Punishing final ride of the season

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
So I was all ready to park my Mistress for the winter; added some seafoam and I wanted to run it through the carbs so I grabbed my little half-helmet and went out for a final ride last night. It was really nice out and there was a thunderstorm gathering in the north. The lightning filled the sky - it was great. So instead of taking a spin around the block I decide that a longer ride is in order. What I don't realize is that there is like a 50mph wind on my back as I'm heading toward the lightning. As soon as I feel a raindrop I figure out that it is time to head home...

So now I'm going 60 or 70mph south, and the wind is still blowing 50mph toward me. I've got no eye/face protection and the rain turns into hail. :bang head:

what doesn't kill ya my friend. at least u went out with a bang and the rubber side was down eh?

I hate it when that happens. Hail Sucks... Atleast you got back safely.... That makes it a good ride...

You need to become a snow bird, our riding season is really just starting here in Florida. I'd die if I had to park the bikes for months. I don't care how much fun the snow is... I haven't seen any in many years.

dave where in the heck have you been! we thought our house was gonna blow down so we all stayed away from the windows/.

last year a straight line wind blew some guys house to pieces and ripped a church to shreds right next to us

You need to become a snow bird, our riding season is really just starting here in Florida. I'd die if I had to park the bikes for months.

Same here. I come alive this time of year in southern Arizona.

Only one problem. My bike is down for the moment.

(See the "Trouble in Paradise" thread).

I'll be up this weekend come hell or high water. And high water is unlikely in the desert this time of year.

So I was all ready to park my Mistress for the winter; added some seafoam and I wanted to run it through the carbs so I grabbed my little half-helmet and went out for a final ride last night. It was really nice out and there was a thunderstorm gathering in the north. The lightning filled the sky - it was great. So instead of taking a spin around the block I decide that a longer ride is in order. What I don't realize is that there is like a 50mph wind on my back as I'm heading toward the lightning. As soon as I feel a raindrop I figure out that it is time to head home...

So now I'm going 60 or 70mph south, and the wind is still blowing 50mph toward me. I've got no eye/face protection and the rain turns into hail. :bang head:

And here I thought I was the squid. Man, I can't ride w/o my trusty safety glasses - at the very least. (And I mean the very least)

Getting caught in hail really sucks - glad you made it through safely.

I know it's not funny man but I busted up when I read that, sounds like my luck.:rofl_200:Oh well, you got your last ride in any way.

Everyday above ground teaches us something new...so , what did you learn from your last ride for this year...? :confused2:

:whistlin:

Glad you made it home all right. I learned I'm glad I wear a full face helmet 100% of the time.

It sucks you have to park your bike so long. It's hit and miss in the winter here in DFW, today was nice, tomorrow might be in the 20s. I can't imagine having to park the bike for more than a month at most and that would be rain or too cold in Jan/Feb. It was 77 today at 3:00, but 58 at 9:00 am. With the wind blowing 15mph, 58 is nippy.

Of course, it's parked at the moment (see stranded thread)
Travis

The last time I got caught in a summertime down pour with my beanie and goggles was the last time I wore the beanie. It was raining those big fat rain drops and filled my goggles instantly. I finally got pulled over under an overpass and my face was beet red from being pelted. As soon as I got home I got in my truck and went to the local shop and bought a fullface and haven't looked back.
Duke

I can't handle putting the Max away for the winter. I mean, people ride snowmobiles, right? Biggest hurdle is usually the driveway--200 yds. long and only 1/2 blacktop. If I can get it to the street and the roads are dry, I'll ride if it's 30 or above. Dress right, and you don't notice the cold. And I feel safer in the winter. What to cagers always say after they hit a biker? "I didn't see him!" When you're out riding in January, they say, "Look at that crazy S.O.B.!" Problem solved.

Hell, anybody can ride when it's 80. Winter on the Max rocks!

i ride if its 40 or above, but ya if you dress right it doesnt feel bad at all, just find something for your neck lol...

i do think the max runs a little cold in the winter time if you know what i mean.. i can ride for 35 minutes and look down and the heat needle is just barely off the C

i ride if its 40 or above, but ya if you dress right it doesnt feel bad at all, just find something for your neck lol...

i do think the max runs a little cold in the winter time if you know what i mean.. i can ride for 35 minutes and look down and the heat needle is just barely off the C

I agree, Matt. But I also believe the motor loves that cold dense air and makes more power. Trade-off is that the tires don't warm up as much in colder weather, and cracking the trottle hard can get more exciting than usual.

I agree, Matt. But I also believe the motor loves that cold dense air and makes more power. Trade-off is that the tires don't warm up as much in colder weather, and cracking the trottle hard can get more exciting than usual.

ya i thought that too but i wasnt gonna say anything, when my max is hot, like needle close to the red in summertime, it bogs on me on the launches. i think it likes it when the needle is half way

Hey Sam, How is that New York weather? It is 65 and sunny in Fl. Tomorrow it will be 75. Sure is nice riding weather:rofl_200:

Well, seeing as how you asked Kevin....it's pretty pleasant up here, about 7 deg. this morning with a strong wind, I believe the sun was out for a couple minutes but it's gone now and it's getting ready to snow.....again!

All in all, it's pretty nice riding here too..........in my GMC!!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I kept hearing all this talk about how this was going to be a "very mild" winter. Its not even winter yet and its been cold as hell here in PA!

We were supposed to have built a new tower in Erie by the end of the year but ran into some permitting issues. Just got word last night that the permit has been approved and we can now go to work. Just in time for the 3' of snow up there. YEAH! :bang head::bang head::bang head:

Back