purchased ufo's

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Max#235

Reaction score
Hey guys,
After listening to all the comments on the thread and doing a little homework, I decide to purchase the Quadzilla UFO pipes from Jon for my '05. I contacted Jon several times through e-mail and he promtly(the next day) responded. He knocked off $120.00 after I told him his name was 'mud' on several sites. He tried to explain that there were issues in the past regarding fitment of pipes, but that since he has started to do the work in house, he hasn't had complaints. i promptly had the entire system (including the exhaust) ceramic coated again from a local guy (www.fireballcoatings.com). Hopefully that should eliminate any of the rust or discoloration issues I have been hearing about. It seems that the only supporter of ufo pipes on the site is Rusty. As he has mentioned, these pipes are loud as hell. I hope I don't get pinched by the cops.... btw... is there a noise bi-law for motorcycles in general be it Canada or the States(i'm in Toronto). Anyway the reason i'm writing is this:
1. I installed the pipes myself which seemed pretty painless. I don't have any leaks from the headers, so that's good. I did not do any carb tweaking yet. That being said, I believe I am running to rich. What are the signs of this and how do I rectify it? I have noticed that my throttle response is not what it was with the stock set up. Also I don't feel that same surge or punch when the v-boost kicks in at 6500 or so. May this also be a result of running to rich. Should I have a stage 1 installed? Would this help?
Sorry for the lengthy e-mail and thanks in advance for any help.
Dom
________
Live Sex Webshows

Last edited:
Dom, I would drop your main jets 1 or two sizes. Check your float levels and adust your mixture screws.

Dom,

First off congrats on the purchase. There are certain noise restriction bylaws around, know a guy here in Tiverton that got a letter from the municipality citing complaints, so you will have to be somewhat careful in residential areas. Having said that my HMF system isnt exactly quiet and I haven't been pinched yet, at least for noise :punk:. You will have to go down to 147.5 Mikuni mains to get the best performance out of those pipes based upon what myself and others in the area have had to do when installing aftermarket systems.

On another note you should come up to Kincardine May 30-June 1st for our 3rd Annual Spring Ice Breaker VMOA ride. We should have ~45-50 Maxes there this year and it will be a great time. For more information PM me or go to the bottom of the VMF home page under upcoming events and follow the link(s).

Just a question regarding aftermarket system jetting. All my life I have been told if you increase air flow you need to increase fuel. (I have also been told slightly lean gives more power that other settings.) Reducing jets one or two sizes seems wrong if airflow is increased with better exhaust systems. Could someone please explain why a Max needs smaller jets with an aftermarket system? :confused2:

Air flow isn't increased, exhaust flow is. Increasing exhaust flow richens, increasing intake flow leans.

Thanks for the response. When changing exhaust I have always changed intake air flow and just assumed that would be done also. So if you go to a K&N, open the air box and/or other means of increasing intake air flow, the jets might have to be larger?

That's correct. This is why when some open up the air filter opening or remove the "Y" they run into some problems. In this example you have to restrict the main air jet, increase the main jet and may have to adjust the mixture screws.

Thanks for the response. When changing exhaust I have always changed intake air flow and just assumed that would be done also. So if you go to a K&N, open the air box and/or other means of increasing intake air flow, the jets might have to be larger?

One thing to be aware of is that you can increase intake flow too much with these carbs. If you open the airbox too much you will need air correctors like a Stage 7 kit. Otherwise good luck tuning :bang head:as these carbs need a certain level of inlet vacuum to operate correctly.

Sean Morley's kit is a fine example of how to correctly increase inlet air flow and maintain the airbox bottom.

Hey guys,
After listening to all the comments on the thread and doing a little homework, I decide to purchase the Quadzilla UFO pipes from Jon for my '05. I contacted Jon several times through e-mail and he promtly(the next day) responded. He knocked off $120.00 after I told him his name was 'mud' on several sites. He tried to explain that there were issues in the past regarding fitment of pipes, but that since he has started to do the work in house, he hasn't had complaints. i promptly had the entire system (including the exhaust) ceramic coated again from a local guy (www.fireballcoatings.com). Hopefully that should eliminate any of the rust or discoloration issues I have been hearing about. It seems that the only supporter of ufo pipes on the site is Rusty. As he has mentioned, these pipes are loud as hell. I hope I don't get pinched by the cops.... btw... is there a noise bi-law for motorcycles in general be it Canada or the States(i'm in Toronto). Anyway the reason i'm writing is this:
1. I installed the pipes myself which seemed pretty painless. I don't have any leaks from the headers, so that's good. I did not do any carb tweaking yet. That being said, I believe I am running to rich. What are the signs of this and how do I rectify it? I have noticed that my throttle response is not what it was with the stock set up. Also I don't feel that same surge or punch when the v-boost kicks in at 6500 or so. May this also be a result of running to rich. Should I have a stage 1 installed? Would this help?
Dom

If you get a ticket for loud pipe you can take it to court.
Just ask for the discovery and the Decibal reader they were using when they issued the sitation.
Basically They are supposed to be within 35FT when the measurement is taken.
Proof I am inocent until proven guilty copper!:double angry bird:

They are beat there! No pigs use a decabil meter so its a hear say.

FTP!

If you get a ticket for loud pipe you can take it to court.
Just ask for the discovery and the Decibal reader they were using when they issued the sitation.
Basically They are supposed to be within 35FT when the measurement is taken.
Proof I am inocent until proven guilty copper!:double angry bird:

They are beat there! No pigs use a decabil meter so its a hear say.

FTP!

im sure gonna feel like a dumbass if that works because when i was 16-18 i had subwoofers and ended up with 4 amplified stereo tickets 75 a pop....

Hey guys,
Dom

I'm not too far east of you, let me know when the exhaust is on.

In Texas you can get a ticket for a loud stereo as the law is a subjective measurement of if the stereo "can be heard" outside of the vehicle.

On exhaust there is no decibel number that is a maximum allowed, you can get a ticket for "loud exhaust" but it's subjective and easy to beat.

It's rarely an issue for bikes, they pretty much leave them alone. Cars they will ticket in a heart beat.

Rusty

I wish they would give some noise tickets for bikes around here. I am pretty tired of having my eardrums assaulted by the local irrigation pump crew and their "drag pipes."

Mike

IN NEW JERSEY, AND I QUOTE , READ TO ME BUY THE JUDGE , OUT OF THE LAW BOOK IN COURT " ANY AFTERMARKET EXAUST , BE IT QUITE OR LOUD OF ANY TYPE OTHER THEN FACTORY , IS ILLEGAL " , OH YEA , " PAY THE FINE SON " THE SCREWED UP THING WAS , BEFORE I STARTED RUNNING THE COPS , THE MAIN COP THAT USED TO BUST MY BALLS , HAD THE SAME KERKER HEADER ON HIS YAMAHA , ( I'D SEE HIM AT THE DEALER SOMETIMES ) , AND EVERYTIME HE SAW ME HE'D GIVE ME A TICKET FOR LOUD EXAUST ! SO THE THIRD TIME IN COURT , I TOLD THE JUDGE THAT OFFICER LADICO HAS THE SAME EXAUST ON HIS MOTORCYCLE THAT I HAVE ! HE SAID " OFFICER LADICO IS NOT ON TRIAL HERE SON ", WHAT A DICK , ONE THING IS FOR SURE , KNOWONE THAT KNOWS ME WONDERS WHY I HATE COPS ! :double angry bird::th_biggun::flamethrower: THERE ARE SOME "OK" ONES , BUT MOST ARE DICKS ! I'M FRIENDS WITH SOME, GREW UP WITH THEM , & WHEN THEY PUT THE UNIFORM ON , THEY TO TURN INTO DICKS ! THE SAD THING IS THEY KNOW THAT THEY DO & LAUGH ABOUT IT !

IN NEW JERSEY, AND I QUOTE , READ TO ME BUY THE JUDGE , OUT OF THE LAW BOOK IN COURT " ANY AFTERMARKET EXAUST , BE IT QUITE OR LOUD OF ANY TYPE OTHER THEN FACTORY , IS ILLEGAL " , OH YEA , " PAY THE FINE SON " THE SCREWED UP THING WAS , BEFORE I STARTED RUNNING THE COPS , THE MAIN COP THAT USED TO BUST MY BALLS , HAD THE SAME KERKER HEADER ON HIS YAMAHA , ( I'D SEE HIM AT THE DEALER SOMETIMES ) , AND EVERYTIME HE SAW ME HE'D GIVE ME A TICKET FOR LOUD EXAUST ! SO THE THIRD TIME IN COURT , I TOLD THE JUDGE THAT OFFICER LADICO HAS THE SAME EXAUST ON HIS MOTORCYCLE THAT I HAVE ! HE SAID " OFFICER LADICO IS NOT ON TRIAL HERE SON ", WHAT A DICK , ONE THING IS FOR SURE , KNOWONE THAT KNOWS ME WONDERS WHY I HATE COPS ! :double angry bird::th_biggun::flamethrower: THERE ARE SOME "OK" ONES , BUT MOST ARE DICKS ! I'M FRIENDS WITH SOME, GREW UP WITH THEM , & WHEN THEY PUT THE UNIFORM ON , THEY TO TURN INTO DICKS ! THE SAD THING IS THEY KNOW THAT THEY DO & LAUGH ABOUT IT !

Part of the reason I left that shithole of a state!! I left NJ in 1990 and never went back nor cared to even visit. I dont miss a thing about it but the jersey shores, and pork roll on a hard roll.
NJ has some anal and dumb ass laws, One: A bb gun is considered an asualt weapon due to its barrel length and if caught with one in your vehichle your facing a felony charge of up 5 to yrs. Trust me I know all about NJ gun laws Check out Evan Nappen if you ever get into trouble with any guns, he got me out of a charge. I was pulled over coming home from the pistol range one evening and the cop seen my shooting bag on the back seat and asked Do you have any weapons? I said yes, Before you knew it 5 cop cars slammed on my hood and locked up in a holding cell. Basically after 6 grand Evan got it thrown out of court. Sorry Dude but NJ sucks! Who else has to pay a toll every 10 miles, or pay the NJTRPK to drive on a shitty ass bumpy highway. I could go on and on about how NJ sucks.
What part are you from?

hey guys,
thanks for the info regarding the fine tunning of the bike and loud pipe infractions.
hopefully this will lean her out a bit and give back my throttle response.
QUESTION? could law enforcement force me to change out the pipes if i'm ticketed once, twice, several times? i'm also wondering if there is a way to 'tone down' the pipes a bit? i'm not lying when i tell you i have to turn the bike off at the corner of my street and role it into the garage. there is nothing in the immediate area that sounds like this monster. it has a distinctive rumble, yet it's certainly not harleyish, if you get what i mean. it's more of a dragstrip racer rumble. people would sometimes inadvertently drive into my lane with the stock pipes, but with these ufo's, traffic parts as i come down the road. they can't move out of the way fast enough. i'm absolutely floored by how loud they are. we'll have to wait and see how long it takes the wife to snap.
thanks again boys,
i'll keep you posted on the tunning issue.
i'll get pics soon
________
Gabryella live

Last edited:
hey guys,
thanks for the info regarding the fine tunning of the bike and loud pipe infractions.
hopefully this will lean her out a bit and give back my throttle response.
QUESTION? could law enforcement force me to change out the pipes if i'm ticketed once, twice, several times? i'm also wondering if there is a way to 'tone down' the pipes a bit? i'm not lying when i tell you i have to turn the bike off at the corner of my street and role it into the garage. there is nothing in the immediate area that sounds like this monster. it has a distinctive rumble, yet it's certainly not harleyish, if you get what i mean. it's more of a dragstrip racer rumble. people would sometimes inadvertently drive into my lane with the stock pipes, but with these ufo's, traffic parts as i come down the road. they can't move out of the way fast enough. i'm absolutely floored by how loud they are. we'll have to wait and see how long it takes the wife to snap.
thanks again boys,
i'll keep you posted on the tunning issue.
i'll get pics soon

I would call jon and ask him if he could fabricate an additional baffle. I dont see why not I know they make baffles in drag star pipes which is very similiar in design.
I wonder if and how much louder it is to a Kerker 2.5 comp baffle.
Dont you just love driving through parking garages, under passes, setting off all the car alarms :thumbs up:

HEY YANKEE, I'M 3 MILES NORTH OF SANDY HOOK , ON THE WATER , ATLANTIC HIGHLANDS, & NEW JERSEY DOES SUCK ! IF THE COPS WERE DODGING BULLETS ALL DAY , THEY WOULD'NT CARE ABOUT LOUD EXAUST ON A NICE MOTORCYCLE !

My grandfather used to take me fishing out on the party boats in Atlantic Highlands.. I do also miss party boat fishing. Southerns think cat fishing is great,, yeee haaa lets sit on a bank and wait 10 hours for a bite and drag in some dead weight.. lol

Latest posts

Back