please evaluate this bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iatrosb

Reaction score
Hi all! New to the forum, not new to riding. I'm looking to enter the legendary world of Mr. Max. From all my research, I decided to look for a bike with a few mods to compensate for some of his short-comings. Here is a bike I found:

'93
30,000 miles
great cosmetic condition
mods:
full exhaust with jardine mufflers
R1 front caliper conversion, new HH brake pads
rear 17" conversion with 190 series radial tire, radial tire in front
MEK fork brace with progressive springs
Four individual carb airfilters
Price 4300

Couple questions if you don't mind.
1. Is the price reasonable? You can find a stock v-max in my area for 3,000-3,500 fairly easily, but this is clearly worth more than stock. Right? 17" conversion alone seems worth $1000?
2. What specific things should I look for on a modded bike to ensure it was done right (especially with the rear conversion)?

Thanks in advance for responses. Read alot of stuff on here, you guys are great!

i didn't know jardine made a full exhaust system, i would be weary of that, because if they are stock headers the individual air filters may not work well. i'd ask if the full stage 7 jet kit or just the air filters are on

even given that, the 17" radial is quite nice, is the swingarm notched? and it seems like a decent price.

iatrosb: Welcome to the VMax Forum. If you like it, price is irrelevant. You'll be spending more when the Mod Monkey gets a hold of your wallet... As was mentioned ask a few questions about the actual setup...

That's a bit pricey, so it better be in good condition...

I agree 100% with what Garrett above said.

Having a previously modded bike seems like a great thing, but make SURE it's been done right and not hacked.

I've also never heard of a Jardine full exhaust. Your best (safest) bet is to take pictures and post them here for us to look at. We can give you a educated response.

Chris

Thanks for the input! That's very good advice and exactly what I'm looking for. I want to make a rational decision before I get on the bike and experience v-boost...I probably won't be rational after that.

Here's a description of the exhaust from the seller:

"It has new full exhaust with throaty sound but not too loud new headers stainless steel and Jardine mufflers"

I've attached some pictures. Thanks again!

Attachments

• vmax1.jpg
    vmax1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 152
  • vmax2.jpg
    vmax2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 150
  • vmax3.jpg
    vmax3.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 137
Looks like a nice enough bike, if it's in as good a condition as it says then it could be a good'un.

Individual air filters suck AFAIC, but putting back the OEM air box is not a big thing. New exhaust sounds good, stainless too! Jardines are great - I had some - and sound lovely, but this is of course no performance exhaust - headers need to be bigger to help breathing.

I would look at it, ride it, then try talking the price down. Up to 4k if it's in really good nick, that's what I would pay, but not more for a '93, as you can get a '99 or '00 for just about 4k.

they really look like slip ons to me but ask for bigger pics!

WOW small pictures... :confused2:

They look like stock headers. Best way to tell is to look at the rear down tubes. Put your head underneath the bike and look up. If they're really small, then they're stock.

There are other easier ways, but hard to explain.

I'm not a skull guy and it looks like he's got them all over the bike... To each their own I say...

I also DO NOT see a stage 7 crank case vent which makes me wonder... Front fender fits as well as a wet rag... Too much gap for my liking...

4300 is looking VERY high to me now.

Chris

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-29 at 9.32.53 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-03-29 at 9.32.53 AM.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 56
A second gear check might also be a good idea.

If the bike pops out of 2nd gear under acceleration then you are looking at a very pricey case split for R&R.

Can you try to get some bigger/clearer pictures? Can't really tell if it has headers or not, but AFAIK Jardine only made slip on cans.

The 17" rear wheel and radials is a big plus, but the first rule of the mod monkey is thou shalt not recoup your dollhairs upon reselling of the bike. You can put $5k of mods on a bike that originally cost you $3k. Now it's worth maybe $4500 if you were to sell it....buyers view mods as a "nice bonus" but will rarely pay much extra for them.

Quiz the owner a bit on the setup....the individual air filters and full exhaust(if it really is) won't mean much if the carbs have never been tuned. See if the guy knows what he's talking about. If he just threw parts at it....ehhh.....

When you ride it, get it into second, drop the gas, and let it go until redline. If it slips out of gear, do not hesitate to just walk away, or use that as a 50% off coupon on the price.

$4300 seems pretty high. I got my '97 with 1/4 the miles and twice the extras and without the gay paint job for $4500.

Like someone else said, you can buy a 99-00 for that price un-modded, then again the wheel conversion is about a grand and if the exhaust, if it's a full exhaust and not just slip ons is about 600-800 bucks, So price may be OK but if it was me I'd look for a slightly newer one and let us helpm you Mod it.

We'll be glad to help:biglaugh:

+1 on the second gear check, never buy a vmax without doing that.

Individual air filters can be just fine if they are doing right, if not they can suck a big hooter.....

Welcome to the forum

Rusty

+1 to the rear wheel offset... DANG! That seems like a lot.

Here's mine for reference purposes... It's offset but not quite as much.

Chris

Attachments

• 100_2401.jpg
    100_2401.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 49
The wheel offset the first thing I noticed. Wow! that puppy is kicked out. I'm wondering how well the mesh is.
I blew up the pics a little, and the pipes do look like the stockers with slip-ons.

Those are definitely Jardine slip-ons. Delkevic sells stainless head pipes if they are really stainless as stated and not stock chrome but the rears would still be stock. Find out who made the rear wheel.

Like Bill just said, that is quite an offset. I would definitely ask what type of wheel as well as where did the swingarm come from. And ride it. They say you dont but I think you'd have to be able to feel that much offset. It looks pretty clean but pics are hard to tell. Just make sure whoever did the mods knew what the hell they were doing. There's all the help that you'd hope to never need here. But you don't want a bike that you gonna have problems with. That will get old fast. And by the way welcome to the best forum on the Internet. I've met alot of real cool VERY helpful people here. Good luck!! Ed

Man. I was hesitant to post on this forum cause I don't own a Max yet...but I am SURE glad I did! You guys give some great advice. I'm leaning toward buying stock, newer year, and doing my own mods (with ur help of course). I am always leary about buying someone else's modded work and you guys are re-inforcing that. If I'm spending 3,500-4,000 I can probably get into the year 2000's stock.

Good thoughts, gonna think about it more. :worthy:

When you ride it, get it into second, drop the gas, and let it go until redline. If it slips out of gear, do not hesitate to just walk away, or use that as a 50% off coupon on the price.

I'm kinda nervous to do that on a maiden voyage for me on the v-max. Fear the boost right?:eek:

A second gear check might also be a good idea.

If the bike pops out of 2nd gear under acceleration then you are looking at a very pricey case split for R&R.

At what point don't maxes have 2nd gear problems, or is it all of them. mike

i think i looked at that bike last year found it on craigs list in kansas city if its the same bike it has slipons and the rear wheel is offset pretty far. i thought it was too high when i looked at it at 3900 last dec for the miles

Latest posts

Back