURING bike motor and hasn't been changed since 85 where a sportbike motor is based on a race tested motor and has 20 plus years more technology put into it. For a more accurate comparison, use a Gen 2 VMax.

also remember each bike is specific. get the a/f curve right and the hp an tq numbers will be what they will be. can u upload the a/f curve?

mine with a morleys and walkers is knocking on 120's door, but another guy running walkers and his kit is running 121, so it all depends on the bike.

With a full exhaust and Morley's kit not really fine tuned I pulled 124 at the wheel with something like 76lbft. I had about 3000 miles on it at the time.

You just need some better parts to let the baby suck and blow! lol

Chris

Well at least I have a place to start,knowing the issue is half the battle.I already have it running better than last night so in due time Ill take another stab at it.I took some really bad pictures of the graph read out...I dont have a scanner:confused2:. I guess I was just kinda blue about it last night but it has me more determined and eager to make it run even more fierce...Not to mention if it was a sound competition,my Max butt raped the sport bikes into submission hands down! I have never been behind my own bike at high revs before,most people say the Max sounds like a V8 car but with my pipe set up it sounds much more like a twin engine plane.I was pleased and the sport bike guys were baffled in ahhhh.

Attachments

• HPIM1512.JPG
    HPIM1512.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 85
  • HPIM1511.JPG
    HPIM1511.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 47
Mine stock made 107hp at the rear wheel also, so if you're rich there's more on the table. If you are running vboost open the whole time, that will actually lean you up on the lower rpms. Look at the higher rpms to see what mains you want to try next. If you are rich now on the low end, you will be even richer on the low end running normal vboost (6,000rpms). In reference to the other bike that dynoed after you...I've seen a new vmax on the same dyno I used "only" pull in the 150ish hp range 100% stock and he was a bit dissapointed also.

if ur going back to stock vboost thats gonna change that curve. with stock jetting and stock headers i'd say go back. if u left it as is, i'd say drop the main one or two and see where ur at. careful down this path tho man. takes a LOT of time.

Stock needles spaced up one. Like I said. If I had hours of time i'm sure I could get more out of it. I do not want to lose reliability which I have in spades now.

the guy who owned it before me rigged a bypass to the servo...boost on/off with a switch.I tried hooking it up back to stock but he either
A) fried the boost control
or
B)interupted the stock system some how more than I can find in making the bypass
But either way it did not work when reconnected unfortunately.
The air/fuel mixture showed I was running perfectly at idle and then around 3 grand or so POOF! Nothin but fuel comin through that engine. Looks like Ill be spending a few hours and some cash getting it set up a little better.

sounds like ur getting into needle main settings. if u drop ur mains your needle area will also go leaner. try a jet at a time?

wouldnt know honestly...Ill admit last time I had my carbs worked I payed some one else to do it.Not GREAT with carbs but learning

wouldnt know honestly...Ill admit last time I had my carbs worked I payed some one else to do it.Not GREAT with carbs but learning

There's a great tutorial in the carb section by Mark on how to work on your carbs, including how to change your jetting. Follow that, it is not hard to do.

changing things isn't hard! its figuring out what to change it to... haha

Yeah I'd start by going to 147.5's and setting the needles to their stock height.

The boost control was probably bad (somewhat common) so he bypassed it. I'd replace the unit with a known good one.

Chris

I put mine on a mobile DYNO a while back too, maxed out at 95bhp... The guy had to leave the trailer because the fumes were making him gag!

A few months later, an opened airbox, a few carb bits from Sean and a shop that had a DYNO gave me 120bhp - and a perfect A/F ratio

Look at your results in a positive way, now you know what you must do to get the most from your engine

So a mobile DYNO made its appearence at my local bike night...I put her up for her first ever run that brought numbers to the table...honestly Im feelin a little defeated.I had a pretty basic number for stock and I didnt make what I wanted. Looks like I need to work out some kinks...Maybe next time.
All told:
1985 V-max 1200
107.58 Horse
71 foot pounds of torque

My constant V-boost was true to form,my bike ran so rich it actually fluctuated its way OFF the chart at one point...:bang head:Im going to TRY to fix my old boost control and put it back to stock (previous owner did a toggle switch on/off for it) Next time I have her on a drum I hope to have her cammed and better tuned,eventually fuel injected...

Then to top it off,having already felt like my Max failed to meet its reputation as power hungry, rice bike killer and knowing I failed to have her in top shape...some ass clown on a ZX12 threw his bike on it and made 153 at the wheel...:looser: Lookin stupid? Ill take whats left of my pride and be going home now.At least I know my issues rather than guess.
Hey Ace,
bring her over if you want and we`ll get her back to stock settings.
Remember that Fargo told you that 110 H.P. was normal and the vboost open all the time would kill your power up top so, The opening the v boost is just for fun kinda thing and not a performance mod !! so don`t feel bad cause back in 85` it was the beast of the road but that was 24 years ago and now the max is a bike of choice. technology has passed us by and we just have to live with it!!
<<Dave>>

THESE BIKES ARE NOT RICE ROCKETS :confused2:, THERE ACTUALLY REALLY COOL LOOKING ANCHORS !...:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Back