r + r'ed the motor this weekend...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR_NST

Reaction score
Okay, just a rant. ive worked on some ignorant bullshit before, but how in the hell do you get the motor out and back in with out scratching the living shit out of the bike. the motor mostly fell out, gravity was my buddy. no real scratches to speak of. but going back in... i had chainfalls, jacks, three people and enough swearing to make a jailyard blush.

anyway, like i said just a rant. but if that u joint wasnt in the way itd be a non issue. but i cant see putting the motor in with it not installed. as in bolt it up as the motor is pushed to the swing arm, with the gear preinstalled in the swingarm... it probably wouldnt work but id be worried about damaging the gear. ugh its just an ugly job.

Sean youve got some serious patience brother... anyone else feel the same or get pissed off at this repair???

the result is the bike is running and back to 110% but now the frame is gonna need some rehab.... oh well.

by the way solid motor mounts are a win. Feels more stable at high speeds

thanks for the vent!!!!!!!!!

peace,
evan

Evan, glad you got it back together. Sorry about the pains in the arse getting 'er back in.
It sounds like you had a better setup for an engine mounting than I did when I swapped engines in my old GS750. Jacks? Chains? Wish I had thought of that then. I used the old set the engine on an old tire, lay the bike down over it trick. The GS was an easier fit than the Max I reckon though.
If you get a chance to come down south before the end of the riding season I'd love to see the results.

take out the mid gear with the ujoint on it. Then take off the swingarm and reinstall it once you are done putting the engine in. With it done that way it's a one man job and takes maybe 10 minutes to stab the engine.

Sean

thanks sean. bike runs like a champ. ugh, i had the diff off and im sure the swing arm was 4 bolts too huh... oh well. hope everyone learns something from this. id like to say next time, but there better not be. i took out the DD mod. it was the dirty hard shifting that did this. aka beating the shyte out of it.

richard- it was a shitty summer but better late than never... lol

kory- sounds like a plan buddy. well figure something out.

thanks again and peace,
evan...

Feelin your pain, have had my motor back in frame for a week but waiting on one more part before fire up.

Took me,4 guys, a Jack and a crowbar to get my motor in without dropping it or tearing up my nickel plated parts.

I should mention that while my buddy and I were putting the case back together I pulled a muscle in my back rolling it over to do the underside! Keep in mind...624lb bike,bout 50lb of that is frame. ALOT of it is motor I'm thinkin? Lmao

and THAT is why you had to fight the nightmare!

Putting the frame on the engine sucks ass! If you simply spend the extra few minutes to pull off the mid gear (3 bolts) with the ujoint then it will slide in with one person and a floor jack. I did like you guys and fight it for years until I learned my lesson.

Sean

If you have at least one fella to help, get yourself a pair of 1" OD pipes at least 1 meter long each and use them as a SEDAN-CHAIR.
Works like a champ, no pain nor scratches.

13480_1.jpg

We did the casket carry too, but we used rebar for handles. Worked great getting the motor off the table and across the garage TO the bike but was only so helpfully once almost in frame. Hopefully the motor won't need to come out again any time soon!

I pulled the engine out of my old GS550e last week. It wasn't too bad though. I told my wife to get ready to call the ambulance if she hears a loud crash, LOL. I put a 2.5 gallon bucket next to the bike, layed on top of the frame and lifted it up and out the side. Gravity nearly got the best of me as I tried to balance the engine on the frame with one hand, long enough to get off the bike and get another grab. Another lift and it was balancing on the bucket. I threw a sheet of plywood on the creeper and transferred the motor on it and wheeled it across the basement floor. Dead lifting it up onto the workbench was the worst part of the process.

The frame is now bare and ready to be sold. Hopefully this week.

Putting the frame on the engine sucks ass! If you simply spend the extra few minutes to pull off the mid gear (3 bolts) with the ujoint then it will slide in with one person and a floor jack. I did like you guys and fight it for years until I learned my lesson.

Sean

I'm gonna remember this one for the future, if I have to disassemble it, thanks Sean.

Thanks for all of the support on this on everybody.

i used to work as an automotive engine machinist, i figured that witha decent manual (the online one), some experience (Sean) and some patience. it would be a simple job. i maybe shoulda emailed sean about some tips. lol.

There are alot of parts. when working on engines ive learned, bag em, label em, and put them on a shelf in the order you took them off. ORGANIZATION IS YOUR FRIEND.

The thing that really pissed me off... if you have the vmax manual thats floating around online... open chapter 2 pages 2.9 and 2.10. read point 31.

"Maneuver the engine into position in the frame and onto the jack."

i wanted to kick the author right in the balls. Maneuver... ya right!!! You know these little tips sean has are pure gold. Maneuver... ya fuckin right. for the most part the manual is good info, but boy they missed it on that one. Thanks for including a little bit more info haynes/clymer.

thanks again everyone. peace,
evan...

Attachments

• IMG_4996.jpg
    IMG_4996.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4998.jpg
    IMG_4998.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4999.jpg
    IMG_4999.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5001.jpg
    IMG_5001.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 27
  • whoops.jpg
    whoops.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
My engine is comming out this winter for a trans inspection, paint, and depending how much money is around, who knows?. I'm done struggling around the frame. It's a major pain in the ass. Great thread guys, thanks Sean and everybody else.
Steve-o

Latest posts

Back