PVC fork dust cover driver

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maleko89

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought some 1 1/2" schedule 40 thick wall and it doesn't fit 43 mm forks. Do I need to get the thin wall?

I have the forks off the bike and when I bottom the fork tubes they seem to stick...like the rebound spring is sticking. Will a good cleaning and new oil take care of this? I'm using 20 wt and not sure if that would make a difference. I'm also going to clean between the dust seals and inner tube.

Cheers,

Mark

^ I know some guys said they cut them length wise to get them to fit.

I bought some 1 1/2" schedule 40 thick wall and it doesn't fit 43 mm forks. Do I need to get the thin wall?

I have the forks off the bike and when I bottom the fork tubes they seem to stick...like the rebound spring is sticking. Will a good cleaning and new oil take care of this? I'm using 20 wt and not sure if that would make a difference. I'm also going to clean between the dust seals and inner tube.

Cheers,

Mark

I dont know if that will take care of it or not. I'm currently having the same issue, although when i bottomed out the fork to pump the old fluid out, mine STUCK!!! The only way i could get it apart, was to take it apart. Putting it together and trying it in various configurations (including NO SEALS) didnt help. I think its the plastic foot/bumper (on the 07) thats doing it, I have some on order.

I dont know if that will take care of it or not. I'm currently having the same issue, although when i bottomed out the fork to pump the old fluid out, mine STUCK!!! The only way i could get it apart, was to take it apart. Putting it together and trying it in various configurations (including NO SEALS) didnt help. I think its the plastic foot/bumper (on the 07) thats doing it, I have some on order.
I watched Morley's fork video and he says it is normal for it to stick w/o the springs in place. I'm going to clean them up, replace with full syn power steering fluid and retest.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Instead of cutting the Schedule 40 in half, cut a kerf lengthwise down one side. Use a heat gun to soften the tube wall on the side opposite of the kerf. Then close the tube.
The width of the kerf will be determined by the amount you need to reduce the diameter of the tube's O.D.

An option would be to get the fit you like, open the kerf, then glue it shut.

Instead of cutting the Schedule 40 in half, cut a kerf lengthwise down one side. Use a heat gun to soften the tube wall on the side opposite of the kerf. Then close the tube.
The width of the kerf will be determined by the amount you need to reduce the diameter of the tube's O.D.

An option would be to get the fit you like, open the kerf, then glue it shut.
I like the kerf idea. I could then fit over the tube and use a clamp to tighten the fit.

I think all schedule 40 pipe should be the same thickness. You sure you didn't get a hold of a piece of schedule 80 pipe instead, Mark?

I think all schedule 40 pipe should be the same thickness. You sure you didn't get a hold of a piece of schedule 80 pipe instead, Mark?
I'll check again but could have sworn it was stamped 40.

Pipe Schedule refers to the pipe’s wall thickness but that thickness is also dependent on the size of the pipe.
PVC Schedule 40 in ½” will not have the same wall thickness as PVC Schedule 40 in 6”
1 1/2" PVC Schedule 40 will have a wall thickness of 0.31 inch
1 1/2" PVC Schedule 80 will have a wall thickness of 0.42 inch

I think all 1 1/2" schedule 40 pipe should be the same thickness. You sure you didn't get a hold of a piece of schedule 80 pipe instead, Mark?

There. I clarified my previous statement for you Zeus. I thought it was a given that we were discussing 1 1/2" size PVC. I'll strive to be more precise in the future. :ummm:

There. I clarified my previous statement for you Zeus. I thought it was a given that we were discussing 1 1/2" size PVC. I'll strive to be more precise in the future. :ummm:

Dammit Jeff!

Love,

Mike

Lol, that's better than Kraut.

I had to change the seals out on my 95 after I got it home. Thought the PVC from my 90 would work. But due the slight size difference no cigar. I ended up just buying a seal driver off amazon.. It worked like a charm. Then again if you do cut them you just need to slid something else over them like a rubber band.. Tons of videos on you tube....

I used a fork seal driver from my local Honda dealer when I did the seal on my 2000.
I just took the forks to their shop and asked, I even offered them a few dollars and they declined.
I did end up taking them a 12 pack at closing time to thank them though.

I used 2" pvc and some kind of adapter on my 43mm forks. Just can't remember exactly what parts I used. Easy for me since we do lots of underground conduit work

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back